Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: XT660X broke down, any ideas?

Liked 7,551 in 3,962 posts

Default Re: XT660X broke down, any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    Without sounding too harsh on you here, you're running a very tweaked bike with a mickey mouse fuelling setup.

You've taken what is a stock bike and got new exhausts, new stage 1, new stage 2 and snorkel removed. That's going to have the fuelling all over the place. Sure you've added/got the Kevs fuel mod, but that's just squirting in some extra fuel through the whole range, not the right amounts at the right times.

If keeping the bike, get a PCiii and a map downloaded for it, sure it's a cost but otherwise you're just asking for 'best guess' really ?
    This isn't a fuelling or map issue. This is an actual intermittent fault with the bikes electrics/fuel delivery system. The Kev mod just fattens up the cells on an OEM map which we all know aren't the best for performance, but there are dyno graphs to see what it does and if it was causing starting and/or running issues it would be widely documented by now. That said, I would happily buy a PC3 for it to achieve fuelling nirvana, if i were keeping it, but I'm not, so I wont.

2. The following user liked this post made by Taipan:

Liked 8,764 in 5,024 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    This isn't a fuelling or map issue. This is an actual intermittent fault with the bikes electrics/fuel delivery system. The Kev mod just fattens up the cells on an OEM map which we all know aren't the best for performance, but there are dyno graphs to see what it does and if it was causing starting and/or running issues it would be widely documented by now. That said, I would happily buy a PC3 for it to achieve fuelling nirvana, if i were keeping it, but I'm not, so I wont.
    Whilst it may not be common, that doesn't mean it's not the fuelling controller that's causing a starting issue, intermittent fault could easily caused by it. Can you remove it easily to do more testing ? If you now have the desire to do so that is.

4. The following user liked this post made by Weeksy:

Whilst it may not be common, that doesn't mean it's not the fuelling controller that's causing a starting issue, intermittent fault could easily caused by it. Can you remove it easily to do more testing ? If you now have the desire to do so that is.
    Not sure whats involved in removing it as i didn't fit it, but it maybe I will have to go down that route if it isn't cured? I'll see how it goes over the next few days.

Not sure whats involved in removing it as i didn't fit it, but it maybe I will have to go down that route if it isn't cured? I'll see how it goes over the next few days.
    Kevs stuff is usually very simple and plug and play, so i'd expect this to be no different in that context.

How long are you looking at befre the 660 is going ?

7. The following user liked this post made by Weeksy:

Kevs stuff is usually very simple and plug and play, so i'd expect this to be no different in that context.

How long are you looking at befre the 660 is going ?
    I'll probably put the Triumph up for sale again shortly as the weather is breaking now. If that sells, then i'll buy my new bike pretty much straight away and then i'll be selling the Xt the same day. So its hard to say as the Triumph Speedmaster is not a good or quick selling bike? I'd rather sort the problem with the XT before selling, but if not i'll just ebay and say it occasionally struggles to start? Its been a fantastic bike really, and its kept the Triumph safely tucked up under its cover, so if i have to lose a few quid on it, It wont bother me too much.

Liked 936 in 605 posts

In my long exposure to shonkers , the only real electrical faults I've known have been down to non standard parts or honda regulators. So since yours isn't a Honda, look at any non standard parts.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 10 in 9 posts

Throttle position sensors have been a known fault on these, Ive been through a couple in 60,000 miles.

11. The following user liked this post made by Johnny:

This *MAY* be fixed?! I ordered a known good, second hand coil, to try as a process of elimination. While I was waiting for it to be delivered, I checked my coil with a multimeter and it was all within spec. But, as I had bought the coil, i decided I may as well fit it it before the new owner picks it up, sort of one less thing for him to check.

This morning I came out and it started instantly and i rode it up the road and thought, it seemed to have more power and was more responsive. Got out on the A road and it definitely felt more responsive and lot more punchy!? I guess if a coil is breaking down the readings it gives may not be conclusive? Anyone had or heard of that?

I guess only time will tell if that was the cause, but i'm only using it for the next few days, so i'll ask the new owner to let me know if it ever fails to start again. Either way, at least I didn't waste my money on the coil, lol!

13. The following 5 users liked this useful post by Taipan:

Liked 1,431 in 1,001 posts
    Blog Entries

This *MAY* be fixed?! I ordered a known good, second hand coil, to try as a process of elimination. While I was waiting for it to be delivered, I checked my coil with a multimeter and it was all within spec. But, as I had bought the coil, i decided I may as well fit it it before the new owner picks it up, sort of one less thing for him to check.

This morning I came out and it started instantly and i rode it up the road and thought, it seemed to have more power and was more responsive. Got out on the A road and it definitely felt more responsive and lot more punchy!? I guess if a coil is breaking down the readings it gives may not be conclusive? Anyone had or heard of that?

I guess only time will tell if that was the cause, but i'm only using it for the next few days, so i'll ask the new owner to let me know if it ever fails to start again. Either way, at least I didn't waste my money on the coil, lol!
    Yep. I tell a tale of a yank pony car, huge MOPAR coil in it, running issue like yours, then one morning it wouldn't start. Little wizened old bloke has look, fucks off, come back with a moth eaten coil of a Cortina. It's like a cigarette compared to a canon. But old bloke has the last laugh. Plugs it in, instant vroooom, vroom & usual insane performance all back again.

15. The following user liked this post made by Editor:

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    Yep. I tell a tale of a yank pony car, huge MOPAR coil in it, running issue like yours, then one morning it wouldn't start. Little wizened old bloke has look, fucks off, come back with a moth eaten coil of a Cortina. It's like a cigarette compared to a canon. But old bloke has the last laugh. Plugs it in, instant vroooom, vroom & usual insane performance all back again.
    Well the new coil did give it a much more visible spark, so I am hopeful. I'll ask the new owner to let me know how he gets on with it.

17. The following user liked this post made by Taipan:

Well the new coil did give it a much more visible spark, so I am hopeful. I'll ask the new owner to let me know how he gets on with it.
    Can't believe you've sold the best bike ever !

19. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Weeksy:

Liked 1,460 in 901 posts

Seriously? You've sold several "best bike" evers... repeatedly. And for good reason, the next bike does tend to be the best bike ever.....

Quote Originally Posted by Makman View Post
    Seriously?.
    i dont do seriously

22. The following user liked this post made by Weeksy:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 3,497 in 2,034 posts
    Blog Entries

At least he had the politeness to wait until the fork spacers had arrived*

*There should be a deadpan smiley

24. The following 3 users liked this useful post by cheb:

Didnt realise how down on power this was. Always thought it was a little but down, or it was the gearing, as it wouldn't lift the front wheel off the throttle, like my CCMs would, but it bastard did tonight! I nearly flipped it on the Barking flyover as I cracked open the throttle on the crest and up she came!

26. The following user liked this post made by Taipan:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum