TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oxfam and hookers

Liked 2,274 in 1,109 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Oxfam and hookers

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Is it like sex tourism but they really do hand out sweeties

Liked 1,792 in 824 posts

Quote Originally Posted by icarus1859 View Post
    The world is a shitty place sometimes.
    You're right, but we each have a choice to make it less so, or to reinforce the status quo.

Frankly I'm surprised that professional people on this thread are defending the actions of employees which are tainting their organizations- would you be so understanding if your employees' actions brought your organization in the line of criticism? You know only too well that just the suspicion of impropriety can cause problems

3. The following 3 users liked this useful post by nidge:

Liked 5,666 in 2,946 posts

Quote Originally Posted by nidge View Post
    You're right, but we each have a choice to make it less so, or to reinforce the status quo.

Frankly I'm surprised that professional people on this thread are defending the actions of employees which are tainting their organizations- would you be so understanding if your employees' actions brought your organization in the line of criticism? You know only too well that just the suspicion of impropriety can cause problems

I don’t have ownership of my employees actions when they’re not at work.
    Its possible that some might be selling sex and some might be buying it - but I’m not a policeman or a social worker.

If I found out an employee was abusing children then I’d involve the police.
    If I found out that an employee was visiting a dominatrix in his spare time then I’d take the position that it’s none of my business.

5. The following 3 users liked this useful post by icarus1859:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 428 in 323 posts
    Blog Entries

Blackjack and hookers?

Should Get Out More the phantom pieman's Avatar
    Liked 1,053 in 700 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JamJar View Post
    I agree and I think this is also couple with the media hyping it up a bit because they know it will appeal to the "we shouldn't send aid overseas, charity begins at home" brigade.
    I doubt the last statement - I think it resonates with the #metoo "men in power abusing their position" rather than anything to do with sending aid to foreign places...
    Would anyone have an issue with sending aid to a country that has just been decimated by a cyclone/ hurricane/earthquake etc?
    Last edited by the phantom pieman; 13-02-18 at 16:31.

Quote Originally Posted by the phantom pieman View Post
    Would anyone have an issue with sending aid to a country that has just been decomated by a cyclone/ hurricane/earthquake etc?
    Yes, lots.
    Old war heroes dying in poverty because they can't afford to put their gas fire on - that type of headline would get people complaining about sending money to darkies instead of "looking after our own".

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,328 in 847 posts

Yes, lots.
    Old war heroes dying in poverty because they can't afford to put their gas fire on - that type of headline would get people complaining about sending money to darkies instead of "looking after our own".
    They wouldn't know who to complain about first if they were our own old darkie war heroes dying in poverty.

10. The following user liked this post made by Bike Breaker:

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 4,150 in 2,636 posts

12. The following user liked this post made by mrlongbeard:

Liked 4,417 in 2,959 posts

Quote Originally Posted by the phantom pieman View Post
    Would anyone have an issue with sending aid to a country that has just been decomated by a cyclone/ hurricane/earthquake etc?
    I don't think many would object to sending aid to countries suffering from a natural disaster

Quote Originally Posted by mrlongbeard View Post
    Countries that have enough spare resources to develop nuclear weapons and have a space program however...

Liked 1,792 in 824 posts

I don’t have ownership of my employees actions when they’re not at work.
    Its possible that some might be selling sex and some might be buying it - but I’m not a policeman or a social worker.

If I found out an employee was abusing children then I’d involve the police.
    If I found out that an employee was visiting a dominatrix in his spare time then I’d take the position that it’s none of my business.
    You really don't see the problem with fucking sex workers on an overseas business trip to an impoverished country whilst representing a high profile charity that's supposed to be making lives better in the region? Hint- it is newsworthy, it has besmirched the name of Oxfam and it has led to a high profile resignation.

Liked 8,036 in 4,212 posts

You really don't see the problem with fucking sex workers on an overseas business trip to an impoverished country whilst representing a high profile charity that's supposed to be making lives better in the region? Hint- it is newsworthy, it has besmirched the name of Oxfam and it has led to a high profile resignation.
    Even as a minion, i could get the tin tack for bring the company name into disrepute, gross misconduct I believe?

Wayne Rooney banging an old brass when he's pissed up is newsworthy.
    David Beckham having an affair with some money grabbing trout is newsworthy.

Well, at least it is for people who like to read a bit of scandal.

Telling people what they can and cannot do in their own free time is a dangerous game to play.
    If it's illegal then there are laws for it, if it's not then it's none of their employers (or anyone elses) business.

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 4,150 in 2,636 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    Even as a minion, i could get the tin tack for bring the company name into disrepute, gross misconduct I believe?
    Take your name badge off, job jobbed, no one needs to know.

Liked 2,125 in 1,436 posts

Bad Oxfam, bad UN (but I dont seem to remember the Head of the UN resigning

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/ne...d-young-woman/

Liked 1,102 in 728 posts
    Blog Entries

Once upon a time it was illegal for homosexuals to practice (or compete...). Are you SERIOUSLY telling me that my employers should only not be indignant about my colleague who is gay because the law has caught up with reality?

Private life is just that. PRIVATE. It is none of my employer's concern what I get up to on the weekend unless and until it impairs my ability to do what they want me to do on Monday morning.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission