TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guzzi Le Mans Jobs for this Winter.

At Work
    Liked 310 in 181 posts

Default Re: Guzzi Le Mans Jobs for this Winter.

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Wife's birthday today and youngest daughter took her to the theater so chance for another garage day Carbs are statically set up using a drill bit to get the initial gap. Seem to be a bit lighter although I suspect that is psychological having cleaned them and and new gaskets.

Charged up the "lawn mower" battery and installed that complete with fly lead for my optimate. This allowed me to test the horn/headlight flasher, which I was a bit suspect of as the rocker switch didn't feel "right" and sure enough neither horn or light worked. It's pretty simple with a central brass spring and a bent bit of brass. The power goes up the spring and then to a contact on one side or the other, very simple, very '70s Italian Electrics. Took the switch to bits again and tested with a bit of wire and confirmed power and both horn a flasher worked and so it wasn't the multiway connector blocks which I'd also had to bits to take some of the pins out to clean and remove the handlebar. Cleaned up the spring at each end, the brass rocker and connections (again) and reassembled. It worked and the switch felt a lot better.

Because of the fantastic design of the switchgear (not) the switchgear slides onto the handlebar rather than being clamped around it and is not the most secure fit held in y a spring clip andthe handlebar grip. The bar is also a bit narrow so needs a couple of layers of tape on to make the grips a tighter fit, so did that.

Fitted the clutch lever which is also a pain, as there is enough slack at the bar end so you have to take it off at the gearbox end and leaver the leaver at the gearbox end to get enough slack to get the nipple back on but it worked out ok.

Haven't decided what to do next but need to get some innertubes in the tyres which I think I'll get a garage to do.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
  3. The following 3 users liked this useful post by GuzziPaul:

Liked 228 in 124 posts

I think my V50 has a similar set of switchgear. As I hate that rocker switch (partly as I can't remember which is horn / which flash), and the near impossibility of finding the neutral position for the indicators, I've replaced the lot with a cluster from a Yamaha 125 which is so much better made.

At Work
    Liked 310 in 181 posts

Quote Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
    I think my V50 has a similar set of switchgear. As I hate that rocker switch (partly as I can't remember which is horn / which flash), and the near impossibility of finding the neutral position for the indicators, I've replaced the lot with a cluster from a Yamaha 125 which is so much better made.
    V50 Switchgear, luxury. If you see one of the earlier posts on this thread there's a photo. There was nearly a time I was tempted to change the switches (I believe Yamaha R1 stuff also fits) On my first Le Mans I did change it to Honda MB50 switch on the left hand bar. But, it's (extremely crappy switches) one of the key identifiers of an original MK1 Le Mans rather than a MK II replica and one of the things I looked at when I was considering the ebay purchase, as a sign of originality.

Liked 228 in 124 posts

Yes, that does look even worse! You can always take the original stuff off and stash it somewhere safe for the duration. Be a shame to run into someone after flashing them when you thought you were blowing the horn.......

At Work
    Liked 310 in 181 posts

Bit of an update, wife and daughter have gone away for a few days so spent the weekend in the garage. Wheels with new tubes are cleaned and balanced and back on the bike. I balanced them myself, having been inspired by my visit to Pugwash I spent some birthday money on a wheel balancing frame. It took 30g on the front and 40g on the rear spread evenly on each side. Unfortunately because its Fe rather than Pb the room required to stick the weights on is relatively large. The front wheel is narrow so had to do it with 5g weights but could use 10g ones on the back. The wheels are bloody heavy with cast iron disks and the shaft drive unit.

Bikini fairing is on as is the rear seat, This allowed me to check the indicators and my left hand switch rebuild fully. Bloody indicators don't work left hand side front and right rear are ok but nothing on the right unless I want left front and right rear. Do't think I've had the right front working yet but got fed up by then and will try again tonight. Wouldn't mind but they were working before i took it to bits and I only originally disconnected the rear ones to remove the seat so only two options for the connections.

8. The following user liked this post made by GuzziPaul:

Liked 211 in 76 posts

Quote Originally Posted by GuzziPaul View Post
    Bit of an update, wife and daughter have gone away for a few days so spent the weekend in the garage. Wheels with new tubes are cleaned and balanced and back on the bike. I balanced them myself, having been inspired by my visit to Pugwash I spent some birthday money on a wheel balancing frame. It took 30g on the front and 40g on the rear spread evenly on each side. Unfortunately because its Fe rather than Pb the room required to stick the weights on is relatively large. The front wheel is narrow so had to do it with 5g weights but could use 10g ones on the back. The wheels are bloody heavy with cast iron disks and the shaft drive unit.

Bikini fairing is on as is the rear seat, This allowed me to check the indicators and my left hand switch rebuild fully. Bloody indicators don't work left hand side front and right rear are ok but nothing on the right unless I want left front and right rear. Do't think I've had the right front working yet but got fed up by then and will try again tonight. Wouldn't mind but they were working before i took it to bits and I only originally disconnected the rear ones to remove the seat so only two options for the connections.
    Check your earthing for the rear, caused me no end of trouble. I finally sorted it by running separate earths back to the frame from the winkers.

10. The following user liked this post made by Pugwash:

Liked 228 in 124 posts

In my experience that's always a good idea on any bike. Relying on rusty bolts into rusty frames (or even worse expecting current to jump across steering head bearings) can cause all sorts of problems.

Picking up my bits from the painter tomorrow so V50 reassembly can begin!

12. The following user liked this post made by iansoady:

At Work
    Liked 310 in 181 posts

10m of black wire ordered and new/additional earths added to the rear indicators/light earth point and from the left hand clip-on clamp to the frame. Still nothing on the right hand side so reckoned it must be the switch.
    Grip off, cut the newly applied tape off prise the switch apart and slide the switch out. Shorted the switch out and the right front worked but not the rear. Cleaned the switch up and put it back together. Front right now works off the switch but not the rear, swapped the bulbs over and it swapped over, so it was a combination of dodgy switch and blown bulb. Just need to get a new bulb now.
    Sending the V5 off tomorrow to get it reclassified as a Historic vehicle.

14. The following 2 users liked this useful post by GuzziPaul:

Liked 3,875 in 2,121 posts

Quote Originally Posted by GuzziPaul View Post
    10m of black wire ordered and new/additional earths added to the rear indicators/light earth point and from the left hand clip-on clamp to the frame. Still nothing on the right hand side so reckoned it must be the switch.
    Grip off, cut the newly applied tape off prise the switch apart and slide the switch out. Shorted the switch out and the right front worked but not the rear. Cleaned the switch up and put it back together. Front right now works off the switch but not the rear, swapped the bulbs over and it swapped over, so it was a combination of dodgy switch and blown bulb. Just need to get a new bulb now.
    Sending the V5 off tomorrow to get it reclassified as a Historic vehicle.
    I got a new custom loom on my track / sunny sunday 900SS. If its a keeper you don't want to worry about water ingress into the loom and every joint potentially ruining your day (as well as it looking aces ) its the way to go.
    THe biggest difference is actually the uprated earth and starter motor wires. I'm considering same for the other resto as it just eliminates fucking about for another couple of decades...

At Work
    Liked 310 in 181 posts

I added additional earths at the alternator and relocated the battery one when I did my initial rebuild (bought as a none runner in 2015) When I first got it started in the spring of 2016 the alternator warning light would glow faintly all the time. This was sorted with additional earths.

The wiring is generally good, the only "extras" are what I have added by the way of earths. I think in its previous 37 years the bike had a fairly pampered life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum