TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Suzuki GT250B - Winter project 2017

Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 5,944 in 2,784 posts

Default Re: Suzuki GT250B - Winter project 2017

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugwash View Post
    Next decision is whether the stanchions need re-chroming @ 140 a pair, or whether I want to try araldite and 1200 wet and dry first. Now the rust is off it's already pretty smooth, and I think I might get way with it, especially if I mount it so that the shiney bit is to the front. Out of sight, out of mind etc.
    They might look ok for a bit but without the chrome, they will rust again...

The lovely smooth black discolouration is a different type of rust, flush with the chrome plating.

2. The following user liked this post made by Screwdriver:

Liked 318 in 121 posts

Black bits cleaned up and ready to go for coating. I'm going to get the rear mudguard stripped, repair it and get it coated. 75% of it is hidden up under the seat, and most of the rest is underneath the rear light assembly, so I should get away with it. I think the X7 front mudguard will fit on the front, although I'll need to drill it for the brace.

4. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Pugwash:

Really Bored
    Liked 658 in 461 posts

Crackin' on.

Liked 7,531 in 4,263 posts

That centre stand looks weightier than the swing arm!!!

7. The following user liked this post made by KungFooBob:

Liked 318 in 121 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    That centre stand looks weightier than the swing arm!!!
    Interesting you should say that. I was having the same thought this afternoon and wondering about quietly sticking in the back of the garage and forgetting about it.

Liked 7,531 in 4,263 posts

Interesting you should say that. I was having the same thought this afternoon and wondering about quietly sticking in the back of the garage and forgetting about it.
    I'd probably be in the same mind.

Liked 2,320 in 1,189 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Unfortunately, not the best solution as radial slots would have cleared the water while holes retained it.

Luckily, pad improvements overtook the holes.
    They did help. The pads tended to create a bow wave and some of the water inevitably got between the pads and discs creating a hydrodynamic bearing. The holes allowed most of the water to escape as the pads passed over them and it could then centrifuge out of the holes as the disc rotated. Modern discs are drilled as well, though you're right that modern materials are less susceptible to the effect than the 70s stainless ones. Incidentally the British cast iron discs of the same era didn't suffer from the problem, even if they did rust

Re mudguards I believe there are people who will make stainless replacements. That would be my preferred option, though would need some research and might cost a bit. The VJMC might have some pointers. I don't think that'll help with your exhausts though. Rotting was a perennial problem in the 70s and one big reason why so many bikes had aftermarket pipes. You won't get them rechromed, no plater will touch them with oil inside as it'd contaminate their baths. Consider spannies or see if you can find pattern copies, quite a lot of older Jap bikes now have thriving pattern part markets.

Lastly I would recommend getting the forks properly rechromed. Not only will it help keep your seals in good order, it'll look far better on the bike. This is why I said you need to budget far more than what you expect to restore the bike - any bike. Do a proper job and it'll look great, do half a job and it'll look like half a job.

Liked 318 in 121 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    They did help. The pads tended to create a bow wave and some of the water inevitably got between the pads and discs creating a hydrodynamic bearing. The holes allowed most of the water to escape as the pads passed over them and it could then centrifuge out of the holes as the disc rotated. Modern discs are drilled as well, though you're right that modern materials are less susceptible to the effect than the 70s stainless ones. Incidentally the British cast iron discs of the same era didn't suffer from the problem, even if they did rust

Re mudguards I believe there are people who will make stainless replacements. That would be my preferred option, though would need some research and might cost a bit. The VJMC might have some pointers. I don't think that'll help with your exhausts though. Rotting was a perennial problem in the 70s and one big reason why so many bikes had aftermarket pipes. You won't get them rechromed, no plater will touch them with oil inside as it'd contaminate their baths. Consider spannies or see if you can find pattern copies, quite a lot of older Jap bikes now have thriving pattern part markets.

Lastly I would recommend getting the forks properly rechromed. Not only will it help keep your seals in good order, it'll look far better on the bike. This is why I said you need to budget far more than what you expect to restore the bike - any bike. Do a proper job and it'll look great, do half a job and it'll look like half a job.
    Coincidentally I stripped the caliper this morning. Needed the big breaking bar to get it apart. I can quite understand why the front brake was so lethal in the wet, as there's nowhere for the water to go.

Seat foam still in good nick, although the cover is perished, so a new one will be ordered.

Exhausts are solid, and most of the surface rust is on the non-visible side, so I'm going to clean them up and carry on. As long as I keep them clean and protected, they'll be fine, and won't look bad.

Front mudguard will be replaced, but I'm waiting on the blasting before I finally decide on the back one.

Dodgy fork will be re-chromed or replaced. Decided this after looking at the damage under magnification, and seeing the extent of the pitting. Other stanchion is fine so it shouldn't need doing, but I'll take the advice of the platers when I go to see them. Anyone used Ashford Chroming?

I think you're going to end up with a very tidy little runabout

Have you recovered a seat before?

Liked 318 in 121 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    I think you're going to end up with a very tidy little runabout

Have you recovered a seat before?
    I haven't done a cover before, but I'm hoping that the seat cover I'm ordering off ebay from the interestingly named Bobtheseat will fit. I don't know if the url below will work, but if you do "Suzuki GT250 seat cover" in google, it's the 30 one. It looks identical to the one that came off, and I've got all the fixings from the old one. Plan was to warm the cover up, and to get it to fit as tight as I can. Any hints/tips?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/19162946527...D1336586622753

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,685 in 2,250 posts

I haven't done a metal seat base only plastic, but the trick is to get it tight, corners are especially tricky, the better quality seat cover you get, the easier it is to do

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

I haven't done a cover before, but I'm hoping that the seat cover I'm ordering off ebay from the interestingly named Bobtheseat will fit. I don't know if the url below will work, but if you do "Suzuki GT250 seat cover" in google, it's the 30 one. It looks identical to the one that came off, and I've got all the fixings from the old one. Plan was to warm the cover up, and to get it to fit as tight as I can. Any hints/tips?
    Here's one I did years ago.

Don't know if that will help. You will need a really powerful stapler. It doesn't want to go on too tight, you don't want the base to deform too much. Start at one end, then do the other end, then the sides.

Don't know how that trim goes on, I assume it gets tacked on when all is done.

Good luck!

16. The following user liked this post made by Screwdriver:

Liked 318 in 121 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    Here's one I did years ago.

Don't know if that will help. You will need a really powerful stapler. It doesn't want to go on too tight, you don't want the base to deform too much. Start at one end, then do the other end, then the sides.

Don't know how that trim goes on, I assume it gets tacked on when all is done.

Good luck!
    It's a metal base with clips rather than the plastic stapler type. The trim is secured by push-on washers on blind studs.

At Work
    Liked 480 in 254 posts

Anyone used Ashford Chroming?
    Nearly, sent them photos of various bicycle bits, complete with 50p coin in the photo for scale. Got a quote I was happy with and sent all the bits off. After a few weeks got a call from them, expecting them to say it was all ready to be returned, but they hadn't even started them and wanted an extra 180. So canceled the order and sent them to a spot in Hull.
    Mate had a similar experience with them for some BSA bits.

19. The following user liked this post made by GuzziPaul:

Liked 2,320 in 1,189 posts

21. The following user liked this post made by Tomcat:

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission