TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guzzi Le Mans Jobs for this Winter.

At Work
    Liked 333 in 197 posts

Default Guzzi Le Mans Jobs for this Winter.

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Cancelled the Tax on the LM as its time for its annual strip and fiddle in the garage while the wife is watching telly.
    Lot less to do this year.
    1. Strip carbs clean tempted to buy an Ultrasonic cleaner but not sure a cheap one is worth it) and renew gaskets. (float bowl on right hand side vibrated loose during a ride in the summer).
    2. Sort out left hand switch gear, still got the original dodgy italian switches and the horn and headlamp flasher don't work.
    3. Oil and filter change.
    4. Improve the performance of my home made manometer to make it less sensitive, balance carbs.
    5. Thought I had a front wheel puncture to fix, however, although it has cast wheels and tubeless tyres, it still requires a tube as the wheel design is from a time before tubeless tyres. Unfortunately the bike garage who fitted the tyres (and Mot'd it) decided it didn't need tubes (I did tell them). Undid the valve to take the "tube" out and it just dropped into the tyre.

2. The following 3 users liked this useful post by GuzziPaul:

Liked 7,715 in 4,047 posts

Default Re: Guzzi Le Mans Jobs for this Winter.

Pics as you go please. We all love the Le Mans and its a long winter...

4. The following user liked this post made by Taipan:

Liked 1,744 in 806 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    Pics as you go please. We all love the Le Mans and its a long winter...

Liked 4,432 in 2,428 posts

^^ what they said

Really Bored
    Liked 566 in 393 posts

Quote Originally Posted by GuzziPaul View Post
    Undid the valve to take the "tube" out and it just dropped into the tyre.
    Which was probably the source of the leak.

Requests for fully documented, picture laden workshop sessions? Tut, tut - these armchair mechanics.

At Work
    Liked 333 in 197 posts

Sorry, just read this. Its down to frame, engine and forks sat on my home made stand on wheels and didn't take any pictures. This is from last year to give you an idea.IMG_4471 (800x600).jpg
    Lets me move it around the garage side ways so I can get to both sides. I previously made a big wooden box, side panels front mudguard, screen and mirrors are all tucked away in that wrapped in towels, the seat/rear mudguard sat on top. Over that I've put a camping table with the tank on, again wrapped in towels. I put a bottle of Millers Tank safe in to keep the rust down. This is all out the way in the shed.

Got the front tyre off halfway and put an innertube in and doing the final lever, nipped the bloody tube and a puff of air knew I'd holed it So the the wheels can go back to the tyre place and they can fit the tubes like they should have done in the first place.

Next job is the switchgear on the left hand bar.switchgear.jpg Photo from last year. It's a pain in the arse. It doesn't split and has to be slid down the bar once the grip is off, feeding the cables through the bar at the same time. Lots of owners replace the original switches with new Guzzi or japanese stuff. On my first Le Mans I put Honda MB50 switch gear on but I want to keep the original stuff this time.

Lost the bottom bolt (M6 slotted mushroom head) from the bikini fairing. I've replaced most of the nuts and bolts with stainless nylocs. Failing that blue thread lock. The bolt/screw wasn't thread locked (nether was the float bowl) and has vibrated off somewhere on the roads of East Anglia.

9. The following user liked this post made by GuzziPaul:

Liked 468 in 250 posts

Cancelled the Tax on the LM as its time for its annual strip and fiddle in the garage while the wife is watching telly.
    Lot less to do this year.
    1. Strip carbs clean tempted to buy an Ultrasonic cleaner but not sure a cheap one is worth it) and renew gaskets. (float bowl on right hand side vibrated loose during a ride in the summer).
    2. Sort out left hand switch gear, still got the original dodgy italian switches and the horn and headlamp flasher don't work.
    3. Oil and filter change.
    4. Improve the performance of my home made manometer to make it less sensitive, balance carbs.
    5. Thought I had a front wheel puncture to fix, however, although it has cast wheels and tubeless tyres, it still requires a tube as the wheel design is from a time before tubeless tyres. Unfortunately the bike garage who fitted the tyres (and Mot'd it) decided it didn't need tubes (I did tell them). Undid the valve to take the "tube" out and it just dropped into the tyre.

I have a cheap ultrasonic cleaner (similar to this one) which works ok as long as it's not too mucky, but is just a bit too small to fit a carb in properly. It will do one half of the carb, then turn it over to do the other half

I have had good results cleaning carbs by boiling them in a citric acid solution, a level teaspoon of citric acid crystals to a litre of water. It does leave the carbs a matt grey colour which can take a bit of work to polish out though.

At Work
    Liked 333 in 197 posts

Took the left hand clip on off last night. Plenty of photos but pretty boring as they are to remind me how it all goes together. Had to take the bar grip off, then strip the multiple layers of tape from around the bar. The tape in on because the clip on has a very narrow diameter and the grip would be too loose.

Once the tape was off i had to work the castellated washer down the bar and lever off the side of the switch and slide that down the bar. Too remove the clip on I've had to poke three pins out of a large multi-pin connector as these three go to the right hand switch gear which currently isn't going to be removed.

The bar is now on the bench. However to get the switch off the bar I'll have to unsolder all the connections in the switch, not sure if I want to do that just so I can repaint the last 50mm of clip on. Do have to get the horn button and headlamp flasher working though both of which are on the same rocker switch. Did it a couple of years ago, but first the flasher failed and just the horn sounded despite which side of the switch was pressed. Now the horns gone, hence the strip down.

20171010_202240.jpg20171010_201251.jpg20171010_202416.jpg

12. The following user liked this post made by GuzziPaul:

Liked 2,543 in 1,663 posts

Next job is the switchgear on the left hand bar.switchgear.jpg Photo from last year. It's a pain in the arse. It doesn't split and has to be slid down the bar once the grip is off, feeding the cables through the bar at the same time. Lots of owners replace the original switches with new Guzzi or japanese stuff. On my first Le Mans I put Honda MB50 switch gear on but I want to keep the original stuff this time.
    I had a Honda 400Four which had the switchgear cables running through the bars and back out to the loom through hole in the centre between the clamps.

I used to swap between bars occasionaly {standard/Dunstall straights/'Ace' bars) and threading the cables through was a pain, so I cut a cable-sized 'U' to take the cables out from the cluster and to the outside of the 'bars. Then sealed the gap with black gloop sealant.

Made changing the bars a doddle - but I guess you want to keep it as original as possible?

At Work
    Liked 333 in 197 posts

It's my birthday today and Pugwash had kindly agreed to ultrasonically clean the carbs for me (Thanks Mike). So a day off work and a trip down to East Sussex. I'd taken a few bits off the carb before I got there, but after a fancy coffee complete with froth pattern in the shape of a leaf, each carb with stripped and individually cleaned for 50 minutes Pugwash has a 6ltr Ultrasonic cleaner, I'd thought a 3ltr one would be big enough so glad I didn't buy one as a single carb only just fitted.

During each carb clean we chatted bikes and I had a chance to look at Pugwash's' LM3 and admire the Suzukis wheel rebuild and another coffee. Quite impressed with the results of the home plating kit on the spokes and other brightwork.

Got home and ordered new carb gasket kits and needle float valve kits. Was going to get it from EuroCarb but Stein Dinse was about 20 cheaper even including shipping from Germany.
    So tonight while Eastenders is on (and Holbybollocks) I'll be in the garage polishing my carbs

15. The following 4 users liked this useful post by GuzziPaul:

Liked 254 in 90 posts

It's my birthday today and Pugwash had kindly agreed to ultrasonically clean the carbs for me (Thanks Mike). So a day off work and a trip down to East Sussex. I'd taken a few bits off the carb before I got there, but after a fancy coffee complete with froth pattern in the shape of a leaf, each carb with stripped and individually cleaned for 50 minutes Pugwash has a 6ltr Ultrasonic cleaner, I'd thought a 3ltr one would be big enough so glad I didn't buy one as a single carb only just fitted.

During each carb clean we chatted bikes and I had a chance to look at Pugwash's' LM3 and admire the Suzukis wheel rebuild and another coffee. Quite impressed with the results of the home plating kit on the spokes and other brightwork.

Got home and ordered new carb gasket kits and needle float valve kits. Was going to get it from EuroCarb but Stein Dinse was about 20 cheaper even including shipping from Germany.
    So tonight while Eastenders is on (and Holbybollocks) I'll be in the garage polishing my carbs
    Not sure I'd want to spend my birthday boiling carbs in a cold garage, but it was good to see you. Good call on Stein Deinse, I've used them a couple of times, and they're good. They even email in English.

Hope the rest of your birthday has gone well.

17. The following user liked this post made by Pugwash:

At Work
    Liked 333 in 197 posts

Bit of an update.
    Carbs are back together after the ultrasonic clean (thanks again Pugwash) fitted with new seal, gaskets and new float valves. I wrote down the number of turns for mixture and tickover before stripping down so that's all reset, however, I will be tweaking my homemade manometer to sort them out properly. Currently I have a 4mm I/D clear plastic tube with two columns of 2 stroke oil. One end goes to one carb/manifold and the other end to the other carb/manifold. The idea being to match the height of the column. Unfortunately with such narrow tube they are a bit sensitive and I've nearly sucked oil over the top of the column into the engine (that's why I'm using 2 stroke oil just in case). So the plans is to incorporate clear 250ml bottles into each line to increase the volume, reduce the sensitivity and intercept any oil.

The left hand carbs is right on top of the starter motor/solenoid and this has become a little scratched so I thought a quick respray would be in order. Normally I hang stuff to spray from the garage door when it's open, but it's too cold for that, so I made a little spray booth from an old cardboard box and a plastic bag, along with a mount for the starter motor, solenoid and oil collector.
    starter small.jpg
    Heated the garage up a bit and had the bits to be sprayed and the aerosol in front of the heater to warm up for half an hour. Took longer to make the stands and booth then it did to spray.
    Can't fit the carbs until the oil collector is in place and I also need it fitted so I can put the battery in to see if my repair of the left hand hand switch gear has worked

19. The following 3 users liked this useful post by GuzziPaul:

Liked 3,508 in 2,379 posts
    Blog Entries

Re the manometer: I squeezed the pipe at the bottom of the U-bend flat using a small mole grip, just twiddling the adjuster screw of the mole grip. Then once the engine was running, I opened the mole grip up gradually until the water started to move.

Maybe you're already doing something similar.

21. The following 3 users liked this useful post by ink ink:

At Work
    Liked 333 in 197 posts

Good idea, not thought of that. I suppose I could drill two holes either side of the tube and thread a jubilee clip through which will have a similar effect.

Liked 3,508 in 2,379 posts
    Blog Entries

The other way to reduce the movement of the fluid is to bridge the columns above the fluid, with T-pieces and a valve, so when the valve is fully open you're short-circuiting the system. I found that there was too much movement of the water, even with the valve open.

I had better luck just nipping the main tube.

Mine's an ancient 650 twin, so it doesn't suck like a big Guzzi, I expect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission