Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A need/want another laptop

Should Get Out More
    Liked 3,497 in 2,034 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A need/want another laptop

I am back. As said, so far it's only run on live boot Mint, even then it's boots up very quickly. I need to sort a memory stick or two so I can snag W10 off it. I reckon to do one with all the folders and one with just the repair partition.

I like it, does everything I want so far. Also, it's light which is the main thing.

2. The following user liked this post made by cheb:

Liked 1,431 in 1,001 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post

1 I need to sort a memory stick or two so I can snag W10 off it. I reckon to do one with all the folders and one with just the repair partition.

2 I like it, does everything I want so far. Also, it's light which is the main thing.

1 The crucial thing is authenticating the bastard. The easiest & most thorough way is to conform to what microsoft want you to do & make yourself a microsoft account re the sign in onto the machine. Then check your account on the button which lists your devices etc to ensure that it's listed & linked. This means your copy of Win10 is on Microsoft's servers as genuine. In the distant future when you come to stick Win10 back on, when you enter your account details it just all springs back into legitimate life. The ISO itself you can download of MS whenever, so I wouldn't bother about making huge Win10 copies off your machine.

2 GOOD!! That was what I was focusing on!

Should Get Out More
    Blog Entries

I cut to the chase and shoved Mint on after various attempts to save W10. None of which worked and my impatience got the better of me If ever I need to reinstall W10 I've got the key on the back and can download an ISO from the web. If that doesn't work I can bitterly rue the day for the rest of my life

Anyway, Mint boots to the login page in 12 seconds and is fully loaded 3 seconds after that. a bit quicker than the Macbook, that took just over two minutes.

5. The following 2 users liked this useful post by cheb:

Should Get Out More
    Blog Entries

A few weeks in.

1/ It's light, still
    2/ The battery has seen better days, the self discharge rate seems a bit high when it's off but lasts well enough when on and being used.

Liked 1,431 in 1,001 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    A few weeks in.

The battery has seen better days, the self discharge rate seems a bit high when it's off but lasts well enough when on and being used.
    Ah-now thank you very much indeed for mentioning that, because you've just reminded me of a job I meant to do. My own Dell's battery is toast & for this model they're horrifically expensive. So I was going to slice the bugger apart with a dremel type tool & swap out the cells inside myself.

I wonder how the professionals get them apart & then back together again?
    https://www.laptop-battery-shop.com/...e856c070f39a24

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Go Back to Forum My Forum