TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need a design for a workbench

Should Get Out More demographic's Avatar
    Less than fifty miles from Moscow, honest guv...
    Liked 1,332 in 800 posts

Default Re: Need a design for a workbench

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Ply on the sides and the back (ideally glued and screwed makes it a shitload stronger but still basically a fast build) pretty much totally stop it from twisting.

You can fuck on doing mortise and tenons which for a joiners bench is great (check out Paul Sellers on Youtube for a good version) and all but I assume the OP wants it done this year.

I sometimes throw together benches on site with a top like that, its strong enough for twenty or more sheets of half inch plasterboard...
    Hell, my sawstools often have a huge amount of weight on them (three bits of CLS from one across to the other then a fucking massive stack of plywood think I've had half a pallet on there before which is thirty five or so) and some people would be mortified at how quickly I threw them together about ten years ago.

You can also glue several sheets of ply together to form a top, four thickness of half inch ply ends up unsurprisingly at two inches (or close enough for a country job) and if thats not strong enough (when supported at half decent intervals) for a bloke to stick a motorbike on and work on then I need my bullshit detector fixed.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
    Liked 654 in 386 posts

That's a gardeners potting bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Lutin View Post
    Prompted by Irn Bru Freak's post here, this is sort of the design of bench that I had in mind (though without the back shelf thingy) -

Liked 654 in 386 posts

No lights above the work bench?

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post

Liked 3,917 in 2,445 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZRX61 View Post
    No lights above the work bench?
    There's a roof light for natural light. A LED striplight to the left and a powerful spotlight in top right corner. It's plenty bright enough

6. The following user liked this post made by Yorick:

Liked 991 in 693 posts

This guy rocks

Really Bored
    Liked 486 in 334 posts

Bit surprised that he puts his planes face down. I was told that this was a definite no-no.

9. The following user liked this post made by Lutin:

Should Get Out More demographic's Avatar
    Less than fifty miles from Moscow, honest guv...
    Liked 1,332 in 800 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lutin View Post
    Bit surprised that he puts his planes face down. I was told that this was a definite no-no.
    I never do it, but have heard his argument for it and in a bench joiner setting where everyone in the area is also a bench joiner and would never put it down onto concrete or metal it could be ok.

In my setting I often dont have my bench nearby and have to put my handplane on concrete floors and so on so I would rather that everyone around me puts them on their side.
    I figure my rule is simpler to remember by the plumbers, painters, sparks and labourers who sometimes move my tools.

11. The following user liked this post made by demographic:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Go Back to Forum My Forum