TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Latch Ideas

Liked 2,520 in 1,829 posts

Default Latch Ideas

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I am in the middle of changing my van internals around. Making a pull out double sofa bed across the back doors and the back rest of the sofa i want to hinge to allow me to drop it an still put larger items in the van for the odd transportation. What i dont want is the hear it rattling about when driving, i want a tight fit and i dont want them spring loaded as i cant hold one open and reach the other if you know what i mean. Any ideas of a nice latch rather than crude deadbolts?

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
    Should Get Out More
    Liked 3,249 in 1,889 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Latch Ideas

Could you use a wingbolt and threaded insert?

Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    Could you use a wingbolt and threaded insert?
    Possible. See how there is a shelf along the back, i have decided to hinge that to the back rest also. At present that and the back rest is just screwed into blocks of wood attached to the door pillars so yes, hinge shelf and two drop bolts holding in place. May not need to bother with wing nuts that way as drop bots may hold it all. Only concern is keeping it all tight as i hate rattles. Six foot piano hinge along the shelf may keep it tight.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 3,249 in 1,889 posts
    Blog Entries

Ah, I see where you you might put them properly now. I'm with you on the no rattlyness too, it's a type of noise I find difficult to ignore.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/smith-loc...ed-150mm/8270j

Can't see if it locks open.

6. The following user liked this post made by cheb:

Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    Ah, I see where you you might put them properly now. I'm with you on the no rattlyness too, it's a type of noise I find difficult to ignore.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/smith-loc...ed-150mm/8270j

Can't see if it locks open.
    They were the kind of thing i was trying to avoid due to them having to be operated at the same time but now i think i can have them at the door pillars facing out into my fixed blocks so only about 5' apart.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 131 in 81 posts

They do a version of that style of bolt that has a lockout function. You pull it out and twist it 90 degrees and a small rivet/bulge sits behind the mounting bracket and holds the bolt back. I have no idea what it would be called, Iíve seen them on gates as a spring loaded drop bolt (that bolts into the floor), so you can open the gate without it catching on the floor. Iyswim.

Edit: ive seen a much cruder version of this sort of thing clicky

9. The following user liked this post made by Newfish:

Quote Originally Posted by Newfish View Post
    They do a version of that style of bolt that has a lockout function. You pull it out and twist it 90 degrees and a small rivet/bulge sits behind the mounting bracket and holds the bolt back. I have no idea what it would be called, I’ve seen them on gates as a spring loaded drop bolt (that bolts into the floor), so you can open the gate without it catching on the floor. Iyswim.

Edit: ive seen a much cruder version of this sort of thing clicky
    I know exactly what you mean thank you. I have a trip out to B&Q near the end of the week so hopefully they have them in stock.

11. The following user liked this post made by 1888:

Liked 880 in 569 posts

Any way to make a fanlight latch do it? I used a couple as child locks on a tall cupboard, I've put screws in the jamb behind the door to adjust for rattles. Works perfectly for what I'm doing. They are spring loaded but the little handle makes it easy to operate. You could tie a piece of string on if it helped.

Go Back to Forum My Forum