TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Do bikes cost more than they used to?

Liked 1,094 in 561 posts

Default Re: Do bikes cost more than they used to?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by couchcommando View Post
    But 70 a month, I'm no credit fan but for most folk earning and considering a new bike it's peanuts. If you saved for 5 years you'd lose more by buying one and keeping it 3 years.
    I'm still trying to find the 'catch' with this deal. I know 4k miles a year is not a lot, but probably enough for me at the moment.

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,847 in 2,368 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordboy View Post
    I'm still trying to find the 'catch' with this deal. I know 4k miles a year is not a lot, but probably enough for me at the moment.
    The catch is that you're paying more for the bike than if you paid cash for it.

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

Liked 1,094 in 561 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    The catch is that you're paying more for the bike than if you paid cash for it.

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk
    They are giving 3000+ as the dealer deposit (or discount?) then 0% finance. I certainly wouldn't get that sort of discount at my local Homda dealer.

I'm guessing the only thing that bothers me is the high end payment, would it be worth that in 3 years?

Liked 8,225 in 4,645 posts

I thought Couchie might have misheard someone, but he's right....

http://www.johnbanks.co.uk/honda-bik...ferdetail.aspx

There's got to be come catch, surely?

Should Get Out More MyLittleStudPony's Avatar
    Liked 2,453 in 1,427 posts
    Blog Entries

That does sounds like a really good deal. I hate credit but 70 a month for three years is in amazing deal IMO.

I guess the catches are you have to keep it for three years and the 4k miles a year limit but I dont think they'd be significant barriers for me.

Liked 10,865 in 6,145 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MyLittleStudPony View Post
    That does sounds like a really good deal. I hate credit but 70 a month for three years is in amazing deal IMO.

I guess the catches are you have to keep it for three years and the 4k miles a year limit but I dont think they'd be significant barriers for me.
    I'd still be handing it back with 8000 spare miles!

Liked 4,350 in 2,176 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MyLittleStudPony View Post

I would be bolloxed by the mileage limit

I guess they need to do something to shift the old stock ready for the next model and with the lack of takeup on the DCT version hence the bargaintastic deal

Liked 6,243 in 3,217 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    I'd still be handing it back with 8000 spare miles!
    Me too - although obviously atm because I'm not there.

But even when I was living in the UK I didn't put 4k miles a year on my bike.
    Like I said, for 70 a month I'd have it sitting there for when I fancied a ride, and on a bike like the AT I'd probably do a couple of weekends away to visit people that I normally might not use a bike for.

My only worry would be whether I can just simply hand it back after 3yrs, or whether they'd find some way to hit you with hidden charges or a gazzillion quid fee for sorting out the small scratches.

Liked 10,865 in 6,145 posts

Quote Originally Posted by icarus1859 View Post
    Me too - although obviously atm because I'm not there.

But even when I was living in the UK I didn't put 4k miles a year on my bike.
    Like I said, for 70 a month I'd have it sitting there for when I fancied a ride, and on a bike like the AT I'd probably do a couple of weekends away to visit people that I normally might not use a bike for.

My only worry would be whether I can just simply hand it back after 3yrs, or whether they'd find some way to hit you with hidden charges or a gazzillion quid fee for sorting out the small scratches.
    They generally seem to be pretty fair from what i've seen with other people who've had them using PCP.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 334 in 210 posts

Who knows if it is a bad deal. A friend bought a Toyota on PCP. I cannot see any massive downside, apart from the lock-in to Toyota.

The Toyota is a lock-in to dealer servicing, at least if you don't want to go give them excuses to make life difficult at the end of the term; and I think there is a lock-in to dealer-chosen insurance, or at least she feels there is. These are ways for the dealer to to top up their profits. And after 5 years, it gives the dealer a very good shot at selling her another Toyota, as the choice is to stump up several thousand at price point which is too low to walk away yet high enough to make to make choppoing it in for a special deal on a new car from the same dealer tempting.

Should Get Out More couchcommando's Avatar
    Liked 3,837 in 1,725 posts

The 3000 discount up front is the big bit, you can't get that discount buying cash as my brother went today with cash, he'll pay 1000 more. 70 a month is 2520 any new bike loses that in 3 years and the risk is theirs. Ignore the final price as I'd just hand it back and if I liked it buy another on a similar deal.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 3,677 in 2,454 posts

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Who knows if it is a bad deal. A friend bought a Toyota on PCP. I cannot see any massive downside, apart from the lock-in to Toyota.

The Toyota is a lock-in to dealer servicing, at least if you don't want to go give them excuses to make life difficult at the end of the term; and I think there is a lock-in to dealer-chosen insurance, or at least she feels there is. These are ways for the dealer to to top up their profits. And after 5 years, it gives the dealer a very good shot at selling her another Toyota, as the choice is to stump up several thousand at price point which is too low to walk away yet high enough to make to make choppoing it in for a special deal on a new car from the same dealer tempting.
    You lot buy cars & bikes on PCP? You're all mad!

Liked 3,830 in 2,534 posts

Reported

14. The following user liked this post made by Horse:

Liked 5 in 4 posts

Depends what bike and where you live.

Around where I live sports bikes went up a lot - new prices especially but also second hand.

Communters or naked bike second hand are OK prices still, but new yeah they went up somewhat, but sports bikes...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission