TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No more MOT

At Work
    Liked 480 in 254 posts

Default No more MOT

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Just read in this months bike that from May '18 bikes over 40 years old don't need an MOT. Guzzi is '77 and I'm registering it as a Historic vehicle in January so no road tax. Current MOT runs out in May anyway so that's another few quid saved, or a few tank fulls of petrol.

Liked 5,606 in 3,002 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: No more MOT

Quote Originally Posted by GuzziPaul View Post
    Just read in this months bike that from May '18 bikes over 40 years old don't need an MOT. Guzzi is '77 and I'm registering it as a Historic vehicle in January so no road tax. Current MOT runs out in May anyway so that's another few quid saved, or a few tank fulls of petrol.
    And you can pour a bit of Castrol R into the fuel and race around central London perfuming the pedestrians not having to pay a daily toxic charge

Liked 2,294 in 1,044 posts

Yep the Bonnie just had her last MoT so along with historic (I.e. Free) taxation class it's eating even less than it did

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,475 in 933 posts

Although I'll benefit even more from no MOT requirement than I do already, I don't really agree with it. Clearly those who have agreed to this haven't seen the dangerous old nails I have other people have out on the road.

5. The following user liked this post made by Bike Breaker:

Liked 1,533 in 887 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Breaker View Post
    Although I'll benefit even more from no MOT requirement than I do already, I don't really agree with it. Clearly those who have agreed to this haven't seen the dangerous old nails I have other people have out on the road.

I think that's certainly a concern.

What has probably happened is that the people who pushed through the 'no MOT needed' thinking, believe that the police will be able to check old vehicles that look dodgy, obviously being completely oblivious to the fact that the amount of TrafPol on the road, and thus actually in a position to see dodgy vehicles, is diminishing quicker than T.May's approval ratings (if such a thing is possible).

Liked 310 in 156 posts

I think the assumption is that those of us who ride / drive old vehicles cherish them and look after them properly.

Just shows how wrong assumptions can be...... I was however grateful for this exemption for my 1931 Sunbeam as its brakes were minimal at best.

I did see some figures somewhere that suggested that the proportion of crashes that could be directly attributed to vehicle faults was very small - 1% or so IIRC.

At Work
    Liked 480 in 254 posts

For my Le Mans its not a concern, as its is cared for, no expense spared, although rode it around for some time not realising the horn didn't work. However, my DT175MX although it doesn't fall into the 40 year old category yet it is not to the same standard. I use it green laneing and in the winter, don't have rear footpegs fitted (with a dual seat) so may be a bit suspect.

Its my safety though so the brakes work and the tyres are good.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,475 in 933 posts

My bikes all look like wrecks but I spend a lot of time keeping them roadworthy. As yet, I've not had one of them fail an MOT.

Liked 3,970 in 2,678 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Breaker View Post
    Yes I think we've all seen some stupid faults on "classic bikes."

Liked 1,533 in 887 posts

Given that 40 years ago it was 1977, and this was the list of NEW bikes available : https://www.bikez.com/year/index.php?year=1977, its perfectly possible that there are still quite a few bikes being run around as regular (if not daily) transport by people who, while they are quite likely perfectly happy to do servicing and 'fixing up', the actual standard of that 'fixing up' is quite likely to be low, by legal standards.

tl:dr : the 'greebos' of the world, riding around on old knackers, will be delighted.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    tl:dr : the 'greebos' of the world, riding around on old knackers, will be delighted.
    Yay!

Blog Entries

My next campaign is to abolish the breathalyser and blood/alcohol limits for riders of these cherished vintage machines.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,475 in 933 posts

Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    I know about 3000 people who fit that description and they're all reet chuffed about it. Having ridden with a few hundred of them, I'm not so convinced.

15. The following user liked this post made by Bike Breaker:

Liked 2,728 in 1,626 posts

I don't see the point, it's quite easy to keep pre mid 70s bikes roadworthy enough to pass the mot - but if you don't have to chances are they'll deteriorate quite quickly. Shame. It'll only start to get worse once 80s bikes are added to the mix with deteriorating period electronics.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Liked 310 in 156 posts

This link may be interesting: https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...e-guidance.pdf

It describes what are considered as "substantial change". A quick read seems to show that it's reasonably sensible although will catch some out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission