TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New Project Bike Thread

Liked 56 in 37 posts

Default Re: New Project Bike Thread

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Nice job
    Thanks for the updates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. The following user liked this post made by birdface:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 154 in 25 posts

Thanks everyone for the feedback on this, its really appreciated!

More progress made over the course of the weekend In between a Fitness 'Bootcamp' which nearly bloody killed me, the boys 12th Birthday party and the Superbikes - Somehow managed to fit a fair bit of work in too.

First on the list was the cooling system, Radiator was repainted in the summer but spent some time yesterday straightening out some of the bent fins and getting it ready for refitting. Once in place, the new hoses were lined up, trimmed down and refitted with new stainless hose clamps and once the expansion tank was piped back in, we were ready to refill and bleed up:

Yes - I know the hoses are awful.... But they match the shock, innit?

Unfortunately during the filling and bleeding of the system it has become apparent that there is a leak on both of the Cylinder bleed bolts. These were replaced during the engine rebuild so I had taken it for granted that these were nothing to even bother checking:

I checked the torque on the bolts which were fine so they had not been left slack, and I nipped the top Cylinder a bit which seemed to curtail the leak there which was good news but the from cylinder still leaked. I tried to back the bolt off to clean the mating surfaces and then re-tighten but the drip continued. I need to drain the whole system again, inspect everything properly and then refit with new crush washers but for now its left as is with a clean pan underneath it to catch the coolant so that I can reuse it.... Waiting on some new washers now which will be a week or so. Frustrating, but one of those things I guess. Whilst writing this, I've been reliably informed that they should have been removed whilst I was filling the system, and that they ideally need some thread seal on them when refitting, so will do this when refitting to be on the safe side.

After filling the Gearbox oil up, The next job was the 2T Oil system. Last week I refilled the tank and left the oil pump fixed open to let gravity do its thing and naturally prime the oil feed lines to the cylinders, Which on checking this weekend, happily seemed to work a treat! I have left the feed lines disconnected as when I have the engine running for the first time I want to ensure that the pump is functioning properly and that the oil is being pumped out of the lines satisfactorily. To do this I will run the first batch of fuel on premix and then revert to the pump once I am happy the system is working as it should.

I took this opportunity to do the adjustments on the throttle and oil pump cables, setting the alignment and free play and all seems to be where it should be but this will all be checked once again before the first attempt at starting the thing.

Next Job.... Exhausts.....

Spent the majority of today Cleaning and then doing some loose preparation on the paint.... Lots more required however but this will wait until I have received the bottles of oven cleaner I have on order so that I can De-Coke the Exhaust. I looked at a couple of options on how to do this - Back in the day I used Caustic Soda (I think?) But the oven cleaner will do the same job I hope and can go down the drain when finished with:

Last job of the weekend was to take another look over the wiring, check for any problems or errors and put some power to the system and see how things are looking. Although currently an absolute mess to look at, everything is looking in order (So far!) and all the lights that need to light up this point.. Are lighting up. The Lighting and Ancillary circuits all seem ok, but need to check the ignition circuits over again before trying for a start up. As a person with seriously limited auto-electrical knowledge I am going to check, check and triple check everything.

Happy with the progress this weekend, Will be glad to get this coolant leak sorted next week however... That has annoyed me as I should have checked before getting stuck into it but every days a school day eh?

Hope you all have a good week!

4. The following 8 users liked this useful post by mikeycee:

Really Bored
    Liked 910 in 580 posts

Great stuff. Especially the wife angering!

6. The following user liked this post made by MsignorMartinez:

At Work
    Liked 852 in 308 posts

Get some Dowty washers for your leak https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M8-Metric...oAAOxyuOtRZl3h

8. The following user liked this post made by khd:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 154 in 25 posts

Quote Originally Posted by khd View Post
    Get some Dowty washers for your leak https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M8-Metric...oAAOxyuOtRZl3h
    Thanks for the steer, I've put a temporary fix in using PTFE for now to stop the leak from going any further but Ill get some of those in for fitting before we are ready to run!

Liked 2,294 in 1,044 posts

I've never seen Dowty washers used next to hot engine components (I have them on my fuel taps on the Bonnie), will the nitrile rubber withstand the heat? If it were me I'd replace with new crush washers

At Work
    Liked 852 in 308 posts

Nitrile is supposed to be good up to 120degrees C

12. The following user liked this post made by khd:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 154 in 25 posts

Quote Originally Posted by nidge View Post
    I've never seen Dowty washers used next to hot engine components (I have them on my fuel taps on the Bonnie), will the nitrile rubber withstand the heat? If it were me I'd replace with new crush washers
    Quote Originally Posted by khd View Post
    Nitrile is supposed to be good up to 120degrees C
    Found this on the Internets:

14. The following user liked this post made by mikeycee:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 154 in 25 posts

Quick update from the last few days

Exhausts are in a pretty poor state unfortunately, with a lot of preparation work required before an undercoat can even really go on. Its taken hours of work but they are finally in a position where paint can be added. Before that however it was a case of De-Coking the pipes, so I have one in soaking over the course of today whilst I have undercoated the other.

My Trusty 2T Exhaust Renovation kit

The oven cleaner seems to be doing a good job so far, and has pulled a decent amount of crap out of the pipe, so will be interested to see the final results when I get back today and flush it out.

The Silencers are in a pretty bad way unfortunately, I will be looking at the potential to remove the rust patches with possibly white vinegar or similar and a gentle scrubbing pad and see how that works. I've tried a little test patch using some vinegar from the kitchen and it actually worked really well..... So Ill give it a proper go once I've finished with the pipes.

If anyone has any better suggestions on this however, it would be very much appreciated!

Whilst I was waiting for Paint to dry, and acid to clean etc I took a closer look at some of the bodywork, and although looking its years - with the exception of the front section, all of the panels are in very good condition with no major cracks, gouges or scratches at all. Will be leaving all of the bodywork as it is for the time being. The paintwork will be a job for once we are up and running, Registered and MOT'd Etc.

Rear light assembly has been cleaned up and support bracket will be prepped and painted as it looks horrible - Interesting LED Set up in there however, I'm intrigued to see how these perform....

Thanks for reading, hope you all have a good day ahead!

16. The following 9 users liked this useful post by mikeycee:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission