TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Sweet, my christmas present is a day off-roading! Would like some helmet advice

Liked 187 in 80 posts

Default Sweet, my christmas present is a day off-roading! Would like some helmet advice

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    With these people, https://www.trailandoffroad.co.uk/ they supply all the kit apart from helmets. I've got an old Arai road helmet I could use, do you think that would be alright or is there a cheapish off-road helmet you'd recommend?

I was thinking about getting a full-face helmet for mountain biking anyway, are there motorbike helmets that would be light enough for mountain biking too or visa versa?

Any other tips for a rookie, I'm going to try and get my fitness up a bit before hand but what else should I take, think about?

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,716 in 2,272 posts

Default Re: Sweet, my christmas present is a day off-roading! Would like some helmet advice

Any MX full face helmet with a British standard will do, I've crashed HJC helmets at 70mph+ off road with no problems, you'll want a set of goggles, don't get cheap ones they fall apart, get Oakley or Scott, they each have a slightly different fit around the nose so try both with your new helmet before you buy.
    Visit a discount MX store before buying anything.
    Fitness wise, apart from general stamina there's fuck all that makes you ache in the same places as riding off road, but so long as you can stand up for a couple of hours you'll be okay, riding technique is similar to downhill mountain biking but obviously the bike weighs a lot more.

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

Liked 6,278 in 3,935 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Sweet, my christmas present is a day off-roading! Would like some helmet advice

Pop over here and take mine for a spin

Liked 6,143 in 3,177 posts

I'm sure you'll be fine on trails with an old road helmet, there isn't a lot of point spending money on an MX helmet for just one day.
    And tbh a lot of it is fashion anyway, there isn't a huge amount of difference in using a road helmet or an MX helmet for green lane type stuff.

I have several of both, but I'd be perfectly happy riding trails with a road helmet on.

Liked 2,361 in 1,214 posts

An MX helmet typically provides more ventilation, and you'll be doing some puffing and panting unless your name is Knighter. It also allows you to wear goggles, which won't get steamed up like a visor will. I bought a 30 one (worn once, by somebody doing an offroad tryout day!) off ebay and it's still going strong. You won't have the same sort of impacts as you might get on the road so it's less critical on spec and condition as long as it fits OK.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission