TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 61 to 69 of 69

Thread: Dash-Cam footage and driving offences

  1. #61
    Should Get Out More Horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Always Sunny Central Southern England
    Posts
    16,995
    Like
    1,366
    Liked 1,913 in 1,274 posts

    Default Re: Dash-Cam footage and driving offences

    Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
    They were MUCH better in the 'good old days', mainly because we had pretty much the same amount of road network but only a fraction of the cars.
    And much more of that road space is under low speed limits, bordered by entrances and lined with double-whites.

    Ironically, vehicles are much faster now but you struggle to use it.


  2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
  3. #62
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Your friendly local advanced trainer :)
    Posts
    7,898
    Like
    478
    Liked 574 in 349 posts

    Default Re: Dash-Cam footage and driving offences

    Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
    They were MUCH better in the 'good old days', mainly because we had pretty much the same amount of road network but only a fraction of the cars.
    And oddly enough, road casualties have dropped dramatically as the roads have got more crowded. It's not ENTIRELY down to crashing more safely.

  4. #63
    A Bit Bored CrazyFrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Sunny Brummy
    Posts
    285
    Like
    146
    Liked 87 in 54 posts

    Default Re: Dash-Cam footage and driving offences

    Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    And oddly enough, road casualties have dropped dramatically as the roads have got more crowded. It's not ENTIRELY down to crashing more safely.
    Probably because average road speeds are much lower now due to congestion. On the roads and motorways round here you'd be lucky to be able to exceed 20mph in the rush hour....

  5. #64
    Should Get Out More Horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Always Sunny Central Southern England
    Posts
    16,995
    Like
    1,366
    Liked 1,913 in 1,274 posts

    Default Re: Dash-Cam footage and driving offences

    Look on Wikipedia for Smeed

    He came up with various theories, including one that the casualty rate reduces as the number of vehicles Vs population increases.

  6. #65
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Down in the Duchy (at last)
    Posts
    14,196
    Like
    3,142
    Liked 1,781 in 1,245 posts

    Default Re: Dash-Cam footage and driving offences

    Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    And oddly enough, road casualties have dropped dramatically as the roads have got more crowded. It's not ENTIRELY down to crashing more safely.
    A lot of it is though. Impact absorbing bumpers, crumple zones, seatbelts, airbags. side-impact bars, rigid safety cages, not to mention MOTs have all made a difference.

  7. #66
    Should Get Out More Horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Always Sunny Central Southern England
    Posts
    16,995
    Like
    1,366
    Liked 1,913 in 1,274 posts

    Default Re: Dash-Cam footage and driving offences

    John Adams*of*University College London*argues that Smeed's law linking deaths, vehicle-miles and population was still valid for a variety of countries over time, claiming that the relationship held for 62 countries in a paper published in 1995.[10]*He noted an enormous difference in fatality rates across different parts of the world in spite of safety interventions, and suggested that Smeed's Law was still useful in establish general trends, especially when using a very long time period. Variations from the trend were normally better explained through economics, rather than claimed safety interventions. However, Adams found that Smeed's calculation of estimated deaths from vehicles per population was less successful than the calculation for vehicle-miles.


    NB Smeed published this theory in 1946

    Here you are:

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smeed%27s_law

  8. #67
    Should Get Out More Horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Always Sunny Central Southern England
    Posts
    16,995
    Like
    1,366
    Liked 1,913 in 1,274 posts

    Default Re: Dash-Cam footage and driving offences

    Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
    A lot of it is though. Impact absorbing bumpers, crumple zones, seatbelts, airbags. side-impact bars, rigid safety cages, not to mention MOTs have all made a difference.
    However, the risk may transfer to other road users.

    A recent statistical study of states with and without seat belt laws was undertaken by Professor Christopher Garbacz of the University of Missouri-Rolla.*This study seems to support the altered driver behavior hypothesis.*Dr. Garbacz found that states with seat belt laws saw decreases in traffic fatalities for those covered by the laws (typically drivers and front-seat passengers), but*increases in fatalities for rear-seat passengers, cyclists, and pedestrians.*Further, the patterns of changes in total traffic fatalities among the states showed no consistent relationship with the existence of a seat belt law in the state.

    https://www.libertariannews.org/2010...yclist-deaths/

  9. The following user liked this post made by Horse:


  10. #68
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Your friendly local advanced trainer :)
    Posts
    7,898
    Like
    478
    Liked 574 in 349 posts

    Default Re: Dash-Cam footage and driving offences

    Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
    A lot of it is though. Impact absorbing bumpers, crumple zones, seatbelts, airbags. side-impact bars, rigid safety cages, not to mention MOTs have all made a difference.
    Quite likely... that's why I said "not ENTIRELY".

    Re Smeeds Law... "The law proposes that increasing traffic volume (an increase in motor vehicle registrations) leads to an INCREASE in fatalities per capita"

    But... "His hypothesis in relation to road traffic safety has been disputed by several authors, who point out that fatalities per person have decreased"

  11. #69
    Should Get Out More Horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Always Sunny Central Southern England
    Posts
    16,995
    Like
    1,366
    Liked 1,913 in 1,274 posts

    Default Re: Dash-Cam footage and driving offences

    Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    But... "His hypothesis in relation to road traffic safety has been disputed by several authors, who point out that fatalities per person have decreased"
    Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    John Adams*of*University College London*argues that Smeed's law linking deaths, vehicle-miles and population was still valid for a variety of countries over time, claiming that the relationship held for 62 countries in a paper published in 1995.[10]*He noted an enormous difference in fatality rates across different parts of the world in spite of safety interventions, and suggested that Smeed's Law was still useful in establish general trends, especially when using a very long time period. Variations from the trend were normally better explained through economics, rather than claimed safety interventions. However, Adams found that Smeed's calculation of estimated deaths from vehicles per population was less successful than the calculation for vehicle-miles.

    NB Smeed published this theory in 1946

    Here you are:

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smeed%27s_law
    Adams' (a fairly reputable author) seems fair and honest, doesn't he?

    Considering what the world was like in 1946, and difficulties in gathering and processing data then, I'd say that a theory proposed then which held [fairly] true for 50 years across over 60 countries, wasn't too shabby.


    Bold bit re safety improvements, perhaps suggesting that they are in a similar evidence boat to 'training'?
    Last edited by Horse; 10-10-17 at 07:15.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Go Back to Forum My Forum