TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: has anyone done the hackingtosh thing?

Liked 1,217 in 854 posts
    Blog Entries

Default has anyone done the hackingtosh thing?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    was it worth the effort? Or just took a lot of fiddling to end up with a mac lite with vastly reduced functionality compared to the real thing, which is what I'm expecting?!

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
    Should Get Out More TheEnglishman's Avatar
    Liked 629 in 389 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: has anyone done the hackingtosh thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    was it worth the effort? Or just took a lot of fiddling to end up with a mac lite with vastly reduced functionality compared to the real thing, which is what I'm expecting?!
    I put VMWare ESXi on a Mac Mini - it runs a mac, a PC, a couple of windows servers and a linux box. I need another computer to access it though. So not what what you're trying to do I guess.

4. The following user liked this post made by TheEnglishman:

Should Get Out Soon Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 4,957 in 2,320 posts

I've seen plenty of them and never met one yet that could pass itself off as a Mac to the various accessories and systems you would want to integrate with. As a standalone box that can run Mac OS and Mac software yes but it is deeply, vastly complicated to make the damned thing talk to devices or spoof any number of Mac features like software upgrades. The whole Mac/iPad/iPhone system with photo sharing, music, and data sync is robustly sandboxed. You'd be tearing your hair out half the time with "this accessory is not supported on this system". If you don't really know what you're doing, you'll be lucky to reach the POST, let alone get past it. You'd have a PC specific graphics card for example and you would probably need to flash the firmware or your login screen will be blank...

Good luck though.

6. The following user liked this post made by Screwdriver:

Liked 1,217 in 854 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    I've seen plenty of them and never met one yet that could pass itself off as a Mac to the various accessories and systems you would want to integrate with. As a standalone box that can run Mac OS and Mac software yes but it is deeply, vastly complicated to make the damned thing talk to devices or spoof any number of Mac features like software upgrades. The whole Mac/iPad/iPhone system with photo sharing, music, and data sync is robustly sandboxed. You'd be tearing your hair out half the time with "this accessory is not supported on this system". If you don't really know what you're doing, you'll be lucky to reach the POST, let alone get past it. You'd have a PC specific graphics card for example and you would probably need to flash the firmware or your login screen will be blank...

Good luck though.
    Cheers-. Mission Control has stood down to status='knickers to that'!

Should Get Out More
    Liked 386 in 292 posts
    Blog Entries

Yes, done it. Best bet is to find someone to have done all the hard work/bleeding edge finding things that work.

Are you converting a laptop or desktop? Alledgedly you can run osx9 on a pi.

9. The following user liked this post made by katana:

Liked 922 in 692 posts

Why the hell would you want to turn something good into something that wont work?

It's like taking a ferrari and saying i want it to run like a skoda!

Should Get Out More
    Liked 386 in 292 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    Why the hell would you want to turn something good into something that wont work?

It's like taking a ferrari and saying i want it to run like a skoda!
    You are missing the point. Building a hackintosh does work. Using your analogy (which makes no sense in this case) It is like taking a ferrari and changing the colour but underneath they are the same.

Liked 922 in 692 posts

Quote Originally Posted by katana View Post
    You are missing the point. Building a hackintosh does work. Using your analogy (which makes no sense in this case) It is like taking a ferrari and changing the colour but underneath they are the same.
    Surely the hackintosh software will make it perform and look like a mac though, which is never a good thing...

13. The following user liked this post made by Greenman:

Should Get Out Soon Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 4,957 in 2,320 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    Surely the hackintosh software will make it perform and look like a mac though, which is never a good thing...
    There's no such thing, well not one such thing. Hackintosh refers to a generic procedure which involves finding a suitable PC on which you can run a (hacked) Mac OS and regular Mac software on it. Chances are you will also need to run hack software and, like I say above either select on test your peripherals or start twiddling with the firmware.

Since Windows machines typically have proprietary versions (hacks?) of even regular Windows OS, there are a similar variety of hacks which are machine specific versions of hacked Mac OS. Once you take the Mac out of its sandboxed environment, it really doesn't make sense. Forget about "plug and play". Nothing will "just work" without a mind boggling feat of geek wizardry and even then, it will drive you nuts every time you want to print, connect to a server, update some software or as often as not - even when you restart!

Should Get Out More Derek Badger's Avatar
    Liked 1,526 in 671 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    Windows machines typically have proprietary versions (hacks?) of even regular Windows OS...
    You've lost me there, can you explain?

Should Get Out More
    Liked 386 in 292 posts
    Blog Entries

So in answer to the question made. Has anyone built a hackintosh, apart from me?

At the mo I am hacking a couple of macs to work with later OS than apple want you too.

Go Back to Forum My Forum