TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Castle Combe, any good?

Liked 117 in 48 posts

Default Castle Combe, any good?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I've been given a voucher to use for activities at Castle Combe as a leaving pressies from my last job.

They do bike track days and it's not too far from Brizzle, I'm tempted to take the bike rather than do a single seater day.

What's the track like for bikes? It looks fast without enough corners to me.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
    Liked 2,237 in 1,479 posts

Default Re: Castle Combe, any good?

Rubbish circuit.

I couldn't get my R850RT to indicate 100 before braking for the end of the start/finish straight . Probably would have helped if I'd taken the panniers off.

Anyway, no help to you, but has kept the thread live

Liked 5,561 in 3,198 posts

Very very strict noise limits. Some bog stock superbikes won't pass noise testing. There's a list of some that won't pass on the track website.

I've raced there twice, it's alright. Being an old airfield circuit means it's pretty flat and the chicanes are a bit of an afterthought.

Liked 1,240 in 793 posts

my first pegs down. knee down and high side. all the same day at combe.

noise is strict as Kfb said

the circuit is ok the chicane on to the start finish is annoying. good fast right dog leg a bit like the pembrey one and a tricky to do well corner at the end of that.

free camping. no garages or power.

worth doing once at least.

they have a list of unlikely to pass the noise test bikes on their website

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Liked 71 in 57 posts

Last two chicanes a pain,last corner and pit straight(ish) is mega,

whilst not on a track day I raced there a few times once I was on front row for the qualifying race ,but nearly everyone behind was quicker,I did not know to either let them passed or go as quick as I could to first corner,I went as quick as I could about half the field caught me by first bend and the lines they were all taking was truly epic and I was laughing inside my lid as well as being scared stiff.

definately worth a go,I think on trackdays they do 10 min sessions with only 6 bikes on each session so one session per hour not sure I would like that

Liked 4,196 in 2,629 posts
    Blog Entries

Stop being a wuss. What's the worst thing that can happen ?

Liked 2,422 in 1,174 posts

Its awesome. If any TDO other than Coombe itself ran the TDs there, I'd love to go more, but I've not liked how they run them in the past, so I don't tend to go

But the track is amazing. Its used for testing by the TT riders, so be ready for bumps. But its very fast, but curly. Interesting! Just be very focused on the two chicanes on the back straight - I always forgot them when I was on the 390, it was amazing how fast I could get the speed down to get through! LOL

Go do it, its great!

The best (but saddest) ride was getting the chance to ride the track when closed. My riding buddy wanted to have a last lap before his ashes were scattered. I got to do a fairly swift (but not fast, I was instructed to take it easy ) lap with the urn on the 390. Pouring rain, soaked to the skin. sad but brilliant!!

9. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Noggin:

Liked 3,745 in 2,047 posts

Did my first TD there (Mrs GP gave me a voucher for my 49th Birthday). As you've been given a voucher, the 139 isn't an issue. Its not the most inspiring circuit in the world but still fun I reckon.
    There's no pit garages but there's a good canteen.
    They generally run 4 smallish groups rather than Novice inters and Fast. don't know if they still do.
    I think bike TDs are every other Wednesday

Enjoy

Liked 7,726 in 4,460 posts

Considered it yesterday instead of Silverstone for Mrs Weeksy. But the 10 minute sessions are a worry... Especially if 6 groups as you're only getting 50% of the tracktime compared to others. It seemed like a decent idea as only 12 riders per group so nice and quiet, but the overall lack of tracktime potentially took it to a No.

Liked 1,147 in 751 posts

Not ridden it but driven it a few times. Epic swoop down from the start finish straight right and then left into Quarry which, as it tightens, always catches out the unwary who've fancied an outbraking move. The rest of it's much of a muchness but that sector has made and broken a few people!

13. The following user liked this post made by Lostboy:

Liked 307 in 179 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    Considered it yesterday instead of Silverstone for Mrs Weeksy. But the 10 minute sessions are a worry... Especially if 6 groups as you're only getting 50% of the tracktime compared to others. It seemed like a decent idea as only 12 riders per group so nice and quiet, but the overall lack of tracktime potentially took it to a No.
    when people start to leave early they backfill the spaces so it's possible to get out a couple of times / hour in the afternoon. The first time I went, there was a one group made up solely of pan europeans, GSs & KTM Adv, they had fun in the morning sessions but decided that they would have more fun on a road ride so off they went. That left one group completely empty.

15. The following user liked this post made by tafflade:

Liked 1,640 in 853 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    Very very strict noise limits. Some bog stock superbikes won't pass noise testing. There's a list of some that won't pass on the track website.

I've raced there twice, it's alright. Being an old airfield circuit means it's pretty flat and the chicanes are a bit of an afterthought.

Fast and bumpy with stupid afterthought chicanes to stop you going too fast through the fast bends, which TBH used to be the best part of it. I used to enjoy it, though the last time I rode there (1990) I highsided a jellymould CBR600, broke my back and brought the red flags out. Happy days

17. The following user liked this post made by Tomcat:

Go Back to Forum My Forum