TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Restoration project

Really Bored
    Liked 1,670 in 933 posts

Default Re: Restoration project

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    On to the broken primer tap

Turned up a bit of nylon...

Another £30+ vat saved

2. The following 3 users liked this useful post by rudolph:

Really Bored
    Liked 1,670 in 933 posts

Default Restoration project

Houston... we have a problem....

It would seem there is "something" missing from the end of the injector pump...

The tacho cable should go in here

however..... I have no idea what. There is a spigot of some sort shown on the exploded diagram, but its not listed as a separate part. The hole in the middle is too far down for the cable (i have checked its the correct cable) and the hole appears to be round, which clearly isn't goig to drive a square cable.

I'm thinking tap that hole out.. make up some kind of screw in adaptor the the lathe and perhaps fit a grub screw in the side which will grip the cable.

Hmm ponders....

Really Bored
    Liked 1,670 in 933 posts

Ok - plan of attack. There is a hole.... turn up a spigot with an interference fit, drill a small hole and pair it out square in the other end. A small HSS broach will sort that.

Chill in freezer over night - tap in, and let warm up. It wonít have much torque applied so a nice thou interference fit will drive it more than adequate....

I have some phosphor-bronze stock that will do the job nicely and not be too hard to broach out the square hole....

Thatís the plan!

5. The following 2 users liked this useful post by rudolph:

Liked 2,525 in 1,646 posts

There's no chance that the remnant you are connecting into has seized and sheared, is there ?

Really Bored
    Liked 1,670 in 933 posts

Default Restoration project

Nope - it be gone, the pump has been rebuilt already..... no one noticed the drive for the tacho was not there. Itís not obvious tbf.

Research seems to point to it being quite common

Really Bored
    Liked 1,670 in 933 posts

Bits back off again... to fit bits I thought would go on, I was wrong.

Anyway, drag links on etc, more pipe work, tank had some rough bits so thatís been flatter back and resprayed (note: donít get your rags mixed up and wipe a tractor enabled paintwork with acetone soaked rag)

And one to make anyone with a heart smile... Essie on ďherĒ tractor (sheís lending it to me until sheís big enough to drive it herself, apparently)

This week - I plan to set about the tacho drive... I think we have found an old snapped off one in one of the boxes at the farm. So the plan it to use that and make up an adaptor, shrink fit one end - reverse the other. One end will be Male one female. So heat one end and let cool, then freeze and do the other. One at ambient temps - hopefully will be a permanent fit.

Watch this space....

9. The following 2 users liked this useful post by rudolph:

Really Bored
    Liked 1,670 in 933 posts

Right...., remember the broken tacho drive...

Well here goes.

Firstly I made a drilling sleeve to ensure the hole was kept straight and central. I used this to firstly drill out the centre of the camshaft and then (after increasing the hole size) to tap the hole to 1/4 UNC.

Then I made up an adaptor to take the small part of broken tacho drive we found over the farm. Tapped one end - interference fit tíother.

Screwed it in and bingo... fixed.

Yeah yeah the slit was a bit shit - done with a small slitting disc in the 4 1/2 grinder. A mill would be nice for such tasks.

But by the by... the bit many folks told me I couldnít fix, is fixed.

11. The following 4 users liked this useful post by rudolph:

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission