Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1151596061

Thread: New Bike Thread...

Liked 1,255 in 729 posts

Default Re: New Bike Thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr OCD View Post
    Fairings have arrived... a BIG box... and me being all excited to get it open...

Oh...

... disappointed doesn't cover it.

The gloss painted parts look like they've been packed up too quickly after painting as lots of dull lacquer marks ... the box stinks of paint from the parts 'gassing' ... hopefully I can machine polish them out, so not end of the world.

The matt painted parts look more dull black than the slight metallic effect of the originals. Nothing I can do about that, so I'm not going to be able to mix and match as I hoped. It's all or nothing.

The graphics are frankly laughable... they are supposed to be gold ... more a yellow / orange.

I appreciate I'm fussy, but I was expecting a little better so I've fired off an email to Auctmarts.

Assuming they fit properly I'll just use the nose cone, side panels and tail unit as a short term solution to get the bike back on the road ... I'm mega busy with work and the house, so priority is to get the bike built. I'll then re-visit in Winter when I have a bit more time... if these panels do fit well I may just get them re-sprayed properly to save aggro.

Plan is to fit the nose cone / lights / ducts / etc. this weekend.

TBH feeling a bit peeved about the whole thing now and frankly lack the motivation to get the bike back in one piece.
    That's a massive shame mate..

Liked 8,397 in 4,818 posts

I feel really bad about it now

Liked 1,689 in 1,048 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    I feel really bad about it now
    It's all your fault. Your standards are slipping.

Be reet.

Toys back in pram.

Unpacked the gloss panels and set about seeing what I could do with them ... after a damn good polish they have come up extremely well.

Obviously not much I can do with the Matt panels but as long as I use all of them nobody will be the wiser.

New graphics ordered. Iím not putting up with these lol.

Iím hoping Auctmart come back with a bit of a refund to pay for the graphics. If they do then Iíll be happy enough with that.

Graphics cost £85.

Letís hope they fit ... a nice surprise was a smoked screen and full set of fasteners in the box.

Nose cone fully built up ... wiring loom swapped over and routed correctly which took some fettling. Also needed to align clock bracket as it mounts on rubber so a bit of flex for adjustment.

Reason for swapping the loom is that there was a recall on these bikes due to headlight loom overheating.

Itís ready to go back on the bike now. It never fails to amaze me how easy R1ís are to work on in general.

Tomorrow Iíll be removing the radiator, installing the tail unit and a few other bits.

Unlikely to do anymore until the radiator is repaired and the remaining parts from the dealer arrive.

7. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Mr OCD:

Liked 7,290 in 3,829 posts

Quote Originally Posted by couchcommando View Post
    An engine is designed to rev surely or are we saying using one as designed isn't ideal ?

I think if there were 2 identical bikes and one was crash repaired to an as new standard and one was never damaged which would you buy for the same price ?, it's strange that people wouldn't tell a dealer the bike was damaged but will happily buy from a dealer lol

If I was after a last generation superbike I'd happily buy this one knowing OCD had repaired it properly, but I'd want £1000 off , actually make that £750 off as I know it hasn't been thrashed
    Not just the engine though, its the chassis too, head bearings, swinging arm, brakes heat. Tracking a bike puts about as much stress on everything, way more than it would see in road use. The point i'm making is more about the deception though.

9. The following user liked this post made by Taipan:

Today involved fitting the new tail unit with all new clips and grommets which Iím please to say fits absolutely perfect with the lower OEM part.

I then polished it all up before fitting the new seat cowl transferring over the OEM lower section and foam pad, polishing that as well which also fits perfectly.

Swapped over the plastic tank cover as well and spent a bit of time cleaning dust and crap off the bike - gets everywhere.

Decided to leave nose cone off until radiator done as itís easier with nose cone off.

Need to decide if Iím going to use the OEM lowers or the Chinese ones - currently undecided.

Once the radiator is repaired Iím looking at a few hours work to finish. So it will be done on time as planned.

11. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Mr OCD:

Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1151596061
Go Back to Forum My Forum