TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Advice re trip to northern Italy in early May

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default Advice re trip to northern Italy in early May

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Hi all, I have got 4 day biking trip to Italy booked in the first week of may, but need the input of people who've been there to help decide which direction I should head.

I am picking up my bike (Triumph tiger 800) just outside Bergamo.

I have done some research and have found websites that tons of amazing roads north of there up past the lakes & into the Alps. However having never been before, I don't know if early May is too early to be heading up into the Alps. I know most of the highest passes are usually still closed.

The alternative plan would be to head east towards lake garda and Verona and do that area, or get my head down the morning of day 1 and head south to Tuscany on the the west coast

Early May, 4 days, which way would you go?
    1) North up past lake Como & into the alps
    2) East into that hilly area around lake garda & verona
    3) South to Tuscany on the west coast.

Opinions from people who've been there please!!

Really Bored
    Liked 383 in 254 posts

Default Re: Advice re trip to northern Italy in early May

Stelvio. Sorry, haven't been there, I'm just in a frivolous mood

Liked 4,335 in 2,245 posts
    Blog Entries

Early May is, as you say, a bit early. Itís weather dependent but if I was you Iíd head south. There are no shortage of great roads.
    Iím riding out there early April and will skirt the alps completely.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,029 in 988 posts
    Blog Entries

Too early for the Alps. Lots of passes will still be closed and if they’re not it will be bloody cold. Loads of great roads without having to do the high passes

At Work
    Liked 462 in 244 posts

Stelvio is closed till June, not sure about Timmelsjoch (which is a pity 'cos there's a bike museum up there)as others have said too early for the Alps. Como and Garda will be busy but plenty of nice stuff between the Alps and Florence. I'm off in late July but driving down in a car via Germany.

Liked 258 in 141 posts
    Blog Entries

Whatever, keep away from the east coast road to the south of Bergamo. If you want to see the Adriatic coastline at its best, go to Croatia. The Italians do.

I'm off to Slovakia a bit later in May, and want to go back to Cortina in Northern Italy-which had some great roads that had only just been cleared of snow. Great roads around there IF they are open.

Liked 2,787 in 1,996 posts

Quote Originally Posted by whysub View Post
    Whatever, keep away from the east coast road to the south of Bergamo. If you want to see the Adriatic coastline at its best, go to Croatia. The Italians do.

I'm off to Slovakia a bit later in May, and want to go back to Cortina in Northern Italy-which had some great roads that had only just been cleared of snow. Great roads around there IF they are open.
    Group of us did that area on the bikes in the late 90's Mid summer and no snow in sight what lead to some amazing roads. We were coming home so went west along to Arabba for two nights then took the SR/SS48 to Bolzano Bozen then Chur for the motorways to motor on to France for the night. Was down at the North side of Lake Como last September for a few days before heading north again all amazing bike roads but a lot of roadworks were going on to make little town bypasses.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission