TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suspension set up - London/South East

Liked 103 in 64 posts

Default Re: Suspension set up - London/South East

40k.............on stock suspension

i think weave found the culprit (d'you see what i did there)

the oil in the suspension will have the viscosity of water.

get some wilbers in there.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
  3. The following user liked this post made by SNAFU:

Really Bored
    Liked 309 in 158 posts

Quote Originally Posted by SNAFU View Post
    40k.............on stock suspension

i think weave found the culprit (d'you see what i did there)

the oil in the suspension will have the viscosity of water.

get some wilbers in there.
    The plan is to get a Nitron or Wilbers at the front and rebuild and revalve the rear (on the suggestion of MC Technics). Set up is booked for mid-November.

The one nagging doubt, which I assume is a common doubt, is will quality suspension make a good difference straight out of the box - MCT assure me the difference will be night and day.

I like what you did there, btw.

Liked 103 in 64 posts

MCT are right. i usually change my fork oil every year and get the rear end serviced every 24 months or so, because quite simply it's the best money you can spend on a bike, keeping the suspension in order.
    TBH on my telelever bmw the front lacked the feel of a conventional fork, but once you learned to trust it you could drag the heads (which for the first couple of times is really scary btw). best money you will ever spend on your bike..........do it!!

Liked 134 in 88 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post
    After a week of bouncing around France, I've signed up for this.

Do you know if this is purely a theory session or are we going to be tinkering with our own bikes?
    Its being held on the mezzanine in our premises so i dont think your bike will be going up there! Am sure there will be chance to apply some of the sessions learnings to your own bike under the watchful eye of Parkitt Racing...

7. The following user liked this post made by Bladerideressex:

Liked 2,164 in 1,306 posts

The one nagging doubt, which I assume is a common doubt, is will quality suspension make a good difference straight out of the box - MCT assure me the difference will be night and day.
    I'll be most surprised if you don't notice an immediate improvement.

Me and the wife are both average riders and we've noticed significant improvements (eg in comfort/steering) with the bikes Darren has worked on for us (Bandits, ER6F, Z1000Sx & Tiger 800).

We think he's great at what he does, plus he has the standing offer of: "if you don't see the difference/like it he'll put it back as it was and charge you nothing.

I've just looked at his website and noticed he needs the photo updating on the "About" page as Tom left a year or 2 ago and Keith's packed it in (because he's about 114 )

9. The following user liked this post made by Slowth:

Really Bored
    Liked 309 in 158 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bladerideressex View Post
    Its being held on the mezzanine in our premises so i dont think your bike will be going up there! Am sure there will be chance to apply some of the sessions learnings to your own bike under the watchful eye of Parkitt Racing...
    Just what I wanted to hear, otherwise I'd be taking the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowth View Post
    I'll be most surprised if you don't notice an immediate improvement.

Me and the wife are both average riders and we've noticed significant improvements (eg in comfort/steering) with the bikes Darren has worked on for us (Bandits, ER6F, Z1000Sx & Tiger 800).

We think he's great at what he does, plus he has the standing offer of: "if you don't see the difference/like it he'll put it back as it was and charge you nothing.

I've just looked at his website and noticed he needs the photo updating on the "About" page as Tom left a year or 2 ago and Keith's packed it in (because he's about 114 )
    Thanks, this is the kind of validation I'm after.

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 1,864 in 1,115 posts

I've known Darren since the mid 80s, he's not going to rip you off, he will take the piss, but he knows what he's doing, his workmanship is good, and he has always had a good attitude to work and customers.

12. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Julian_Boolean:

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    he has always had a good attitude to work and customers.
    I'll second that.

For instance, as well as doing a top job on our bikes, me and the wife were out for a ride on the bikes (couple of years ago) and called into a cafe. Darren happened to be in there with his wife and kids so we chatted for a bit and then, as they were finished, they left.

When it came for us to pay we were told that Darren had paid our bill too and said not to tell us until he'd gone. We phoned him and thanked him of course and he said he'd done it because we'd been good customers in the past.

Next day the wife took a load of home made jam/chutney in to his shop

14. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Slowth:

I'll second that.

For instance, as well as doing a top job on our bikes, me and the wife were out for a ride on the bikes (couple of years ago) and called into a cafe. Darren happened to be in there with his wife and kids so we chatted for a bit and then, as they were finished, they left.

When it came for us to pay we were told that Darren had paid our bill too and said not to tell us until he'd gone. We phoned him and thanked him of course and he said he'd done it because we'd been good customers in the past.

Next day the wife took a load of home made jam/chutney in to his shop
    Jeremy and Vera trained him well

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    Jeremy and Vera trained him well

I donít know them that much. Mainly from the shop and I was never a regular customer. My abiding memory of Vera is when we rode up to the Lake District 7 or 8 years ago and they were in the same group. We had B2B comms and so did they. Coincidentally we were on the same frequency and Vera said the same thing every time to activate the vox: one two, one two....one two, one two.....and repeat, a lot, for nearly 300 miles

I donít know them that much. Mainly from the shop and I was never a regular customer. My abiding memory of Vera is when we rode up to the Lake District 7 or 8 years ago and they were in the same group. We had B2B comms and so did they. Coincidentally we were on the same frequency and Vera said the same thing every time to activate the vox: one two, one two....one two, one two.....and repeat, a lot, for nearly 300 miles
    Jeremy is Jeremy Revett who ran the Stowmarket branch of Revetts, lovely bloke, offered to buy me a set of leathers when I wanted to start racing, I think Darren started as a YTS at Revetts but it's a long time ago and I might be wrong.
    Vera worked at Revetts in the stores, it was a few years before I realised she lived round the corner from my parents and I lived.
    I was a right little pain in the arse know it all motorcyclist back then and Revetts were very tolerant of me and my friends, without them I doubt if I'd have become so into bikes.

Liked 2,213 in 1,229 posts

Adam has had a few bikes sorted by Darren and his crew over the years and rates them very highly .... if you havent already spoken to him about it i suggest you ping him on messenger.

I remember him taking me along a twisty bumpy section of road outside Stowmarket and at the end of it telling me its Darren's unofficial test track to see how the suspension reacts following setup changes

19. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Bigyin:

Liked 123 in 71 posts

Darren has sorted a few of my bikes, (XR650R, V-Strom 1000 and RSV 1000) and every time I have ridden home on what felt like a different bike. The XR and V-Strom I wanted to lose the long travel suspension to make them more road orientated, and both were transformed, the V-Strom becoming a brilliant European tourer.

With the RSV it never felt right, and had been told the suspension had been fully serviced. As Darren lifted it off of the side stand he said ""It's got too much oil in the front forks" and he was right, as during the strip down I watched how much came out of each leg, and how clean the oil was. It was also the wrong viscosity! All set up Darren took it out for a test ride on the damp roads. Declared it all good, and as I went to get on it noticed that both edges of the rear tyre had bobbles on them. Handled brilliantly - highly recommended.

Incidentally my RC8 was a bit skittish, so on the advice of a KTM mechanic, set the suspension to standard settings and it feels a lot better. My Christmas present to myself will be a booking with MCT for his expert advice and work.

21. The following user liked this post made by whysub:

Really Bored
    Liked 309 in 158 posts

I went to the Parkitt Racing 'seminar' on Saturday. I'm not sure I'll be able to do it justice but it's a worthwhile day for £50. Neil clearly knows what he's talking about but more importantly can explain his knowledge in a number of different ways.

The day ended up being about 4.5 hours long. The first couple of hours were spent showing us pupils how suspension worked, how important the shim stacks (or settings banks) are and why we shouldn't just accept OEM suspension as being the best it can be. In truth, this section is more aimed at racers (of every level) but it does help to give an understanding of the internal workings and, more than that, helps dispel the "black art mystery". The course was marketed as 'basic' level but I think it was quite a bit more advanced tbh.

We had an hour on set up - what I was really there for. The importance of setting sag, both static and ride, correctly and once again that it's not rocket science but takes patience and being methodical (probably the most important part). Quite simply this being the most basic fundamental as this dictates when the suspension comes into play - have too little sag and the tyres then become part of the suspension, have too much sag and you're using all of the suspension too quickly (IIRC - I have notes but not with me just now).

We covered rebound and how this is the most important variable after sag as this is what keeps the tyres in contact with the road. Again IIRC, have too much rebound damping and you get a lot feel whereas if you back off the damping you get a more comfortable ride but lose feel (Neil used the analogy of motocross riders with soft suspension to highlight the lack of feel).

Compression was also discussed and in Neil's words "only affects comfort".

MCT had advised for me to upgrade my front shock to a Nitron and only to go for a rebuild and revalve on the rear. I can't help wonder now if I should just go the whole hog and get new units at both ends. I don't plan on selling the bike any time soon and if last week's France trip is anything to go by, I'd probably get more out of it. Decisions decision.....

23. The following 7 users liked this useful post by Beancounter:

Liked 1,216 in 725 posts

Nice write up and clarifies some things for me too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum