Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pre-race testing.. Pembrey 28th July. PBTD

Liked 1,922 in 1,167 posts

Default Re: Pre-race testing.. Pembrey 28th July. PBTD

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    Indeed it could and likely will.... We've had plenty of rain 2 miles from track and none on the circuit. I must admit it's a little disappointing considering the weather in the rest of the UK for the past 6 weeks... but what can you do, we can't influence the weather.

That's how I felt about Oulton Park this year ... I hope its nice and dry for you buddy!

Liked 8,764 in 5,024 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr OCD View Post
    That's how I felt about Oulton Park this year ... I hope its nice and dry for you buddy!
    I don't give a shit, it's unlikely mine will be in the van due to space

Liked 4,323 in 2,376 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Today one will mainly be swapping tyres from the road SV and final fettling before loading the van. Got some gardening to do at the rellies place so I'll head for Swansea tomorrow morning and see you boys at the track at 7ish. I take it you'll be over on the right near scruting?
    Weeksy is driving so not sure where he''s parking but we'll keep and eye out and save a slot

4. The following user liked this post made by GiantPygmy:

The CBR has a centre stand which makes it easier to slot it in upright in the middle of the other 2

Quote Originally Posted by GiantPygmy View Post
    The CBR has a centre stand which makes it easier to slot it in upright in the middle of the other 2
    Until it moves lol. 690 will go on paddock stand as better tie down points of grab rails.

7. The following user liked this post made by Weeksy:

Quote Originally Posted by GiantPygmy View Post
    Weeksy is driving so not sure where he''s parking but we'll keep and eye out and save a slot
    People are doing Friday too, so we're wherever we get space

9. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Weeksy:

Liked 1,095 in 493 posts

Yes it will, you can do it matey- seriously, will be a shame if you don't bring it, I was banking on having it as a second wet bike if it rains

Meanwhile, in other news, as of a couple of hours ago, the MT is sporting a nice brand new Bridgestone all ready for Saturday, although I'll be taking it steady on it, this tyre's got to get me to Croatia and back in a couple of weeks time too

11. The following 4 users liked this useful post by TrickyDicky:

Liked 2,058 in 1,049 posts
    Blog Entries

Nice S21 mister, I've got one of those on the front. Still got the old touring BT023 on the back, what could possibly go wrong?

All 3 bikes are loaded in van. Whether they'll remain like that is anyone's guess.

Bikes survived, sitting in bar drinking beers and watching the TDF with pygmy and my lad. Doesn't get any better

Liked 1,095 in 493 posts

Well , what a fun 24hrs that was, despite the absolutely shite (it has been every time Ive gone to Pembrey), with traffic jams on the way down, but it all got better instantly we got to the pub.

The Weeksys and Pygmy were a good few pints ahead of us, but we had a go at catching up, and a very nice pie to wash the beer down with too

Today you could say the weather was a bit mixed- at times there was torrential rain, some of the loudest thunder I've ever heard, and 40mph+ winds, but also some nice hot sun too, and miraculously too, not a single red flag, and despite some ups and downs with the weather it was a cracking day overall.

The 390 was effectively my wet bike, and as such, it acquitted itself very well and was great fun but , well, lets face it, it is seriously slow as a track bike really , solely down to the engine it just needs (a lot) more HP

I never did ride Pygmy's CBR, I was just about to jump on it when Weeksy offered me his KTM, so the poor old plain jane CBR got bumped for an arguably more exotic and tarty 690 and a fun sesssion that was too- the motor seemed much keener and massively smoother than I remember his last 690, and after being on the 390 all morning, it was so nice to be on something with a bit of oomph - this one is still just about the quickest steering bike ever, as a track bike, great on the road, but it's one of those bikes that i think needs a slightly different approach to most on the track to get the best from it .
    I'm definitely not there with it yet;- you sit very high relatively speaking which I think adds to the twitchy feeling;- I reckon if I spent a day on it I could get much more comfortable and faster on it- whatever, there is no denying its brilliant fun and very capable, but as I said to Weeksy, currently my ideal KTM single trackbike would be that engine in the 390 chassis- it of course wouldn't fit , but I truly reckon that could be awesome if it would.

But overall, the highlight for me was the MT-10 in the last session I did,- I spent the whole sesh with a fully committed bloke on a standard looking road going K5/K6 gixahhh, he made me get my finger out more than I have for quite a while, was the perfect pace for me really and was the most brilliant fun - what a bike, was so stable , solid as a rock in the wind, so different to both the KTMs in that respect but just simply so fast and so so much fun- it got me sweating, and the heart rate up in the high 160s for most of the session according to Mr Garmin which is 30 or 40 than I usually manage when going for it on a bike , I didn't want the session to end

Overall a great do, and turned out so much better weather-wise than we all thought it was going to when we were all huddling trying to escape from the rain and wind late morning- a very enjoyable social and a perfect tester for the main event next month- looking forward to it more than ever now!

P.S. for Des- sorry didn't say bye when we left, we were hanging around waiting for you to come back, but they were shutting the circuit gate so we had to go just as we saw you come back into the paddock- see you again next month hopefully

16. The following 2 users liked this useful post by TrickyDicky:

Weeksy, myself and Weeksy Jr beat most of the traffic and the were installed in the bar watching the tour before 4 o'clock, - its the most civilized way of doing it so i would encourage people coming for the main event to leave as early as they can. If you are planning on taking a half day, go mad and take the whole day off. Anyway, we had a very pleasant evening :cheers:

Looking at the weather on Saturday morning and knowing the forecast, I wouldn't have believed I'd get 4 mostly dry sessions in.
    I was really keen to try the CBR with its fueling finally sorted out.First session was damp / wet / dry patches so we all took it reasonably easy but after that it was just a case of avoiding a few patches on an otherwise dry circuit. It was clear that the fueling was spot on though so I was really chuffed. 2nd session the track was mostly dry and being able to just roll off the throttle slightly through the kink and have no stuttering through Avon and onto the back straight was brilliant.

On the first afternoon session, whilst Tricky was on the 690, I was on his MT-10SP. It was the first time I'd ridden one of these and Tricky chose an appropriate mode for me (old fart no crashing before I take my pride and joy across europe on holiday mode!).
    The first impression you get is how solid feeling it is and how stable the steering is. Then you open it up and holy fuck does it go! :0 The motor is just super strong everywhere, a lovely, lovely engine. Big thanks to Tricky

Another dry but windy session on the CBR and we were done for the day. A top day out with top people

18. The following 2 users liked this useful post by GiantPygmy:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Go Back to Forum My Forum