TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Hurricane Irma

Should Get Out Soon Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 4,877 in 2,291 posts

Default Re: Hurricane Irma

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    You're trying to pretend you weren't being ignorant by suggesting you were referring specifically to "the water" shifted by a hurricane. In both cases, you're dead wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by irie View Post
    Loving the BS smokescreen laid to try to avoid backpedaling.
    That's a bit lame even for you. I directly quote everything you have said in the correct sequence and that is a BS smokescreen rather than your out of sequence, edited version?

Grow up.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 2,020 in 1,446 posts

That's a bit lame even for you. I directly quote everything you have said in the correct sequence and that is a BS smokescreen rather than your out of sequence, edited version?

Grow up.
    Insults are the last resort of the insecure.

No I was merely pontificating.

I was struck by one of the images off the Florida coast where the Atlantic had receded into the far distance. I was just thinking, "that's a LOT of weight to be taking off a shoreline". I think it was after I had seen some figure or other for the amount of energy a hurricane like that employs. It's a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by irie, post #83 reply to the above post
    The mass of the earth is about 6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 tonnes so I suspect the effect of the movement of the water would be effectively nil.
    hth

Insults are the last resort of the insecure.

hth
    Yeah, I don't know why you do it either.

I think it's hilarious you keep posting the same nonsense when you are entirely incorrect.

"The movement of the water would effectively be nil" is just plain wrong. Whether you are referring to the general case of large volumes of water (which you were replying to) or even if you are pretending you meant "moved by hurricanes" which I admitted I did not "know" but was asking a question.

Turns out "the movement of the water" does in fact have a distinct effect, shifting the entire crust to such an extent it needs to be accounted for in planetary data. The shift in tidal waters has an effect out of phase with lunar cycles and the sheer volume of water that hurricane Irma moved is breathtaking, for anyone with an interest in the topic, rather than making a fool of themselves trying to argue that they are right when they remain so demonstrably wrong.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-1...a-beds/8891148

My lighthearted and somewhat uninformed comment "You have to wonder what all these hurricanes and swells are doing to the tectonic plates" was a mere curiosity at the time.

I am surprised to discover the effect is indeed even stronger than I had imagined. I am still more surprised at the sheer level of ignorance you display even in the face factual information on the subject. Instead you take that even further and continue to deny the existence of this effect just because you had never hear of it before and compound your ignorance by attacking me personally instead.

Carry on. This is great fun.

Yeah, I don't know why you do it either.
    Please indicate exactly where I have personally insulted you.

Thanks.

Please indicate exactly where I have personally insulted you.

Thanks.
    Backpedalling, swerving, bullshit, more backpedalling. I guess now I look at it, it's not really insulting. Perhaps "petty and deliberately annoying". Do you prefer that?

Backpedalling, swerving, bullshit, more backpedalling. I guess now I look at it, it's not really insulting. Perhaps "petty and deliberately annoying".
    Correct - "backpedaling", "swerving", and "bullshit" are not personal insults.

Do you prefer that?
    Whatever makes you feel better.

Correct - "backpedaling", "swerving", and "bullshit" are not personal insults.

Whatever makes you feel better.
    Cool. Petty and and deliberately annoying says it all.

Can we move on now?

Liked 428 in 261 posts

I guess you haven't had time to read the link I just posted:

"Research work has shown a robust correlation between small tidally induced forces and non-volcanic tremor activity.[10] "

Anyway, next earthquake I'm calling it mine and "I told you so". If there isn't one, we can just quietly forget...

Meanwhile, it's about time we had a decent meteor isn't it?
    200 die in Mexican eathquake

It's all yours. Why won't people listen to you?

Quote Originally Posted by McNab View Post
    200 die in Mexican eathquake

It's all yours. Why won't people listen to you?

It is suspiciously close to the zone I thought might be affected. California next...

Liked 2,585 in 1,333 posts
    Blog Entries

It is suspiciously close to the zone I thought might be affected. California next...

Seriously?

You prepared to put money on it?

Of course it's close to a zone that is affected, the whole of the Pacific Ring is affected, and other distinct areas like plate boundaries.

https://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/Map/gmap.php

Quote Originally Posted by Yambo View Post
    Seriously?

You prepared to put money on it?

Of course it's close to a zone that is affected, the whole of the Pacific Ring is affected, and other distinct areas like plate boundaries.

https://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/Map/gmap.php
    It is a tongue in cheek comment, as if to suggest I do indeed have some mystical ability. The unfortunate occurrence of an earthquake in that area a day after I wondered if there might be one; well it's probably a coincidence. I believe it is commonly accepted that the bay of Mexico is an ancient meteorite crater which further suggests there may be some structural damage within the crust, even to this day (Google confirms The Chicxulub crater). It's not uncommon for Mexico to experience earthquakes but it has been 18 years since the last big one so it's an almighty coincidence for one to occur so soon after three large hurricanes.

But no, I wouldn't put money on large numbers of people being killed. How could anyone enjoy their "winnings"? I said California because it is notoriously prone to earthquakes and the next nearest densely populated zone. I hope there isn't one and it is probably far enough away that any subtle effects wouldn't necessarily set one off.

I must say, when I saw the news this morning, I was slightly taken aback..

At Work
    Liked 356 in 237 posts

It is a tongue in cheek comment, as if to suggest I do indeed have some mystical ability. The unfortunate occurrence of an earthquake in that area a day after I wondered if there might be one; well it's probably a coincidence. I believe it is commonly accepted that the bay of Mexico is an ancient meteorite crater which further suggests there may be some structural damage within the crust, even to this day (Google confirms The Chicxulub crater). It's not uncommon for Mexico to experience earthquakes but it has been 18 years 2 weeks since the last big one so it's an almighty coincidence for one to occur so soon after three large hurricanes.
    ftfy

Quote Originally Posted by Hoonercat View Post
    ftfy
    There was too. Right at the peak of hurricane Irma. So that's two of the biggest earthquakes to hit Mexico after a quiet period of 32 years during an unusual period of intense hurricane activity.

Coincidentally

Sooner or later, some news channel, science group or weather watcher is going to put 2+2 together and replay this theory which should take off on all the news channels simultaneously. Especially if the next storm is just as wild and there's another earthquake. If nobody does, I'll flag it myself and call it the Screwdriver effect.

Would be interesting to see any correlation between seismic activity in Mexico vs. California. They're quite close so I wonder if one might affect the other, positively or negatively. My understanding is these quakes are set off when stress built up in the tectonic plates is released, so Calif. might be lucky if stress is relieved in that area or unlucky if the tremor sets something off...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Go Back to Forum My Forum