TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Project Bike Thread

A Bit Bored
    Liked 166 in 26 posts

Default Re: New Project Bike Thread

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Thanks for all of the feedback so far, really appreciate it! Hoping to get some more time on it later this week so will update soon

Quote Originally Posted by khd View Post
    Is the lower yoke on the import alloy or the heavy cast lump.
    Heavy, tonne weight lump on this one lol

Liked 1,127 in 737 posts

Knowing Suzuki penchant for interchangeability I bet you could use some modern superbike yokes for much less money.

3. The following user liked this post made by a_morti:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 166 in 26 posts

Hi All,

Quick update for you all on my progress so far

So the bike is fully stripped and the engine is out - As mentioned previously the frame all good - And have now made sure that the engine and suspension mounts are all good also which is a relief as some of these were victim to cracking so very happy indeed not to have to deal with that!

Everything on the Chassis is now cleaned up and looking like new - With the exception of that swingarm which I am still debating

This weeks aim was to sort the brakes. The rear had a leaky seal and looked all of its 26 Years of age so this was stripped out, cleaned and then resprayed. After a couple of coats and then a few days in the airing cupboard it was looking good so this was then rebuilt with new seals and bleed nipples etc.

The fronts needed a bit more attention, not so much on a cosmetic scale but as in neither of them were operating anywhere near how they should be. Both had at least one seized piston and they were not in a good way at all.

So today's task was a full clean up and rebuild of both of the front calipers, Which took some time as I didn't want to rush things, but am pretty pleased with the results. Pistons were surprisingly good condition and cleaned up ok, and there was no serious issues with the caliper bodies aside from a build up of hardened rubbish in the recesses for the seals. Once I was happy with the state of the bodies the rebuild was relatively straightforward and all went together with no issue other than dropping a seal and having to scrat about on the garage floor trying to find it - All standard stuff lol

So all brakes now fully rebuilt and looking pretty good

Master Cylinders are all spot on, have sprayed the rear one black to match the heel plates on the rear sets and everything is now waiting on the 'Done' Shelf.... The balance is well off at the moment as I have 4 'To do' Shelves and one one 'Done' Shelf so far

Things will be on hold for a week or two now, as I have my track bike to get ready but once that is out of the way I will be looking at the suspension. Forks will have a clean up and new internals and I am looking towards replacing the rear shock potentially (Maybe Nitron or something along those lines). Also need to do the rear suspension linkage also so plenty still to do.

Have a good week everyone!

5. The following 9 users liked this useful post by mikeycee:

At Work
    Liked 863 in 309 posts

The brake lever on mine used to have a bit of 'travel' before the brakes came on which
    was a bit unnerving especially on a track day. It turned out to be the calliper piston seals
    pulling the pistons back too far when I released the brake. Hopefully yours will be ok but
    I fitted later Nissin callipers and the feel at the lever was so much better.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 166 in 26 posts

The brake lever on mine used to have a bit of 'travel' before the brakes came on which
    was a bit unnerving especially on a track day. It turned out to be the calliper piston seals
    pulling the pistons back too far when I released the brake. Hopefully yours will be ok but
    I fitted later Nissin callipers and the feel at the lever was so much better.
    Thanks for the heads up on this, will bear in mind and be extra cautious when I get to the shakedown stage! I'll keep a look out for some Nissins if I do get any issues

8. The following user liked this post made by mikeycee:

Liked 1,722 in 1,017 posts

Mine ran like shit, but with the right spark plugs in it flew.
    I knew nothing about 2 strokes when I had it, surprisingly it didnít go pop but I soon sold it for a brand new zxr400

10. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Claude:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 166 in 26 posts

Hi All!

Apologies for the lack of updates on this thread.... The intention was to take maybe a Month off to get my Trackbike ready and get back to it. However, Once the trackbike was ready - Then came all of the trackdays.... Expense.... And more expense!

So, some 6 months later and a consistently empty wallet, a severely pissed off Missus and a Mega Summer of riding its back to the garage now that the weathers slowly turning to crap and I have a little more money in my back pocket.

Will be picking things back up with the steering - Bearing replacements and top Yoke reconditioning and then onto the forks. I have not even looked at the forks yet so not sure of the condition so we will have to see where we end up with them.

Will have some more updates in the coming weeks.... Sorry for leaving it so long!

12. The following 4 users liked this useful post by mikeycee:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 166 in 26 posts

Evening All

Good today today getting back in to the swing of things and picking up where I left off earlier in the year.... Was not really sure where to begin, so just picked something up and got on!

First job was to sort the forks - All was fine inside so just a clean, change of oil (10w) and then a external clean. To be fair were not in bad condition, but needed some surface prep ahead of the lowers being painted:

[/url]

Once cleaned and degreased I left them to dry out and got on with the steering head bearing replacement, which was an utter arse of a job as I had to take the lower yoke to the local workshop as the old race was not coming off for anything or anyone! Following some heat application and the splitting of the race we were back at the bench and the new bearings went in and the steering is halfway assembled back on the frame...

The upper yoke has just been painted so is now drying off fully before being fitted.

Forks completed also, and again drying off fully before the refit and I am really pleased with the results on these!

Originally I had planned to respray the wheels and do a full refit but on inspection they have been recently sprayed, have new bearings in them with plenty of grease and new cush rubbers which is a right result! Have cleaned up fully and will be replacing the discs before refitting as one looks a bit off and they are a mess. Glad I dont have to muck about with the bearings however!

So, next job will be getting some cash together for new Discs and Tyres and then the Chassis can be put back together and will hopefully start to resemble a bike again! Have been looking at which tyre options I have and noticed that Bridgestone do the S21's to suit. I have the S21's on my S1000RR and I love the feel of them so think I may go down this route on the RGV as well.

Probably another few weeks before I get it back on its wheels, and will update when we are there!!

Have a good weekend everyone
    Last edited by mikeycee; 13-10-18 at 17:43.

14. The following 6 users liked this useful post by mikeycee:

At Work
    Liked 863 in 309 posts

All your work looks neat and tidy , I like it.

16. The following user liked this post made by khd:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 166 in 26 posts

All your work looks neat and tidy , I like it.
    Thanks.... I am a bit 'particular' when I am working and like to put a lot of effort into preparation but it's always worth it to get the right results!

Liked 1,722 in 1,017 posts

Following this with keen interest.

19. The following user liked this post made by Claude:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 166 in 26 posts

Evening All!

Quick Update for the weekend...

Was hoping to get a fair bit of progress made today, but unfortunately got hung up on the first job for pretty much the whole afternoon.

So to begin with, an assessment of the rear sub-frame as I am currently waiting for funds to come in for the new brake discs, lines and rear Sprocket in order to get the rolling chassis together.

All Straight which is good, but the condition was pretty poor:

Its not twisted honestly..... Its just my crap photography skills

Paint was knackered, lots of sticky crap all over it and quite a lot of surface rust on the welds and lifting the paint on some of the thinner bracket sections.

The clean up and prep work took hours..... I expected it to take about 45 Mins tops but 2 Hours into it and I still was not done.... Good job I got an early start!

Luckily there was still some warmth in the afternoon so I could get some paint onto it once prepped...

So now its inside after 5 Coats and is drying out properly overnight in the dining room after leaving it outside as long as possible before the temperature really dropped off.... Much to the other half's dismay

Think this will need another coat, maybe 2 when I have the opportunity but will take a look once its been rested for 48 Hours or so.

Overall however, please with the result so far.

No time for any more this weekend unfortunately as family commitments take over Sunday, Hopefully an opportunity next weekend however before I am away working overseas for a couple of weeks.... Fingers crossed!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

21. The following 10 users liked this useful post by mikeycee:

Liked 1,631 in 842 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Mine ran like shit, but with the right spark plugs in it flew.
    Can't believe I've not seen this thread, top work.

In LC's I used to run iridium spark plugs, a very big difference between those and normal plugs. They did cock all in air cooled RD's but the LC's loved them.

Liked 10,464 in 5,993 posts

You do very very nice work. Lovely stuff!

A Bit Bored
    Liked 166 in 26 posts

Thanks for the feedback!

Really enjoying getting stuck back into this again... Hoping to hit a target of late summer 2019 for completion providing all goes to plan.... In the meantime I'll keep things updated as much as possible!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission