TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irma

Liked 3,493 in 2,364 posts

Default Re: Hurricane Irma

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
    I'm watching rolling news on the telly at work. If I see another reporting in wet weather gear standing in the wind and rain I'm going to fucking scream......
    I'll get my ear plugs.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
    Liked 599 in 352 posts

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
    I'm watching rolling news on the telly at work. If I see another reporting in wet weather gear standing in the wind and rain I'm going to fucking scream......
    I really wish one of these twats would get taken out by a flying dumpster, a 200mmph piece of lumber or washed out to sea & drown during a report. If the fucking camera crew can do their jobs without standing in the water there's no reason the reporter can't. They don't set themselves on fire during reports of forest fires, throw themselves out of aircraft when reporting on plane crashes or grab hold of 33KVa powerlines when telling us about power outages.

Quote Originally Posted by ZRX61 View Post
    I really wish one of these twats would get taken out by a flying dumpster, a 200mmph piece of lumber or washed out to sea & drown during a report. If the fucking camera crew can do their jobs without standing in the water there's no reason the reporter can't. They don't ... grab hold of 33KVa powerlines when telling us about power outages.
    But if they did and the power came back on that would be comedy gold.

5. The following user liked this post made by saga_lout:

Liked 2,129 in 1,512 posts

Now looking increasingly likely that hurricane Maria will destroy everything left by hurricane Irma.

Should Get Out Soon Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 4,957 in 2,320 posts

Quote Originally Posted by irie View Post
    Now looking increasingly likely that hurricane Maria will destroy everything left by hurricane Irma.
    You have to wonder what all these hurricanes and swells are doing to the tectonic plates

That's a LOT of power being dissipated into the relatively thin crust...

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    You have to wonder what all these hurricanes and swells are doing to the tectonic plates

That's a LOT of power being dissipated into the relatively thin crust...
    Maybe it would be a good idea to look at what all the hurricanes in the past have done to the tectonic plates. As far as I know the total effect is somewhere in the region of zero.

Or were you on a fishing expedition with some stinky bait which I just took? It's difficult to tell sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by saga_lout View Post
    Maybe it would be a good idea to look at what all the hurricanes in the past have done to the tectonic plates. As far as I know the total effect is somewhere in the region of zero.

Or were you on a fishing expedition with some stinky bait which I just took? It's difficult to tell sometimes.
    No I was merely pontificating.

I was struck by one of the images off the Florida coast where the Atlantic had receded into the far distance. I was just thinking, "that's a LOT of weight to be taking off a shoreline". I think it was after I had seen some figure or other for the amount of energy a hurricane like that employs. It's a lot.

I was struck by one of the images off the Florida coast where the Atlantic had receded into the far distance. I was just thinking, "that's a LOT of weight to be taking off a shoreline". I think it was after I had seen some figure or other for the amount of energy a hurricane like that employs. It's a lot.
    The mass of the earth is about 6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 tonnes so I suspect the effect of the movement of the water would be effectively nil.

The mass of the earth is about 6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 tonnes so I suspect the effect of the movement of the water would be effectively nil.

Oh. Well I know for a fact you're wrong about that. Large bodies of water cause fluctuations in the displacement of the crust (not the entire planet). I thought everyone knew that.

What I am not so sure about is how much water is displaced in a hurricane. It would appear to be more than a lunar tide but again, that's more of a question really

Oh. Well I know for a fact you're wrong about that. Large bodies of water cause fluctuations in the displacement of the crust (not the entire planet). I thought everyone knew that.

What I am not so sure about is how much water is displaced in a hurricane. It would appear to be more than a lunar tide but again, that's more of a question really
    Please compare the amount of water displaced by a lunar tide with the amount of water displaced by a hurricane. In addition lunar cycles exert gravitional effects of the earth, and after the hurricane has passed the water returns to its previous state (ie it's a one-off event).

Please compare the amount of water displaced by a lunar tide with the amount of water displaced by a hurricane. In addition lunar cycles exert gravitional effects of the earth, and after the hurricane has passed the water returns to its previous state (ie it's a one-off event).
    That is in fact my question, which you are asking back to me...

That is in fact my question, which you are asking back to me...
    Nice backpedal, but that is a statement.

Liked 2,686 in 1,387 posts
    Blog Entries

Tectonic plates have been dealing with hurricanes, cyclones, tornadoes, tidal surges and solar and lunar gravitational pulls for millions of years.

I'm sure they know how to deal with it all.

Nice backpedal, but that is a statement.
    Err, rather than just pointing at what I have said, I'm going to need you to show me where I am backpedalling

"That's a lot of weight to be taking off a shoreline" Check
    "Large bodies of water cause fluctuations in the displacement of the crust" Check (I guess I need to back that up)
    "What I am not sure about is how much water is displaced in a hurricane" Check (I really don't know)

You: "Please compare the amount of water displaced by a lunar tide with the amount of water displaced by a hurricane."

Well I just said I'm not sure about that and that it was more of a question.

No. You've got me. I honestly have no idea what you are going on about.

Quote Originally Posted by Yambo View Post
    Tectonic plates have been dealing with hurricanes, cyclones, tornadoes, tidal surges and solar and lunar gravitational pulls for millions of years.

I'm sure they know how to deal with it all.
    Yes, tidal forces act on the crust and the underlying magma base like kneading plasticine, keeping it warm and squishy.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum