Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emergency Stops ?

Liked 4,532 in 2,846 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Emergency Stops ?

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Plenty of time to learn bad habits, then?
    Of course. But she can handle a bike. She's happy on my Mad Beta and not scared to fall off. 4 times in 2 hours

Liked 2,401 in 1,582 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    Of course. But she can handle a bike. She's happy on my Mad Beta and not scared to fall off. 4 times in 2 hours
    It was being scared of having the urine extracted that stopped me from falling off

Liked 4,532 in 2,846 posts
    Blog Entries

It was being scared of having the urine extracted that stopped me from falling off
    It's deep sand and soft stuff where I take her.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    It's deep sand and soft stuff where I take her.
    Overshare

Liked 57 in 36 posts

My explanation for clients:
    Ease and squeeze, not grab! Front is the main stopping brake - that's why big bikes have two large front discs and only 1 small rear.
    As the front is applied and the bike slows, the weight moves forward and squashes the front tyre on the tarmac, so you can brake haaarrrrdddeeerrr, just not HARD!! (as in grab).
    Since the front is getting heavier, the rear is getting lighter. The better you get at the front, the less you can do with the rear.
    I don't go on about percentages as I don't have a pressure guage on my hand! The 75/25 thing is just a rough concept to help explain, but it's a variable depending on how good your front braking is. When you get your back wheel in the air, you're doing 100/0!!
    ABS is ace!! We've not had anyone fail their Mod 1 on e-stops since getting bikes with ABS. Before it was doing a 20' smoking skid with the rear that was a serious, if nothing done to correct it, which was often cos the folk weren't aware of it.
    On the Mod 1 test it doesn't have to be the best stop in the world! Don't have to do a stoppie! Just reasonably proficient. Not a fault or a fail if the ABS kicks in.
    If you seriously grabbed the front brake and looked like on the edge of losing control and only saved by ABS, it could be a fail.
    Go with A - Bbbbbbbbbb - C as the method. A for accelerator, B for brake, ease and squeeze, clutch towards the end.
    Not a fail to stall as late with the clutch.
    Even the DVSA have got a lot more reasonable about stuff - used to get minor faults for getting the clutch in too early. Haven't had one for 3 years! There's only so much friction on the rear wheel as it gets lighter, so if you're getting lots of engine braking, you can only do less rear brake. It is a good plan not to pull the clutch in really early from high speed on a m-way. From 32mph on Mod 1, what? a whole second earlier? Doesn't make hardly any difference to the stopping distance.
    Practice is good and what most bikers should do more of. Grabbing is bad, especially if no ABS! We grab it when we're surprised and our survival instincts kick in. ABS can save us from ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Lake View Post
    Ease and squeeze, not grab!

We grab it when we're surprised and our survival instincts kick in. ABS can save us from ourselves.
    Hopp rider training had the 'handshake' example, you might give a firm handshake - but you don't initiate that by grabbing! Hold, then squeeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Lake View Post
    I don't go on about percentages as I don't have a pressure guage on my hand! The 75/25 thing is just a rough concept to help explain, but it's a variable depending on how good your front braking is. When you get your back wheel in the air, you're doing 100/0!!
    And the other thing overlooked by many trying to explain by using the percentages is that 50:50 in the wet is really 25:25 - ie reduced braking effort. But in my collection of 'Really?' info, to challenge sacred cows etc., was a photo from Bike magazine, of their test rider stoppying a bike, almost vertical, headlamp reflecting off the wet tarmac

7. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Horse:

Liked 869 in 363 posts

My two-pence-worth is that as soon as I acquired a new bike, I'd ride it out and on the first few rides always tested that front brake. I reasoned it was a lot easier to get to know the feel when not in a "panic-stop" situation. You can prepare to let go, prepare to get a foot down at the last second and so on. It paid off. On my first ride out on my first [and heavy!] Triumph I was in a line of traffic when a builder's lorry about 200 metres ahead ploughed straight into the back of another lorry parked at the side of the road causing everyone there to test their emergency stopping behind the lorry. Fortunately I was ready and my 220kg Sprint was never in danger of toppling. After that I regularly repeated the procedure at leisure from various speeds , always on a quiet road, in a straight line of course and taught myself a lot. I would recommend practising at leisure.
    HTH?

9. The following 2 users liked this useful post by hawker:

Really Bored
    Liked 301 in 198 posts

My twopenneth is that it might be that learners vary in their tendency toward either over- or under-doing the braking. My son, for example, last year came out of CBT having not really learnt how to brake sufficiently. We practised together and I got him to apply more force to his braking. Maybe other trainees are the opposite - you need to teach them how not to skid (although as Lake said, ABS if fitted tends to take care of that these days).

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,250 in 806 posts

But in my collection of 'Really?' info, to challenge sacred cows etc., was a photo from Bike magazine, of their test rider stoppying a bike, almost vertical, headlamp reflecting off the wet tarmac
    Clearly it wasn't in the '70s on a Honda.

12. The following user liked this post made by Bike Breaker:

Liked 231 in 126 posts

Like Hawker, I make a point of regularly practising hard stops as it's so easy to get (a) complacent and (b) out of the way of doing it.

I have yet to test this with the Guzzi's linked brakes however......

14. The following user liked this post made by iansoady:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum