TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 64

Thread: Oxfam and hookers

  1. #31
    Should Get Out More MrTack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13,021
    Like
    2,547
    Liked 2,414 in 1,176 posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Oxfam and hookers


    TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Is it like sex tourism but they really do hand out sweeties

  2. #32
    Should Get Out More nidge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    5,871
    Like
    1,350
    Liked 1,903 in 873 posts

    Default Re: Oxfam and hookers

    Quote Originally Posted by icarus1859 View Post
    The world is a shitty place sometimes.
    You're right, but we each have a choice to make it less so, or to reinforce the status quo.

    Frankly I'm surprised that professional people on this thread are defending the actions of employees which are tainting their organizations- would you be so understanding if your employees' actions brought your organization in the line of criticism? You know only too well that just the suspicion of impropriety can cause problems

  3. The following 3 users liked this useful post by nidge:


  4. #33
    Should Get Out More icarus1859's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Not at home
    Posts
    33,017
    Like
    2,550
    Liked 5,984 in 3,104 posts

    Default Re: Oxfam and hookers

    Quote Originally Posted by nidge View Post
    You're right, but we each have a choice to make it less so, or to reinforce the status quo.

    Frankly I'm surprised that professional people on this thread are defending the actions of employees which are tainting their organizations- would you be so understanding if your employees' actions brought your organization in the line of criticism? You know only too well that just the suspicion of impropriety can cause problems

    I don’t have ownership of my employees actions when they’re not at work.
    Its possible that some might be selling sex and some might be buying it - but I’m not a policeman or a social worker.

    If I found out an employee was abusing children then I’d involve the police.
    If I found out that an employee was visiting a dominatrix in his spare time then I’d take the position that it’s none of my business.

  5. The following 3 users liked this useful post by icarus1859:


  6. #34
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lahndahn innit
    Posts
    10,944
    Like
    119
    Liked 452 in 340 posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Oxfam and hookers

    Blackjack and hookers?


  7. #35
    Should Get Out More the phantom pieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brighton-ish
    Posts
    10,867
    Like
    1,496
    Liked 1,092 in 726 posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Oxfam and hookers

    Quote Originally Posted by JamJar View Post
    I agree and I think this is also couple with the media hyping it up a bit because they know it will appeal to the "we shouldn't send aid overseas, charity begins at home" brigade.
    I doubt the last statement - I think it resonates with the #metoo "men in power abusing their position" rather than anything to do with sending aid to foreign places...
    Would anyone have an issue with sending aid to a country that has just been decimated by a cyclone/ hurricane/earthquake etc?
    Last edited by the phantom pieman; 13-02-18 at 16:31.

  8. #36
    Should Get Out More icarus1859's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Not at home
    Posts
    33,017
    Like
    2,550
    Liked 5,984 in 3,104 posts

    Default Re: Oxfam and hookers

    Quote Originally Posted by the phantom pieman View Post
    Would anyone have an issue with sending aid to a country that has just been decomated by a cyclone/ hurricane/earthquake etc?
    Yes, lots.
    Old war heroes dying in poverty because they can't afford to put their gas fire on - that type of headline would get people complaining about sending money to darkies instead of "looking after our own".

  9. #37
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    6,866
    Like
    32
    Liked 1,354 in 861 posts

    Default Re: Oxfam and hookers

    Quote Originally Posted by icarus1859 View Post
    Yes, lots.
    Old war heroes dying in poverty because they can't afford to put their gas fire on - that type of headline would get people complaining about sending money to darkies instead of "looking after our own".
    They wouldn't know who to complain about first if they were our own old darkie war heroes dying in poverty.

  10. The following user liked this post made by Bike Breaker:


  11. #38
    Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Middle of nowhere
    Posts
    22,019
    Like
    1,385
    Liked 4,333 in 2,744 posts

    Default Re: Oxfam and hookers


  12. The following user liked this post made by mrlongbeard:


  13. #39
    Expecting rain saga_lout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Essex, innit
    Posts
    26,804
    Like
    3,746
    Liked 4,607 in 3,091 posts

    Default Re: Oxfam and hookers

    Quote Originally Posted by the phantom pieman View Post
    Would anyone have an issue with sending aid to a country that has just been decomated by a cyclone/ hurricane/earthquake etc?
    I don't think many would object to sending aid to countries suffering from a natural disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by mrlongbeard View Post
    Countries that have enough spare resources to develop nuclear weapons and have a space program however...

  14. #40
    Should Get Out More nidge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    5,871
    Like
    1,350
    Liked 1,903 in 873 posts

    Default Re: Oxfam and hookers

    Quote Originally Posted by icarus1859 View Post
    I don’t have ownership of my employees actions when they’re not at work.
    Its possible that some might be selling sex and some might be buying it - but I’m not a policeman or a social worker.

    If I found out an employee was abusing children then I’d involve the police.
    If I found out that an employee was visiting a dominatrix in his spare time then I’d take the position that it’s none of my business.
    You really don't see the problem with fucking sex workers on an overseas business trip to an impoverished country whilst representing a high profile charity that's supposed to be making lives better in the region? Hint- it is newsworthy, it has besmirched the name of Oxfam and it has led to a high profile resignation.

  15. #41
    Should Get Out More Taipan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boerthal's hill
    Posts
    45,810
    Like
    13,716
    Liked 8,520 in 4,452 posts

    Default Re: Oxfam and hookers

    Quote Originally Posted by nidge View Post
    You really don't see the problem with fucking sex workers on an overseas business trip to an impoverished country whilst representing a high profile charity that's supposed to be making lives better in the region? Hint- it is newsworthy, it has besmirched the name of Oxfam and it has led to a high profile resignation.
    Even as a minion, i could get the tin tack for bring the company name into disrepute, gross misconduct I believe?

  16. #42
    Should Get Out More icarus1859's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Not at home
    Posts
    33,017
    Like
    2,550
    Liked 5,984 in 3,104 posts

    Default Re: Oxfam and hookers

    Quote Originally Posted by nidge View Post
    You really don't see the problem with fucking sex workers on an overseas business trip to an impoverished country whilst representing a high profile charity that's supposed to be making lives better in the region? Hint- it is newsworthy, it has besmirched the name of Oxfam and it has led to a high profile resignation.

    Wayne Rooney banging an old brass when he's pissed up is newsworthy.
    David Beckham having an affair with some money grabbing trout is newsworthy.

    Well, at least it is for people who like to read a bit of scandal.

    Telling people what they can and cannot do in their own free time is a dangerous game to play.
    If it's illegal then there are laws for it, if it's not then it's none of their employers (or anyone elses) business.

  17. #43
    Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Middle of nowhere
    Posts
    22,019
    Like
    1,385
    Liked 4,333 in 2,744 posts

    Default Re: Oxfam and hookers

    Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    Even as a minion, i could get the tin tack for bring the company name into disrepute, gross misconduct I believe?
    Take your name badge off, job jobbed, no one needs to know.

  18. #44
    Should Get Out More LondonDRZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    At home
    Posts
    11,583
    Like
    1,698
    Liked 2,147 in 1,450 posts

    Default Re: Oxfam and hookers

    Bad Oxfam, bad UN (but I dont seem to remember the Head of the UN resigning

    https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/ne...d-young-woman/

  19. #45
    Should Get Out More Bobzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wigan :(
    Posts
    11,200
    Like
    2,285
    Liked 1,164 in 771 posts
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Oxfam and hookers

    Quote Originally Posted by nidge View Post
    Frankly I'm surprised that professional people on this thread are defending the actions of employees which are tainting their organizations- would you be so understanding if your employees' actions brought your organization in the line of criticism? You know only too well that just the suspicion of impropriety can cause problems
    Once upon a time it was illegal for homosexuals to practice (or compete...). Are you SERIOUSLY telling me that my employers should only not be indignant about my colleague who is gay because the law has caught up with reality?

    Private life is just that. PRIVATE. It is none of my employer's concern what I get up to on the weekend unless and until it impairs my ability to do what they want me to do on Monday morning.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission