TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Is it possible to improve the bluetooth Macbook pro

Courchevel 1650 (winter). Canet Plage (summer)
    Liked 1,067 in 628 posts

Default Is it possible to improve the bluetooth Macbook pro

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Mine is a A1278 2012 spec machine, with maxed out RAM and a SSD.

I have a great bluetooth speaker but it doesn't work well if wifi is on.

As I understand the issue is that the macbook takes power from the bluetooth to run the wifi. So If I want to watch something online I can't use the speaker as it momentarily cuts in and out. With wifi off the speaker works brilliantly. I've run the debug from the hidden bluetooth menu but that hasn't cured the problem.

Is it possible to upgrade the bluetooth inside the macbook. I'd rather not use external, A because it won't fit in the case I use for transportation and B I'd rather not use up a USB port.

I've found a little bit of info online about extending the range on Mac desktops but can I get anything for the macbook? and will extending the range help with the issue I have?

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
    Liked 1,388 in 968 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is it possible to improve the bluetooth Macbook pro

Blimey-only device I've ever run simultaneously wifi & bluetooth is an Alexa, which is rather more modern. Not running it off the battery doing this are you?

Don't know enough about bluetooth frequencies, but if they do use a carrier in the region of wifi ones, then change the wifi channel maybe?

Otherwise look for the most updated drivers, not from Apple (well do start there) but the mac specific ones of the manufacturers of whoever made the bluetooth board site?

What happens if you move the bluetooth speaker a lot closer?

Found these:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...s-choppy-skips

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-fix-bluetooth-audio-stuttering-1806113443

HTH. Interesting one that!!

Liked 1,076 in 767 posts

I use laptops and phones running both simultaneously, they shouldn't interfere with each other. I have more problems with different Bluetooth devices working at the same time.

Liked 1,067 in 628 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    Blimey-only device I've ever run simultaneously wifi & bluetooth is an Alexa, which is rather more modern. Not running it off the battery doing this are you?

Nope

Don't know enough about bluetooth frequencies, but if they do use a carrier in the region of wifi ones, then change the wifi channel maybe?

Otherwise look for the most updated drivers, not from Apple (well do start there) but the mac specific ones of the manufacturers of whoever made the bluetooth board site?

What happens if you move the bluetooth speaker a lot closer?

Makes no difference

Found these:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...s-choppy-skips

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-fix-bluetooth-audio-stuttering-1806113443

Will look for drivers

HTH. Interesting one that!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mussels View Post
    I use laptops and phones running both simultaneously, they shouldn't interfere with each other. I have more problems with different Bluetooth devices working at the same time.
    Hmm this is odd, I was sure I posted on here about the speaker stuttering and was told that the wifi steals power from bluetooth, maybe it wasn't here, maybe whoever said it was wrong.

I'm gonna start with the other drivers and go from there.

6. The following user liked this post made by Jody:

Liked 1,388 in 968 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jody View Post

1 was told that the wifi steals power from bluetooth, maybe it wasn't here, maybe whoever said it was wrong.

2 I'm gonna start with the other drivers and go from there.
    1 don't believe that one-not if you're running it off the mains

Check the frequencies out or simply just change the wifi channel from one extreme to another (make a note of what it was!) & see what happens.

2 But that's my betting. That sticking it closer makes zero difference says to me that it's not a transmission power output issue, or to a lesser extent, a fequency one. I'd still go for the easy start above though.

HTH

Liked 1,076 in 767 posts

Hmm this is odd, I was sure I posted on here about the speaker stuttering and was told that the wifi steals power from bluetooth, maybe it wasn't here, maybe whoever said it was wrong.

I'm gonna start with the other drivers and go from there.
    Sorry I was a bit vague, I don't have any Apple stuff so there may well be some appalling design flaw with yours.

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 3,818 in 2,449 posts

Have you tried switching your WiFi to 5ghz?
    Seems there is, or was an issue for some after an os update.
    https://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...since-yosemite
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=15&tstart=0

10. The following user liked this post made by mrlongbeard:

Liked 1,067 in 628 posts

Changing the wifi isn't really an option as it's not my Wifi.

I did however have success with changing the apple settings from the Terminal page.

They were set to 40, now set to 80. I'm unable to test the speaker right now (as the mrs is trying to sleep). But I got a new set of BT earbuds today and before I changed the settings they to cut in and out. Changed the settings 5 mins ago and it hasn't played up once yet

Now need to find out if/ how I can change those settings on my Galaxy 4 as use the earbuds mainly with that !

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 3,818 in 2,449 posts

Changing the wifi isn't really an option as it's not my Wifi.

I did however have success with changing the apple settings from the Terminal page.

They were set to 40, now set to 80. I'm unable to test the speaker right now (as the mrs is trying to sleep). But I got a new set of BT earbuds today and before I changed the settings they to cut in and out. Changed the settings 5 mins ago and it hasn't played up once yet

Now need to find out if/ how I can change those settings on my Galaxy 4 as use the earbuds mainly with that !
    I had actually meant change your device to only work on the 5ghz range, but I did assume the router you're hooking up to supports it.
    As for your phone, you may not need to change anything, I've never had my phone not work with any Bluetooth speakers or headphones, neither has my daughter, and we're both using android phones albeit different manufacturer's.

13. The following user liked this post made by mrlongbeard:

Liked 1,067 in 628 posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrlongbeard View Post
    I had actually meant change your device to only work on the 5ghz range, but I did assume the router you're hooking up to supports it.
    As for your phone, you may not need to change anything, I've never had my phone not work with any Bluetooth speakers or headphones, neither has my daughter, and we're both using android phones albeit different manufacturer's.
    When using the earbuds today they did cut out, so something needed to be fixed, though it was not nearly as often as the mac was doing it.
    That said the phone has always been fine with both the speaker and when paired to my van stereo.

I followed a vid on youtube advising clearing the data in the bluetooth apps part of the phone. I'm currently listening to non downloaded music through google play, while downloading a different playlist to the phone and it now seems ok. So maybe that one is a more simple fix.
    As I typed that last line it cut out, but it has to be said it was for a fraction of a second so much shorter and less annoying than before, and I am asking a lot of the phone right now.

Liked 1,067 in 807 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mussels View Post
    Sorry I was a bit vague, I don't have any Apple stuff so there may well be some appalling design flaw with yours.
    What he said.

Your problem is your device has an apple logo on it. You might be able to pay apple 1000 for them to make something they made shit better, but it's doubtful.

Liked 1,067 in 628 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    What he said.

Your problem is your device has an apple logo on it. You might be able to pay apple 1000 for them to make something they made shit better, but it's doubtful.
    You're probably right, but as per mt previous reply I have now cured the problem by adjusting the apple settings via Terminal.

Questions that raises though are
    A why didn't apple send it out with these settings
    B Is something else going to suffer now I changed them
    C if so what and will I notice !

Liked 1,067 in 628 posts

When using the earbuds today they did cut out, so something needed to be fixed, though it was not nearly as often as the mac was doing it.
    That said the phone has always been fine with both the speaker and when paired to my van stereo.

I followed a vid on youtube advising clearing the data in the bluetooth apps part of the phone. I'm currently listening to non downloaded music through google play, while downloading a different playlist to the phone and it now seems ok. So maybe that one is a more simple fix.
    As I typed that last line it cut out, but it has to be said it was for a fraction of a second so much shorter and less annoying than before, and I am asking a lot of the phone right now.
    The earbuds were OK but not perfect with the phone yesterday and decidedly unusable with the mac.
    I emailed the customer service of the manufacturer who came back said they must be faulty and asked for my address so they can send some new ones

18. The following user liked this post made by Jody:

Go Back to Forum My Forum