TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Project Bike Thread

A Bit Bored
    Liked 180 in 28 posts

Default New Project Bike Thread

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Hi All!

Long time since I have posted on here but have recently taken delivery of a new project bike and just wanted to share

A Long, Long time ago..... When I was almost exactly 20 Years younger and a good 4 Stone lighter , I owned a Suzuki RGV250N VJ22. I classed it as my first 'Proper Bike' and literally rode it every single possible opportunity I could get.

Unfortunately, I had it for about 6 Months and smashed it up much to my despair. I sold what was salvageable and used the insurance payout to buy another one however which was great! A year passed, and I then had the standard urge for more power.... So the appeal of the little smoker began to wain a bit and I set my eyes on a 600 SRAD.

I sold the little RGV for a pittance as I was an impatient bastard and plunged everything into a SRAD and the rest was history.

Since I got rid of the second RGV, Ive had the 600 SRAD, 2 Fireblades, a GSXR750, an R6 and now a S1000RR which I use on the track - But I have always wanted another RGV, in Pristine condition just like the one I had 20 Years ago *Puts rose tinted glasses on*

So - Much to the missus's ABSOLUTE Rage.... I took the plunge on a Japanese Import:

RGV250N - But with some odd colour scheme matching as the wheel colour is definitely incorrect for the fairing scheme so there has been some history there I am sure.

36,000km on the clock, reasonable condition across the board and is an Ex-Japanese 40Bhp Bike that has been derestricted by means of exhaust modification, bypassing of the Rev Limiter and Aprillia RS250 Carburettors and SAPC Unit to bring it back up to 60(Ish) BHP.

So I have now stripped down and have started what will no doubt be a long, and VERY Expensive build..... Its going to take some time, purely from a financial point of view but really looking forward to getting into it and bringing it back to how it should be.

First port of call is cleaning and inspection of the main parts and the chassis rebuild - Then Engine, Bodywork etc.

Frame is all good which is good news, but the first real issue I have come across is some denting on the Swing arm caused by the bike going over at some point and the silencers hitting it. This is a common issue with these, but need to look at my options.

Need to see if there is a way of repair, as I know that a decent condition replacement will be very hard to track down indeed.

Whilst I am mulling over options for this, I am working on the braking system - To say it is shagged is an understatement, the rear didn't work at all and draining the system resulted in a bottle of crap that looked like it had been collected from the bottom of a ditch. Ill be painting the calipers up also prior to rebuilding so that will keep me occupied for a few weeks at least whilst I have a think about the swing arm - Suggestions welcome!

I would hope to keep up with this thread as I would like to document the build - But my commitment to this type of thing is notoriously awful.... But I want to try so all being well I will be able to put some updates on here if anyone is interested.

Thanks!

2. The following 19 users liked this useful post by mikeycee:

+ Show/Hide list of likes

Should Get Out More
    Liked 4,267 in 2,455 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New Project Bike Thread

Excellent, another dodgy 2T

Liked 5,713 in 3,039 posts
    Blog Entries

Lovely bike. What else have you got planned for it?

At Work
    Liked 864 in 310 posts

I would get billet power valves before the triple clamps, otherwise you will
    always worry about the valves dropping into a cylinder and wrecking all your good work.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 180 in 28 posts

Quote Originally Posted by khd View Post
    I would get billet power valves before the triple clamps, otherwise you will
    always worry about the valves dropping into a cylinder and wrecking all your good work.
    Wise words sir!

The engine is going up to the Tuning Works for an inspection at some point and its on my list to get some advise on the power valves as I know there are all sorts of things to consider on these to avoid the horror stories you have mentioned

Liked 7,650 in 4,340 posts

You could always fill the teeny dent in the swingarm and then paint the whole thing black... depends how 'stock you want it to look.

8. The following user liked this post made by KungFooBob:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 180 in 28 posts

Sorry deleted my original reply by accident....

Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    Excellent, another dodgy 2T
    I have no doubt it will go pop in the first 50 miles haha

Quote Originally Posted by GiantPygmy View Post
    Lovely bike. What else have you got planned for it?
    Thanks!!!

Keeping stock as far as possible with the exception of some braking modifications, uprated pistons and as KHD wisely stated the powervalves also.

Tyga triple clamp set is also a must

A Bit Bored
    Liked 180 in 28 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    You could always fill the teeny dent in the swingarm and then paint the whole thing black... depends how 'stock you want it to look.
    Good shout there Bob, if all else fails this may be an option. However, if the swing arm goes black, the frame will have to go black too... May be a little to far from stock for me....

Should Get Out More
    Liked 4,267 in 2,455 posts
    Blog Entries

One of mine has managed more than 50 miles since I bought it, the other is waiting for a fuel tap.

At Work
    Liked 480 in 281 posts

Only way that dent is coming out is by
    welding something on it for a slide hammer
    or drilling a hole in it for a slide hammer

Either way it's going to need refinishing, so might as well fill it and paint it,
    you can do the other little bit at the front of it at the same time and blend
    in any other deep scratches you find.

There are some realistic looking aluminium paints now

Liked 6,143 in 3,177 posts

I suppose it all depends upon your intentions with it.
    A lot of people buy these bikes, spend fortunes restoring them and then after 3/4/5yrs become bored and don't get on with the riding position and the nature of a two-stroke screamer, then they realise it was rose tinted specs and sell them on, for about half what they spent.

So you really have two choices...

If it's a lifetime keeper (or a very long term keeper until old age means you can't force yourself into the riding position) then I'd throw everything at it, sell the swingarm and buy a dent free replacement, anything else would just annoy me. You could paint it, or bugger about with it, but in my mind I would always know it's there and not original, so if I intended to keep it forever and restore it properly then I'd buy a replacement. I'd make the finished bike look as standard as possible but I'd upgrade bits where it didn't make it a tarts handbag, maybe fork internals, new rear shock, etc.

Otherwise I'd sympathetically refresh it and ride it, it might not be absolutely blemish free but I'd make sure it was mechanically very well sorted and then enjoy it.

Like I said, it all depends where you think you'll be with it in 5yrs time. The RGV is popular in some circles but I doubt it will ever have a cult following or increase in value like an RD350LC, so if budget/resale is any sort of a consideration then it might not be wise to throw bundles of cash at it to make it concourse. A decent, mechanically sound and reasonably tidy looking RGV will always sell for sensible money, so if you spend wisely you should have something that won't have drained your bank account and you could get most of it back should you want to.

Of course, if you don't care about the money, then just go mental, put a 300cc kit on it, tune it and put the full Tyga kit on - that's what we all would have done back in the day if we'd had deep pockets - it's only us old men that want them standard and looking like new.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 180 in 28 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
    Only way that dent is coming out is by
    welding something on it for a slide hammer
    or drilling a hole in it for a slide hammer

Either way it's going to need refinishing, so might as well fill it and paint it,
    you can do the other little bit at the front of it at the same time and blend
    in any other deep scratches you find.

There are some realistic looking aluminium paints now
    I was looking at the potential for the 'Glue Gun' type Dent repairing kits for the large dent at the top - But not sure how man enough those sort of kits are. And I know that type of kit would have no chance with the ones at the front so a proper repair and/or Fill and refinish would be the only way to go if I am looking to repair other than replace. Will take a look at the paint options as well

Quote Originally Posted by icarus1859 View Post
    I suppose it all depends upon your intentions with it.
    A lot of people buy these bikes, spend fortunes restoring them and then after 3/4/5yrs become bored and don't get on with the riding position and the nature of a two-stroke screamer, then they realise it was rose tinted specs and sell them on, for about half what they spent.

So you really have two choices...
    This is very true.

My budget is limited.... I can save for various bits and bobs which I intend to do - But I dont want it running into years as I do want to get out and ride it whilst I'm still in my thirties and not be scared of taking it out for fear of dropping it.

As mentioned I want it to look standard, with uprated components to improve the build and quality of the bike without excess bling. So improved engine top end internals for the sake of reliability, Brakes and Suspension for improved ride quality will be the main expenses.

Oh... And that Tyga triple clamp set

Liked 1,891 in 1,241 posts

Love that model RGV. My Bro had a KR1S and then an early model RGV, I had a TZR 250 and a mate had your model RGV in Lucky Strike colours. I love 2 strokes but missed the boat price wise for a cheap 2nd bike. Defo keep posting updates

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,716 in 2,272 posts

Either leave the swingarm as it is or buy a replacement, straightening that tiny dent will only weaken the swingarm and you'll never be happy with the repair so why waste money doing it?

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

At Work
    Liked 864 in 310 posts

The 'banana' side of those swing arm's are quite thin pressed alloy so you may
    be able to pull that out with a few attempts with a glue stick.
    I do not think it will weaken the arm.

Is the lower yoke on the import alloy or the heavy cast lump.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission