TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New Project Bike Thread

A Bit Bored
    Liked 137 in 23 posts

Default Re: New Project Bike Thread

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    That's still exceptionally good work
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermofo View Post
    Great work
    Thanks!

Feedback is appreciated

Rear shock has now been delivered, fitted and torqued in place so the chassis is essentially complete now aside from the brakes and a little bit of wiring I cannot complete until the motor is back and fitted. On my mobile so cannot post any pics but will add something on my next proper update.

Now waiting for the report from the engine inspection.... That will hopefully be with me in the next week or so.

2. The following 2 users liked this useful post by mikeycee:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 137 in 23 posts

Evening!

Good and bad this evening.... Ill start with the positives, Some pics of the new shock now in place:

I must say - I'm impressed with the build quality of the Hyperpro Unit... Obviously cannot judge the performance just yet, but looking forward to getting things set up once we are on the road and seeing how it holds out! Everything is set as out of the box at the moment, Same with the front end. Ill be setting the sag etc once the bike is fully rebuilt before the first run back out on the road.

So, There is always good and bad - And the bad came in the form of the report from TTW - And the hour long phone conversation that followed! Good job I had the Aircon on in my office or I would be sweating more than I was that's for sure

Good News is that the Crankcase is fine, and is just a casting imperfection, Powervalve assemblies are spot on also albeit absolutely choked solid due to almost non-existent upkeep but I will take that.

Top cylinder as I expected has had a partial seizure and has picked up on the exhaust bridge and has buggered the piston also (I did not take the heads off so failed to clock this but was planning for replacement piston kits regardless). Both cylinders are less than 0.5mm from their wear limits so will require re-plating.

Gearbox Fine, Clutch Serviceable..... All sounding pretty good eh?

Oh... I forgot to mention the crankshaft didn't I?

Its knackered.

On inspection, the centre bearing is able to move freely on its journal.... And I mean loosely sliding side to side. Sean at TTW has never seen a centre journal so badly worn to the point where the bearing can be 'rattled'....

Primary cause for extreme excessive wear on the crank is persistent over revving, coincidentally as part of the work done to get around the Japanese domestic market power restrictions a little red box has been fitted that bypasses the rev limiter so it would seem that the engine has had a bit of a tonking by the looks of it.

There is an option for the shaft to be stripped, the journals built back up again and then machined back down to the correct diameter but this work is costly and does not always succeed. The other negative is that if the work is successful, the lifespan of the crank is reduced due to the method of repair which makes sense I guess.

For a fraction more then the cost of a repair attempt, I can opt for a reconditioned VJ22 Crank which I think I need to go for. Fully in tolerance with good lobes, new seals and new bearings using the my existing Con-Rods with new bottom end bearings.... I don't want to cut corners in this area and certainly if there is a chance of the repair not working I would rather not take the risk.... I don't want it to bugger up in a few thousand miles time either!

So I am looking at 12 Weeks or so for the work to be completed, It could be done sooner but to be perfectly honest I just cannot afford it so I will be drip feeding the funds as and when I can for the work to be gradually completed.

This means I am not quite so confident on getting it back on the road by the end of the summer anymore, however I want to be safe in the knowledge that I've not cut any corners... It would always be in the back of my mind if it was going to fail at any point and lets face it we all know what these 2T Time bombs are like anyway without having to worry about a dodgy crank thrown into the mix!

Will keep you updated as the rebuild progresses.... In the meantime, enjoy the rest of your week!

4. The following 6 users liked this useful post by mikeycee:

Liked 96 in 79 posts

Shame about the crank, but thats 2-strokes. At least your doing a proper job and should get some good times from it in the long run

6. The following user liked this post made by ogri:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 475 in 351 posts
    Blog Entries

Just seen this.

Had an RGV250 and rs250. The RGV250 had quite a few modifications that came from rs250, such as rear shock and carbs. Crankshaft wise, it is cheaper to get a good 2nd hand replacement, have had 4 stroke cranks built up and ground before as there was no cheaper alternative.

Cheers for the updates.

Liked 1,824 in 1,199 posts

That's pants, but you are doing the right thing. No point rushing/cutting corners and paying for it later. Better for it to be ready for next year and done right.

Liked 1,842 in 1,127 posts

That is a mixed bag of news. I guess you can only do what you can do financially and just take it slowly to get it right. Better that it is right and working, than having an issue you know will lunch the whole project when it does faill

A Bit Bored
    Liked 137 in 23 posts

Glad I am in line with the general consensus here in that I am doing the right thing with the reconditioned assembly as opposed to the repair option. I was a bit annoyed the other day with the situation in the fact that it wont be back on the road properly this year, but I couldn't run the risk of it ruining the whole project once it was running again by something I had perhaps cut a corner on.

On the positive side however If my timings right, I may even be able to get it on to a track day at Mallory or suchlike to have it run in towards the end of the season as it would be great to have it set up and ready to go this year so I can concentrate on the cosmetics over the winter... You never know!

A Bit Bored
    Liked 137 in 23 posts

Afternoon.... Hope you are all doing good

Quick update on the engine...... Its finally in the rebuilding process which pleases me immensely!

Reconditioned Crank in place and bottom end rebuild is now complete - Not a wobble to be had and pleasantly corrosion free unlike the old assembly:

The top end rebuilt is being completed tomorrow all being well, both cylinders are back from the re-plating and everything is ready to go:

PV Assemblies before the initial inspection and clean up:

And looking a bit more healthy after a De-Carbon:

I've opted to not replace the PV Assemblies at this time. Whilst being very crapped up, mechanically they are sound. I may well look at this area again going forward but for this time we are good to move forward with these parts.

Whilst this has been going on I have accumulated all the last parts to finish off the braking system so I will be on with this at the weekend, then hopefully soon(ish) once the engine is back in my care I can get everything back in place, all the systems tested and bled and hopefully have a runner again!

Nice to have some progress again, has been quite frustrating with the project stagnating for a bit. However very keen to hopefully get stuck in again and get things rolling.

Thanks for reading, and will update further soon!

12. The following 5 users liked this useful post by mikeycee:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 137 in 23 posts

Evening!

Hope your all making the most of the last bit of mild weather we are getting.... I've spent most of the day holed up in the garage making some good progress on the RGV, Am so glad to be moving forward once again and may still be on target for having a runner before Christmas.

Engine back in my possession at last and although not so much visibly cleaner to the naked eye, it is pretty much fully refreshed internally with the exception of the gearbox which was in a good state of repair.

Ive been flamed by some of the restoration 'aficionados' for not having the cases & Heads blasted and the covers sprayed but I'm not in the position to get this done at the moment as its too costly so have politely told everyone to get F**ked.... I've spoken to a lot of decent people over the last 12 Months or so for advice and opinions, but there does seem to be an awful lot of know it all bell ends in these circles and snobbery is rife!

So first job straight away was to get the engine back in the frame, on my own this was surprisingly harder than expected but with a bit of sweat, swearing and a couple of beers it slotted in nicely and is now in, lined up and torqued in place.

Once the engine was seated and settled, I had the carbs back on the table for a final inspection, check the needle heights and to replace all of the O-Rings and also the gauze filters on the fuel intake pipes... I was quite shocked at how much crap these tiny filters catch!

Once complete, it was time for the nightmare to commence. Getting the Carbs mounted back on the boots is a notorious pain of a job, but with a bit of perseverance I managed to get them in and lined up correctly with not too many issues. Then it was a case of linking up the cables to the sliders and springs, Connecting the Oil Pump lines to the central cable hub and then re-routing all of the Fuel Lines, Vacuum pipes & Air solenoid tubes. There is an absolute Myriad of Wires, Cables and tubing in an extremely small space on an RGV and as anyone who has worked on one will testify, getting the routing layed out exactly as specified in the workshop manual is essential for everything else going together correctly..... And it took me ages.

Ignore the lashed up loom on the right... Its not finished!!

I went from this and lead myself to re-routing all of the rear end wiring as whilst connecting up the Neutral and Stand switching I realised that I had made a few errors. Still in the process of doing this and will have to pick it up again tomorrow.

Next Job after this will be connecting the cabling up for the Power Valve system and setting the free play, Then I need to get the cooling hoses back on and then fill and bleed out the system and also fill and bleed the 2T Oil tank and lines.

But for now we are looking more and more like a bike each time, pleased with the progress today and looking forward to hopefully further updating again soon.

Thanks for reading as always, Any advice and opinion is welcomed if you have any.......... Just don't get on my back about the state of the motor please! Haha

Hope you all enjoy the remainder of your weekend

14. The following 13 users liked this useful post by mikeycee:

+ Show/Hide list of likes

Liked 1,824 in 1,199 posts

On the state of the motor I'd say....

F&ck em. It's your bike.

Looks like you are doing a great job and doing the things that need doing correctly.

16. The following user liked this post made by Supermofo:

At Work
    Liked 848 in 304 posts

As you have the exhaust off it is worth checking that the marks on the pulleys line up
    at the correct point the power valves open . Also worth highlighting the marks with a
    marker pen.
    I made a little tool to help line up the marks

18. The following user liked this post made by khd:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 137 in 23 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Supermofo View Post
    On the state of the motor I'd say....

F&ck em. It's your bike.

Looks like you are doing a great job and doing the things that need doing correctly.
    Thanks Mate - I appreciate it! Back when I started this at the beginning of 2018 after some wise words from a lot of people (In particular Icarus right here!) I decided that I was not going for a full restoration, but I wanted to get it into a very respectable condition but still have time to ride the thing before my back finally gives out and I cant do more than 2 Miles on the thing

Quote Originally Posted by khd View Post
    As you have the exhaust off it is worth checking that the marks on the pulleys line up
    at the correct point the power valves open . Also worth highlighting the marks with a
    marker pen.
    I made a little tool
    Great suggestion, I had this on the list whilst putting the pulleys back together.... And they are much further out than I expected them to be! Once I have power to the system I will be getting these completely true in relation to the actual Full/Mid/Closed points before its run.

Thanks!

Liked 10,425 in 5,963 posts

There's no point doing it to the extent you're scared to take it out of the garage

Imo you're doing a fantastic job. Keep going as you are

21. The following user liked this post made by Weeksy:

Really Bored
    Liked 556 in 287 posts

Your bike - your rules, do it how you want to

Keep it up, looks like a cracking project. Should be fun on a sunny sunday blast.

23. The following user liked this post made by crust:

Liked 5,550 in 2,978 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    There's no point doing it to the extent you're scared to take it out of the garage

Imo you're doing a fantastic job. Keep going as you are

Quote Originally Posted by crust View Post
    Your bike - your rules, do it how you want to

Keep it up, looks like a cracking project. Should be fun on a sunny sunday blast.
    And that, great work

25. The following user liked this post made by GiantPygmy:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission