TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Rules for riding in Europe...and staying alive?

Liked 1,959 in 1,306 posts

Default Re: Rules for riding in Europe...and staying alive?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    "Interesting, but not very funny "

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
    Should Get Out More
    Liked 580 in 353 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Noggin View Post
    Loads of PaD junctions in my bit of France

I got caught out last season in one of the resort areas... couldn't see any road markings
    There's your clue...

Now I fully understand the system (and it took a woman who is half Greek, half French and born in Solihull to get the message across), it really doesn't bother me... if I'm not sure, I just slow down and double-check.

Usually, drivers emerging from a Priority a Droit don't just drive out... though on one of my training courses, one tractor and trailer combo did shoot straight out at 30mph from behind a high hedge. Fortunately, it was the trainee who'd taken the message on board who was leading, and he'd already slowed right down. Lucky really - the other trainee was from the "doesn't exist any more mate" school of thought and had ignored my briefing and several subsequent stops for a reminder on his first ride. He was visibly shocked by the (non) incident at lunchtime!

Liked 2,089 in 1,030 posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    There's your clue...

Now I fully understand the system (and it took a woman who is half Greek, half French and born in Solihull to get the message across), it really doesn't bother me... if I'm not sure, I just slow down and double-check.

Usually, drivers emerging from a Priority a Droit don't just drive out... though on one of my training courses, one tractor and trailer combo did shoot straight out at 30mph from behind a high hedge. Fortunately, it was the trainee who'd taken the message on board who was leading, and he'd already slowed right down. Lucky really - the other trainee was from the "doesn't exist any more mate" school of thought and had ignored my briefing and several subsequent stops for a reminder on his first ride. He was visibly shocked by the (non) incident at lunchtime!

Not really - as in, with snow on the road and a mound of snow in the way, there was not way to see if there were any road markings!!!

And sadly, up here, other drivers do 'just pull out', even when it isn't PaD - and this incident was at the right time to be after the 'after work drinks', he kept saying he'd call the Gendarmes and I kept saying yes, but he didn't and I didn't think it was 100% necessary - only cos he was screaming and yelling at me

Also, on this particular bit, there is a lot of dispute about the PaD as really the people joining the main bit should give way as we were going up hill. But I was English and the other guy was French and none of the French were going to help me!! LOL Had to just hand it on to the insurance companies

Should Get Out More
    Liked 580 in 353 posts

Not really - as in, with snow on the road and a mound of snow in the way, there was not way to see if there were any road markings!!!
    Exactly... so take the fail-safe approach - assume PaD.

Anyway, all a bit disconcerting by the sound of it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    Exactly... so take the fail-safe approach - assume PaD.

Anyway, all a bit disconcerting by the sound of it.

TBF, this was mid Feb and I'd driven that road a minimum of three times a week from December. It wasn't somewhere I didn't know (it's part of my resort). No one had ever pulled out and people HAD given way, so there was no way for me to even suspect that it was PaD - especially given the nugget of info about giving way to vehicles going uphill.

I'm not meaning to sound argumentative, just don't want to come across as not taking relevant care. Despite the fact that there was an incident (no a lot to be done when a car just pulls out! Its very rare that I've been in that situation and its the only accident i've had in four seasons of driving out here )

When it's snowing or there's snow on the ground, I do tend to take a lot of care. Especially when carrying passengers.

Liked 3,508 in 2,375 posts

... and this incident was at the right time to be after the 'after work drinks'...
    Maybe you shouldn't have had that last glass of wine "for the road".

8. The following user liked this post made by saga_lout:

Quote Originally Posted by saga_lout View Post
    Maybe you shouldn't have had that last glass of wine "for the road".

If only I'd had that excuse. The other driver did though, I'm sure, Cos he looked directly at us as he'd started to pull out but didn't stop or slow at all!! Hey ho. Live and learn!

Really Bored
    Liked 242 in 155 posts

If only I'd had that excuse. The other driver did though, I'm sure, Cos he looked directly at us as he'd started to pull out but didn't stop or slow at all!! Hey ho. Live and learn!
    https://media.ents24network.com/imag...84dc94ec0c.jpg

11. The following user liked this post made by Scootabout:

Liked 990 in 654 posts

http://www.drivingriskmanagement.co....-to-see-errors

13. The following user liked this post made by slowsider:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Go Back to Forum My Forum