TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New Project Bike Thread

Liked 56 in 37 posts

Default Re: New Project Bike Thread

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Nice job
    Thanks for the updates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. The following user liked this post made by birdface:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 180 in 28 posts

Thanks everyone for the feedback on this, its really appreciated!

More progress made over the course of the weekend In between a Fitness 'Bootcamp' which nearly bloody killed me, the boys 12th Birthday party and the Superbikes - Somehow managed to fit a fair bit of work in too.

First on the list was the cooling system, Radiator was repainted in the summer but spent some time yesterday straightening out some of the bent fins and getting it ready for refitting. Once in place, the new hoses were lined up, trimmed down and refitted with new stainless hose clamps and once the expansion tank was piped back in, we were ready to refill and bleed up:

Yes - I know the hoses are awful.... But they match the shock, innit?

Unfortunately during the filling and bleeding of the system it has become apparent that there is a leak on both of the Cylinder bleed bolts. These were replaced during the engine rebuild so I had taken it for granted that these were nothing to even bother checking:

I checked the torque on the bolts which were fine so they had not been left slack, and I nipped the top Cylinder a bit which seemed to curtail the leak there which was good news but the from cylinder still leaked. I tried to back the bolt off to clean the mating surfaces and then re-tighten but the drip continued. I need to drain the whole system again, inspect everything properly and then refit with new crush washers but for now its left as is with a clean pan underneath it to catch the coolant so that I can reuse it.... Waiting on some new washers now which will be a week or so. Frustrating, but one of those things I guess. Whilst writing this, I've been reliably informed that they should have been removed whilst I was filling the system, and that they ideally need some thread seal on them when refitting, so will do this when refitting to be on the safe side.

After filling the Gearbox oil up, The next job was the 2T Oil system. Last week I refilled the tank and left the oil pump fixed open to let gravity do its thing and naturally prime the oil feed lines to the cylinders, Which on checking this weekend, happily seemed to work a treat! I have left the feed lines disconnected as when I have the engine running for the first time I want to ensure that the pump is functioning properly and that the oil is being pumped out of the lines satisfactorily. To do this I will run the first batch of fuel on premix and then revert to the pump once I am happy the system is working as it should.

I took this opportunity to do the adjustments on the throttle and oil pump cables, setting the alignment and free play and all seems to be where it should be but this will all be checked once again before the first attempt at starting the thing.

Next Job.... Exhausts.....

Spent the majority of today Cleaning and then doing some loose preparation on the paint.... Lots more required however but this will wait until I have received the bottles of oven cleaner I have on order so that I can De-Coke the Exhaust. I looked at a couple of options on how to do this - Back in the day I used Caustic Soda (I think?) But the oven cleaner will do the same job I hope and can go down the drain when finished with:

Last job of the weekend was to take another look over the wiring, check for any problems or errors and put some power to the system and see how things are looking. Although currently an absolute mess to look at, everything is looking in order (So far!) and all the lights that need to light up this point.. Are lighting up. The Lighting and Ancillary circuits all seem ok, but need to check the ignition circuits over again before trying for a start up. As a person with seriously limited auto-electrical knowledge I am going to check, check and triple check everything.

Happy with the progress this weekend, Will be glad to get this coolant leak sorted next week however... That has annoyed me as I should have checked before getting stuck into it but every days a school day eh?

Hope you all have a good week!

4. The following 9 users liked this useful post by mikeycee:

Really Bored
    Liked 910 in 580 posts

Great stuff. Especially the wife angering!

6. The following user liked this post made by MsignorMartinez:

At Work
    Liked 864 in 310 posts

Get some Dowty washers for your leak https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M8-Metric...oAAOxyuOtRZl3h

8. The following user liked this post made by khd:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 180 in 28 posts

Quote Originally Posted by khd View Post
    Get some Dowty washers for your leak https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M8-Metric...oAAOxyuOtRZl3h
    Thanks for the steer, I've put a temporary fix in using PTFE for now to stop the leak from going any further but Ill get some of those in for fitting before we are ready to run!

Liked 2,322 in 1,052 posts

I've never seen Dowty washers used next to hot engine components (I have them on my fuel taps on the Bonnie), will the nitrile rubber withstand the heat? If it were me I'd replace with new crush washers

At Work
    Liked 864 in 310 posts

Nitrile is supposed to be good up to 120degrees C

12. The following user liked this post made by khd:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 180 in 28 posts

Quote Originally Posted by nidge View Post
    I've never seen Dowty washers used next to hot engine components (I have them on my fuel taps on the Bonnie), will the nitrile rubber withstand the heat? If it were me I'd replace with new crush washers
    Quote Originally Posted by khd View Post
    Nitrile is supposed to be good up to 120degrees C
    Found this on the Internets:

14. The following user liked this post made by mikeycee:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 180 in 28 posts

Quick update from the last few days

Exhausts are in a pretty poor state unfortunately, with a lot of preparation work required before an undercoat can even really go on. Its taken hours of work but they are finally in a position where paint can be added. Before that however it was a case of De-Coking the pipes, so I have one in soaking over the course of today whilst I have undercoated the other.

My Trusty 2T Exhaust Renovation kit

The oven cleaner seems to be doing a good job so far, and has pulled a decent amount of crap out of the pipe, so will be interested to see the final results when I get back today and flush it out.

The Silencers are in a pretty bad way unfortunately, I will be looking at the potential to remove the rust patches with possibly white vinegar or similar and a gentle scrubbing pad and see how that works. I've tried a little test patch using some vinegar from the kitchen and it actually worked really well..... So Ill give it a proper go once I've finished with the pipes.

If anyone has any better suggestions on this however, it would be very much appreciated!

Whilst I was waiting for Paint to dry, and acid to clean etc I took a closer look at some of the bodywork, and although looking its years - with the exception of the front section, all of the panels are in very good condition with no major cracks, gouges or scratches at all. Will be leaving all of the bodywork as it is for the time being. The paintwork will be a job for once we are up and running, Registered and MOT'd Etc.

Rear light assembly has been cleaned up and support bracket will be prepped and painted as it looks horrible - Interesting LED Set up in there however, I'm intrigued to see how these perform....

Thanks for reading, hope you all have a good day ahead!

16. The following 10 users liked this useful post by mikeycee:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 180 in 28 posts

Evening All!

Had a relatively free weekend without too much to do, Which is long overdue to managed to get some decent time to get a bit further down the line and closer to a run test. Turned out to be a problem filled weekend, but thankfully with results to eliminate them too I am happy to say!

Exhausts are now fully De-Coked, Painted and VHT Lacquered ready for refit. They are by no means perfect, but they are about the best I am going to get them now, so they will have to do.... I've inspected the Exhaust gaskets and I think that they will be fine for refit so will run with them and see how we get on.

On a check over the 2T Lube system, 3 of the 4 Lines had primed themselves nicely however the last one seemed to be struggling a bit. I gave it a bit of extra time as this line was twice the length of the rest so may have taken a while longer but yesterday I bit the bullet and had to face the fact that something was not quite right. Time to investigate!

First job was to remove the feed line in question to see if it had primed at all - On inspection it was completely empty aside from some old oil from its previous supply, but only a spits worth however. Looking back a bit further back, it appears that the output on the oil pump was blocked for this feed line. As this pipe is one of the 2 feeds for the cylinder that seized I can only assume this was the cause of the pop before it came to the UK.

Pump has been stripped, cleaned, rebuilt and manually primed whilst on the table and tested for flow to all 4 output ports and is now flowing fine. I am just waiting for a new check valve for the one I removed... I'd like to say it was to ensure there was no block in it but the reality was I snapped the pipe off it as I am a cack-handed bellend

This is the output that was blocked:

This is the port now successfully flowing after the strip and clean (Note valve now missing due to my fat fingers)

So, Just waiting on the replacement valve to arrive and I will refit the pump and let the system gravity prime again over the next week or so.

Did the final check over of the electrical system today - All looked fine, was wired correctly and as far as the ancillary circuits were concerned all was functioning how it should have...... But the ignition circuit however was totally dead. No neutral light, Temp gauge was not functioning and the pump and PV Servo/actuator was not cycling when I tried to manually operate it using test cycle lead on the loom. I went over everything again from front to back, all was absolutely as it should be with good fuses (The loom is an absolute dogs dinner but it should work), and it was still totally dead which got me quite concerned as I started thinking about burned out CDI's and ECU's etc.

Going through things for the third time, I was taking a look under the main fuse block and one of the wires that run into the main loom looked like it was twisted - And I literally pulled it over to take a look and the bastard fell out:

Looks like the terminal had snapped inside the connector block and had been hanging on for dear life for some time - When I got the bike I flicked on the ignition and the headlights etc worked OK, but I guess this connection had been buggered for some time as I know the temp gauge didn't light up back then.

Anyway, for now I have bodged the connection for testing purposes and I am happy (and very relieved!) that we have a fully functioning ignition circuit which is also cycling the PV System successfully:

So now just waiting on the parts for the oil pump - Once that is refitted I will be setting the PV positions and cable free play. Then I will take a look at the carb settings, Refit the Exhausts and then I think we may be close to a position where I can see if the thing will actually start!

Wish me luck, and have a good week!

18. The following 10 users liked this useful post by mikeycee:

Liked 1,889 in 1,240 posts

Good work. When you start it remember to get a video. 2 strokes need to be heard! I just wish the smell could be captured too.

20. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Supermofo:

Liked 1,554 in 900 posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikeycee View Post

Thanks for reading as always, Any advice and opinion is welcomed if you have any.......... Just don't get on my back about the state of the motor please! Haha
    Just ignore the naysayers* - the work looks great and you should be proud!

* In the classic world it's not unknown at all for gloriously shiny 'restorations' to be totally without engine internals. Often they get ferried from show to show garnering prizes, but never turning a wheel. It can be fun asking the owner to fire them up and listen to all the excuses...

Similarly, you get a lot of 'know-it-alls' who will lambast the crowds around a bike, showing off their 'knowledge' of some obscure bike. I've heard of this happen when the guy turned to the bike's owner and said "This is yours?, that's wrong, this is wrong, that's off the following year's model.... etc etc', only for the owner to pipe up and say "Well - that's how it was when I bought it off the showroom floor, and I've changed nothing.'.

22. The following 3 users liked this useful post by RiceBurner:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 180 in 28 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Supermofo View Post
    Good work. When you start it remember to get a video. 2 strokes need to be heard! I just wish the smell could be captured too.
    100% Thats the plan! Ill get a nice video once it zinging nicely You will just have to imagine the whiff of Comp2 in the air

Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    Just ignore the naysayers* - the work looks great and you should be proud!
    Definitely, Thanks for the wise words - I have been quite surprise at the levels of snobbery and One-Upmanship that goes on!

Just a quick photo, I now have the PV's Set and the Exhausts fitted. Took a little while to set the PV's, as they needed to settle a little bit so set them and cycled them 4 or 5 times, then rechecked etc. Right Cylinder was a walk in the park - But the left cylinder was an absolute shit.

Important to note that the free play on the cables is different on each cylinder also which is something I could have easily missed. As I'd not done this before I did a fair bit of research and found a really good guide on the net which was a massive help as the workshop manual was really not very clear at all on outlining the parameters of the set up, Some of the diagrams on there are appalling too.

Exhausts went on, Top pipe didn't want to line up to begin with but once I had everything tightened properly from the cylinders backwards it all pulled into line thankfully.

Have a small issue now in that the check valve on the Oil pump I wrecked is no longer available, however I have managed to find an old RS250 Pump (Same Unit) on Ebay for 20.00 posted that I can use as a parts donor.

Also ordered a service kit for the fuel tap, so once the oil pump is back together and the lines are properly primed I can get the throttle, choke and oil pump cables set and get the tank back on and a little bit of pre-mix in and make sure its not leaking.

Excuse the crap picture....

24. The following 4 users liked this useful post by mikeycee:

Liked 1,889 in 1,240 posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikeycee View Post
    You will just have to imagine the whiff of Comp2 in the air
    Last week a kid went over Harrow on the Hill on a 2 stroke scooter at full chat. I actually spent the next 30 secs taking as many deep sniffs as I could to get the goodness. Just hope no one else noticed as I must have looked a bit special.

26. The following 4 users liked this useful post by Supermofo:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 180 in 28 posts

Evening All,

Hope things are good!

Mega progress this weekend, Things have been moving at quite a pace and didn't really want to lose momentum so after attending the first of 4 Xmas do's I am going to this year, I fought through a slightly sore head and holed myself up in the relatively mild atmosphere in the garage for the afternoon

My donor Oil pump arrived earlier this week so I was able to remove the check valve I knackered up last time out. I swapped the parts across and refitted the pump and lines on Wednesday and allowed the rest of the week for the feed lines to prime up again ready for attachment to the engine, Happy to say that all 4 lines were pretty much full and ready to go when I checked on them today. I took the opportunity to replace the line from the oil tank to the oil pump also whilst I could as I noticed the original was rock hard and was cracking in places.

Donor RS250 Pump on the left:

Pump Refitted with supply line and feed lines reattached:

Although I was happy that there was oil in the system, I still needed to be sure the pump was operating fully so I decided that when the engine was ready for its first run test that I would run it on a pretty rich pre-mix and watch to see how well the pump was working before re-attaching the lines and relying on the injector system.

So a few batches of pre-mix was made up - I only had a 1 Litre Measured container so had to make small loads which was ideal as I didn't need a lot anyway:

I couldn't be bothered with twatting about with Heath Robinson little tanks made out of coke bottles to test the engine so I did the planned service for the tank - Flushed it out, ensured it was clean and all of the breathers & Overflows were clear and rebuilt the tap assembly with new springs, seals and filters.

So reassembled the airbox assembly and refitted (Minus Filter as I dont have one yet), and put the serviced tank back into place. Refitted the fuel line and turned the tap on.... At this point I was half expecting either: A) Fuel to come pissing out of the tap assembly, Or B) Fuel leaking out of the re-assembled Carbs as a result of a stuck float or a badly seated O-Ring but I am pleased to report that neither occurred!

One last check over absolutely everything and all seemed to be how it should be, and it was time to give it a crack...... I was a bit nervous at this point to be honest as I was terrified that I had missed something glaringly obvious - But I had to give it a go at some point so just bit the Bullet and went for it.

This is the second attempt - And just for you Supermofo!

Started on the second kick with some choke first time round - Ran on one cylinder momentarily and then the front one picked up which was a relief! The above was the second start up and was with no choke at all. Really pleased to hear it running for the first time ever, and sounding quite healthy too.

Lots of smoke as I ran this at a silly rich ratio as a safety net.... Left cylinder is putting out a bit more smoke than the right, not sure if this is down to Carb settings etc but I will look into this in more detail soon - Suggestions welcome here...

Next job is to run it up to operating temperature and compare the warm up times of each cylinder to make sure they warm up in sync to rule out any air locks in the cooling system or thermostat issues etc. Will see what happens to the smoke balance too but hopefully nothing to worry about.

Also, after two run tests I had 4 Good size puddles of 2-Stroke oil on the floor indicating that the oil pump is at 100% so ready to refit the lines next time round.

Positive weekend, and looking forward to moving further forward next week as the missus is working all weekend...... So I guess Ill have nothing better to do

Have a good week ahead!

28. The following 7 users liked this useful post by mikeycee:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission