TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: New bike candidates?

Should Get Out More
    Liked 3,290 in 1,913 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New bike candidates?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Top hat washers that spread the load on the top of a rubber mount is my guess.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
    Liked 1,400 in 853 posts

Top of fuel tank rubbers I would guess....

Liked 4,418 in 2,766 posts
    Blog Entries

Taipan's weight reduction scheme

Liked 7,061 in 3,717 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Good shout, there are only two on the top mudguard mount.
    That'll be them then as thats where I was working. I'll go back in tomorrow night and have a look. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    Taipan's weight reduction scheme
    It'll take a lot more than that. I'm a one legged, asthmatic bloke on steroids and am piling on pounds quicker than a fat man at a fat eating contest. They offered me a gastric band but I thought it was a calamari and sauteed it with garlic and chilli!

6. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Taipan:

My Xt has a thing called "The Kev mod". Its basically a variable resistor which fools the temp sensor into thinking its colder than it is and the ECU enriches the fuelling by a variable % across the whole fuel table. You add/decrease the richening effect by turning the adjuster screw, and whilst its no power commander/custom map, it works quite well and has no doubt saved a few burnt valves/holed pistons in XT land.

The guy, Kev, who designed it has done some dyno work and gives you an idea of where to set it a depending on your inlet/exhaust configuration, in my case this could be anywhere between 4 and 7 o'clock, with 6 being the average setting for my set up. I felt the bike was a little rich and backed it off from 6 - 5o'clock position. I was pretty amazed at how much difference this made. Much, much crisper throttle response and its lost some of its vibes too.

The fuelling isn't spot on though and without a power commander and/or remap I doubt it will be, but its nice to know you can fatten up Yamahas base map across the range and avoid lean running problems.

Liked 8,155 in 4,688 posts

You're lucky with the PC option as you can get a simple PC3 and you'll find tonnes of maps that are going to be correct for your mods already performed. Where you're lucky is, the PC3 is very cheap and it's a fairly easy job to fit yourself. But many many riders have run Kevs fuel mod for ages without issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    You're lucky with the PC option as you can get a simple PC3 and you'll find tonnes of maps that are going to be correct for your mods already performed. Where you're lucky is, the PC3 is very cheap and it's a fairly easy job to fit yourself. But many many riders have run Kevs fuel mod for ages without issues.
    Yes I'll probably go the PC3 route for the hell of it as that side of things interests me and there ar plenty of free maps out there to try. When I had a DJ Powervision on my Harley, it was married to the ECO and not transferable. I take it that isn't the case with PC3s?

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    Yes I'll probably go the PC3 route for the hell of it as that side of things interests me and there ar plenty of free maps out there to try. When I had a DJ Powervision on my Harley, it was married to the ECO and not transferable. I take it that isn't the case with PC3s?
    no

11. The following user liked this post made by Weeksy:

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    Vibrations can be from worn cush rubbers. Whip off the wheel and see how much play in the sprocket. You can either get new ones for £30 or pack the old set out using cut up bicycle inner tube
    I've been reading the XT forum and these things seem to eat cush drive rubbers? I cant feel any play when grabbing the sprocket though, but I'll get some ordered up and fitted and know my starting point with them.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 10 in 9 posts

Iíve done 58k miles on mine and changed them once! I found that even new ones were a little baggy. Other bikes Iíve had need a almost standing on the cush drive to seat it whereas the XT never needs more than a good shove.

14. The following user liked this post made by Johnny:

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I’ve done 58k miles on mine and changed them once! I found that even new ones were a little baggy. Other bikes I’ve had need a almost standing on the cush drive to seat it whereas the XT never needs more than a good shove.

Thanks for that. So its not a given they've gone. I think i'll pull the back wheel and have a look and if they're okay, pad them with some inner tube. From what I've read, its the loose fit that allows them to be pummelled?

Liked 4,418 in 2,766 posts
    Blog Entries

From what I've read, its the loose fit that allows them to be pummelled?

I left work about 20:30 last night. Traffic was heavier than I expected, but being that bit later, there was less of it and with bigger gaps between the cars. I RLAC all the way home. Weaving and carving my way through it. Throttle nailed open were ever possible. I noticed the twin exhaust note is odd for a single? Must be the twin cans? ANyway, what a hott. Trying to get the front wheel in the air over every crest, bump, matchstick! I was having such a laugh i thought i'd go out the back lanes (for the locals, through Orsett and Averley and Horndon). Of course the roads were damp and greasy and I had a few slips and slides and whilst the bike handled it predictably and superbly, I realised I was on the limits and pushing it too much and it probably wasn't going to end well if I kept this up, but by fook was I enjoying myself!

God knows why i haven't owned one of these before. They really are a cracking bike and with the sort of power i can enjoy and actually use! Thumbs up to those Pilot Road tyres too! This bike should be in the pleasing purchase thread!

18. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Taipan:

The only things I felt it lacked mostly were

1. Suspension for track
    2. Ability to ride with faster bikes

The 690 is just a bit better for both of them tasks, but the 660x was a cracking thing for sure.
    Get yourself to Pembrey please, even if you don't ride it, I will. I never took mine on track as I always had a dedicated track bike at the times I owned one.

Liked 41 in 30 posts

I RLAC all the way home.
    Awesome! Sounds uncannily reminiscent of the few road blasts I've had on my XR650R. It's on non DOT knobblies which are alarming easy to get totally sideways, specially on the slippery concrete roads. I've stopped riding it because I was making too much of a twat of myself - foot out, crossed up in third and wheelies as you stand it up.

I'd love a set of Motard wheels for it when I grow up!

21. The following user liked this post made by Jung:

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum