TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Project Bike Thread

A Bit Bored
    Liked 112 in 19 posts

Default Re: New Project Bike Thread

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Evening All!

Back on the case with this one now following working abroad for a little while.... And then a very inconvenient case of a perforated intestine and a fast onset of Sepsis which nearly put an end to the whole bloody thing

A few weeks recovery now, and after being laid up and thanking my lucky stars about 20,000 Times I am now strong enough to be back at work and back on the case with this RGV.

Sub Frame now all sorted, all of the mounting Nuts and Bolts have been cleaned up and recoated so all in almost 'As new' condition which is great. The Chassis is pretty much ready for rebuild now which I am really excited about, I am just waiting for 2 New front discs to come back into stock at EBC and then I will get moving on it.... I cant wait to see it back on its wheels!

Managed to pick up a bit of a bargain on my travels today in the form of an original OEM Front Cowl/Nose Cone:

The one that was on my bike when it came in from Japan was cracked and had a section missing on the screen mount. I have been trawling for some time and I have seen some awful ones going for nearly 200 and new Chinese ones going for 150... But I managed to pick this up for 80 and to be honest, aside from a scuff on the decal and a scratched screen it is mint... Happy Days!

Will be stripping the decals in due course along with the rest of the plastics ready for paint... But next step will be the rolling chassis.

Hopefully more progress soon!

2. The following 13 users liked this useful post by mikeycee:

+ Show/Hide list of likes

Liked 2,533 in 1,224 posts
    Blog Entries

Glad you're better .i lost a good friend to sepsis two years ago .

Liked 1,688 in 1,000 posts

Glad you have made a good recovery. Your work is amazing. Loving the thread!

A Bit Bored
    Liked 112 in 19 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrTack View Post
    Glad you're better .i lost a good friend to sepsis two years ago .
    Thankyou Sir! It all happened so quickly.... The Surgeons commented on my blood results that if I had left it another 2 or so Hours maybe before going to hospital it could have been too late.... It was moving fast. I just thought it was a tummy bug with a bit of cramp and a temperature. I had no idea how serious things were until the guys came in with that scary 'Serious' look on their faces, That said by the time the diagnosis was confirmed following Xrays, about 20 blood tests and CT Scans I had gone down hill quickly and I was a bit of a state..

Certainly made me appreciate things now I have been given a second chance.... Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Glad you have made a good recovery. Your work is amazing. Loving the thread!
    Thanks Claude! Will be updating as soon as I have some more decent stuff to add

6. The following 2 users liked this useful post by mikeycee:

Liked 2,533 in 1,224 posts
    Blog Entries

My god you were very fortunate .scary stuff like that tends to put a lot into perspective.
    carry on with your build it's really nice and you are doing it with care.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 112 in 19 posts

Evening All!

Hope you are all having a good week

Managed to get some good time on this across the weekend, and I actually have the thing back on its wheels - At last!

First job was to fully reassemble the steering stem and to refit the forks.... Not forgetting to pop the Clip-ons into place prior to locking the forks into the Yokes - Only a complete idiot would do something like that wouldn't they?

Next up was to get the bike off of the table and onto its wheels again, Which took a little bit of doing as I was on my own but after a bit of mucking about I had the chassis up on stands and was able to get the wheels fitted.

So wheels in place and I have a rolling chassis with New Brake Discs all round, New Sprocket in preparation for further down the line and all front end switchgear, throttle assembly, Brake/Clutch Etc in place:

Note where I scuffed the paint on the fork Bottom.... Hopefully this will touch up, but failing that it will be resprayed - There was plenty of swearing when I saw that

Original Shock back in place just for supporting purposes whilst I gain some funds for a replacement - Rear Subframe will be able to go on one this is complete

So next on the agenda now I have a bench free to work on again is a cursory look over the engine before this goes off to TTW for a proper inspection and an action plan to be put together to get it running back at its peak. I am not looking for out an out performance from this Engine, I'm after a stable level of tune more for reliability than peak power. It was a 'Runner' of sorts prior to me picking the bike up, But I didn't want to even fire the thing up until its been checked over properly. One thing I do know is that the oil pump is leaking, but other than that I dont know anything further at this point... Time will tell!

Whilst the engine is in for a fettling, Ill have the replacement shock in and the subframe back in and I can get to work refitting some of the bits like the SAPC Unit, the Oil Tank and the CDI Etc and the absolute bomb site of a wiring loom that is on it at present.... The one bit I am not looking forward to on this build!

Have taken the decision to do a few less Trackdays this year in order to be able to put some more funds and time in to this build as I really want to have it at least back in a ride worthy condition by the late summer if possible - The paint can wait, I just want to get it running again and in a position where I can run it in. So, Aside from a few pre-booked days and a (Probably rainy) trip over to the NW200, Hopefully I will be able to get some decent updates back on here soon!

Thanks for reading as always, and will update as soon as I get a look at the engine!

Have a good week!!

9. The following 6 users liked this useful post by mikeycee:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 112 in 19 posts

So.. Time to take a look at this engine then.

To be honest, this is new ground for me as I have very little experience with 2-Strokes. When I was younger, Although I got through a DT50, a TZR125, and 2 x RGV250's it was not until I had a CR250 that I even needed to change a piston for the first time... So my actual knowledge is pretty limited, especially when people start to talk Power-Valves, Reed Blocks and such like!

So into the unknown and looking forward to learning a bit hopefully....

First job was to clean the thing up and then take a quick look at the key areas to get an idea of the condition and any possible work that may need to be done. The engine was about an inch thick with crap and took some cleaning up to get it into a reasonable external condition prior to removing anything and all the crap falling into the Cylinders and Gearbox.

Plug condition suggests that it was not running too badly when it was last firing, but hard to use this as a guide as it has been so long since it last started - Perhaps a little lean possibly?

As far as the cylinders go, the back one was fine with no issues at all - However the front cylinder seems to look like it has been picking up a bit on the exhaust port bridge and has dragged all the way up on the stroke (Hard to see as I could not get a decent pic):

Power-Valve assemblies were very sticky in movement and covered in crap, but importantly all in one piece:

Piston Rings all in there full form which was good, and also bottom end bearings on each side were in good condition and look to have been recently (Mile-Wise) replaced. Reed-Valves were removed and the blocks, Cleaned and refitted along with the Air-Solenoid intakes etc.

Couple of areas of concern (Aside from exhaust port on the front Cylinder):

This looks like a massive crack in the crankcase, on the clutch side. Its not leaking anything and shows no sign that it has leaked in the past and I am unsure weather it is a huge crack, or if its just an imperfection in the casting. You can see where the crankcase meets with the clutch cover, there is some horizontal scuffing inline with this suspected crack - I dont know if its been dropped possibly or twatted by some heavy handed monkey but I am a little worried about this and will be awaiting an expert opinion when it has the once over at TTW.

And there is this.....

There seems to be a fair amount of corrosion on the crank shaft assembly, I can see it is being lubricated well whilst tuning the engine by hand but not sure if this will need rebuilding or even replacing if things are bad in there. Time will tell I guess once I have a report back from the professionals. I can then plan what I can do to move things forward.

Best case Scenario - New Pistons & Rings, Replating of 1 or 2 Cylinders & Possibly new PV Assemblies

Worst Case - As above but with a new LH Crankcase & Crankshaft

I think the Crankcase may just be me worrying a little too much, and hopefully the Crankshaft is fine... We will see!

Ill be looking to get the engine up to Sleaford hopefully in the next couple of weeks and whilst that is going on I will take a look at the Carbs, clean and rebuild and check everything is set as it should be ready for the engine when it returns. Once the Carbs are as they should be hopefully I will be in a position to have the new rear shock in place and the subframe back on so I can start on the wiring and the pipework routing ready for the engines return.

Wish me luck, and enjoy the rest of your weekend!
    Last edited by mikeycee; 23-03-19 at 21:28.

11. The following 4 users liked this useful post by mikeycee:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 112 in 19 posts

Afternoon!

Hope you are all well and enjoying the (Bit of) Summer we have had so far?

As usual - Apologies for the slow updates on this thread, Life has once again completely got in the way of this build but I have managed to put in some good time to it and we have made some more progress which is good!

So, Engine is on its way to the 2-Stoke master at TTW This week all being well and I can hopefully get a favourable report back on all of my above worries. I have had a couple of people take a look at the possible crack on the case and they have all said it looks to be a casting defect, but we will have to see how things go on that front once it has been looked at properly. So all being well nothing too serious and the works required are not too extensive.

Next Up - Carbs

As with the SAPC Unit, these carbs are taken from an Aprillia RS250 to provide full power (All of the Japanese Models were restricted to 45ish (I Think!) BHP. I was expecting the internals to be a bit of a varnished mess as the bike has likely been sitting around for months, If not longer before even being packed up ready for shipping, but I was pleasantly surprised with what I found:

As a matter of course, I have replaced the O-Rings and also the strainer filter on the fuel intake, but other than that, both carbs were in pristine condition.... I'll take that!

After being a gigantic Ass-Hat and rushing to get the frame back on its wheels, Scratching all of my paintwork on the fork lowers in the process - I started them again from the metal up and got them back to a state I was happy with.... That will teach me for rushing!

So the Chassis is now going back together, had a really good few hours on it over the last two weeks and I am really happy that it is at last starting to resemble a bike again! I have a replacement Shock on order that is due for delivery at the end of the Month, and once in place the chassis will be almost complete and ready for the engine refit:

(Excuse the abundance of cable ties.... Its temporary, Honest!)

I still need to get Brake Pads and Hoses and get them all primed and working, but I will be leaving that until everything else is in position and ready to go.

Hope this remains of interest to some people..... Still hoping to get her back on the road and running this year with the old bodywork just so I can shake it down and perhaps the paint can be done over the winter.

Wish me luck!

13. The following 12 users liked this useful post by mikeycee:

+ Show/Hide list of likes

Liked 1,380 in 657 posts

Great thread. Hurry up!

Liked 2,147 in 980 posts

Loving this thread and your attention to detail

Liked 1,804 in 1,109 posts

Great progress and the slow steady approach is paying off.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 112 in 19 posts

Quote Originally Posted by fingerpuk View Post
    Great thread. Hurry up!
    Hahahaha! I am going as fast as my slow, easily distracted mind will allow

Quote Originally Posted by nidge View Post
    Loving this thread and your attention to detail
    Quote Originally Posted by Makman View Post
    Great progress and the slow steady approach is paying off.
    Thanks so much for the feedback and the likes - I appreciate it and glad your getting as much enjoyment from reading it as I am doing it and writing about it

A Bit Bored
    Liked 112 in 19 posts

Whilst the engine is awaiting inspection and the new Shock is still in manufacturing at Hyperpro, I have been continuing today with cleaning up the wiring, making any dodgy looking connections good, making sure the cable routing is the best it can be and inspecting and cleaning up the power valve servo and the assembly where all of the many, Many.. MANY Cables come together to make the system work.

All looks to be fine, but this will need fully testing once the Engine is back in place before I attempt to run it.

Really good to see it back in the daylight after 18 Months or so, was surprising some of the crappy bits I had missed with it being in a dingy, poorly lit garage.

Looking at another 2 Weeks for the shock to be delivered, and once in place and the rolling chassis is complete I will then be on hold (Mainly due to funds) whilst the engine has done what needs to be done.

Then it should be all systems go with the re-fit, and re-assembly of the (Hopefully!) Running machine. Then it will just be a case of getting the brakes back in operation and we should have something that can be run in!

In the meantime, The BMW has also been readied for Snetterton next week - Lets be hoping for some sun!

I did do a time lapse of the BMW changing from its road dress to its Trackday clobber but it wont embed on here unfortunately (Or maybe fortunately, as you wont be seeing my ugly mug!), but if you do want to see its over on my Flickr page - Just click a photo to get there

Thanks, and enjoy your weekend!

19. The following 6 users liked this useful post by mikeycee:

Liked 10,229 in 5,864 posts

That's still exceptionally good work

21. The following user liked this post made by Weeksy:

Liked 1,775 in 1,161 posts

Great work

23. The following user liked this post made by Supermofo:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum