Thread: Recommend me a Graphics Card

At Work
    Liked 367 in 219 posts

Default Recommend me a Graphics Card

When I built this PC I didn't have enough to get a Graphics Card so I have been using the CPU built in Graphics.
    I dont have a lot of money now for one but wondered if I can get a reasonable one for 150 ?

I mostly want it for games and need two outputs (ideally dvi & vga)

My pc specs
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Liked 1,431 in 1,001 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Recommend me a Graphics Card

smart money is on bitcoin mining taking a hit soon, with the consequence for the likes of us that glut of high end gfx cards appearing on ebay & prices of new ones coming back down to sanity again.

Mind you I'm less than sure that I'd take a punt on no matter how high end the card is at how low a price if it's been overclocked & thrashed 24/7 for a couple of years.

Our PC is nothing like as good as yours but I was lucky enough to be able to pop Geforce Gtx 650Ti 1GB into our A8-6600K system the other day & ran an evaluation programme. It's saying fps 31 & watching the screen on the bit of a game it was using & it's still jerky & a bit stop start animation. Now I didn't want it for gaming-just video & to bump it up from onboard graphics, which it's done wonderfully-I mean it's 20 times better! And I don't know a thing about gaming or details of Gfx cards, but whatever you get is going to have to be a lot better than that. Unless that's how games still look-I wouldn't know.

I'd wait.

3. The following user liked this post made by Editor:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    I'd wait.
    This lot seem to be aware of new stuff due out this year:
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/zot...amazon-2929648

Looks like 3GB isn't enough either.

5. The following user liked this post made by Editor:

At Work
    Liked 367 in 219 posts

Hi Ed

I have been watching the price of Graphic cards on Amazon and the one below was at 235 a few months back but then shot up to near 400 and has dropped down again.
    It's out of my budget though.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...w_c_x_4_w?th=1

This is the 4 gig version but I dont know if there are better cards for a similar price
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...w_c_x_5_w?th=1

Liked 1,817 in 1,121 posts
    Blog Entries

Sorry, but smart money on crypto mining taking a hit any time soon isn't that smart. Just because crypto prices took a hit, doesn't mean it's all over. Prices are recovering a bit now, but that isn't the thing - it's the horrendous electricity use that will kill proof-of-work type scenario the cryto scene currently has and force something different. But you'll be waiting forever for that to happen if you're thinking about building a gaming rig. It will take a very long time for prices to drop off appreciatively, if they ever do at all. Second hand cards will come up, sure, but they will have been thrashed 24/7 their entire operating lives if miners, far more so than the hardest core power-gamer.

You're looking at 250-300 last time I looked, for a GTX1060 with 6gb. I wouldn't bother buying anything lesser than the equivalent of that. Annoying, but fact.

One like this:
    https://www.ebuyer.com/755849-gigaby...n1060wf2oc-6gd

Personally, I'd throw the extra 30 quid or whatever on a full size card rather than a mini, in case I ever want to overclock it to get a bit more life out of it - the minis are going to be more problematic if you want to do that. It's probably a good investment.

8. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Pax:

Blog Entries

Oh and those two cards you linked to Eclipse are two different cards in terms of chipset - one's a 1060 and the other is a 1050ti. Just in case you hadn't spotted.

10. The following user liked this post made by Pax:

At Work
    Liked 367 in 219 posts

Thanks Pax & Ed

I guess I should wait until I can afford a 1060 6g card,
    I can see myself regretting it if I bought a lower spec card in the future.

Blog Entries

Just to make things more annoying - if you've got to wait to save for it, might be worth waiting a bit longer for next gen. Dunno, depends on timescales and I'm not that much up on it.

Quick google throws up this, not much to go on.

https://www.techradar.com/news/nvidia-volta

With my GTX970, I'm in a good spot to wait until next year, I suspect, to get a next gen. On reflection, you can get second hand GTX970 for around 150 quid now, so (taking a bit of a punt second hand), you could possibly go for that as a stop gap? I'm still not seeing anything my card won't run pretty. GTA V is still one of the most demanding games out there despite its age, and I can run that on "high" settings, and have no problem getting solid 60fps on pretty much anything else that's well optimised, without tweaking settings appreciably. The next gen will be about 4k, at which point you may well be needing a new TV/monitor (I know I will) or even VR if that ever goes anywhere.

13. The following user liked this post made by Pax:

Blog Entries

And here's yet another view, where there's a suggestion that at next-gen launch time, the stock of 10 series will drop in price (sounds obvious really). I guess miners upgrading and/or no longer investing in 10 series will influence that too (which is not the same as crypto mining dying off). It's all a bit iffy.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev.../#354f2f427cb7

A mate of mine has been waiting to get a gaming rig for ages, but he has a single pile of cash to spend due to being on the long term sick so there's a lot of procrastination. He was originally going to get a 1070 for around 300 IIRC lol until the price hikes hit. But one of the things he was waiting for was Star Citizen to get to a decent state, which now is clearly not going to happen until 2020 IMHO, which also means "if ever" (could possibly be the largest bit of gaming fail of all time by some margin if they don't stop feature creeping and start satisfying the people they've already taken money from). So, back down to Earth from that one, I might suggest to him going the GTX970 stop gap route if he wants to move on it any time soon. He'll probably just wait another year tho lol.

15. The following user liked this post made by Pax:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Sorry, but smart money on crypto mining taking a hit any time soon isn't that smart. Just because crypto prices took a hit, doesn't mean it's all over. Prices are recovering a bit now, but that isn't the thing - it's the horrendous electricity use that will kill proof-of-work type scenario the cryto scene currently has and force something different.
    Sorry I was thinking a bit rapidly there. OK, hardware head on time. Same as video/ games crytpo is all about crunching a shit load of data fast. The difference being it doesn't need to output in video. However it's easy now to run multiple cards in a custom rigs simply for brute power easily configurable & no esoteric parts. Hell-nick the cards etc. Even better-pinch the entire rig. Even betterer-nick the power too. But as ever heat is your enemy, & the faster it all goes, down every decreasingly dimensioned channels & paths, the hotter it's going to get. I've now hit the buffers on my current state of hardware knowledge, but I did note one of the big semiconductor firms has announced sort of cpus soley for mining. Which is how I'd have gone about it rather than coercing existing kit into doing this. OK, APUs or whatever. Wafers of silicon. Or gallium, or whatever substrate is going to be optimum for this kind of application. Which suggests to me that running a batch of those is going to be superior, because if nothing else you can get LC into it. Right on top of them all.

IF this scenario does come off, I still don't reckon it'd collapse high end cards-not if you can still nick it all. But vastly less power hungry plus much more effective cooling-ah well. Running warehouses full of them in a cheap hot country is back on, but the 'old' way in a cold environment is also still on.

I think it's going to get interesting quite shortly.

None of which exactly helps Eclipse!

17. The following user liked this post made by Editor:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Oh and those two cards you linked to Eclipse are two different cards in terms of chipset - one's a 1060 and the other is a 1050ti. Just in case you hadn't spotted.
    could you do me a quick favour & explain what the difference & more crucially, what the effective significance is please?!

19. The following user liked this post made by Editor:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    could you do me a quick favour & explain what the difference & more crucially, what the effective significance is please?!
    I can't, particularly. The "10" series has a different architecture to the "9" series. I don't know (or care) what the difference is, I'm not a hardware buff. Same goes for the 1050 vs the 1060 - one of them simply has more bells and whistles and therefore is faster than the other - it's going to be more instructions or more transistors or somesuch bollocks I don't need to know about. The "ti" is a thing that Nvidia does to tart up and produce a "posh" version of any one card type, and can be somewhat nebulous as to what the benefits are (it stands for "Titanium" but that means fuck all in itself, beyond "posh version"). Sometimes, but not certainly, the Ti version of one level of card will perform about as well as another higher level of card or even one of the next level of architecture. As I think I pointed out elsewhere recently, the 980Ti cards perform about as well as a straight 1060 card. But even a straight 980 itself is a good card at the upper echelon of the 9 series architecture, and through it's raw power might perform as well as a lower echelon 10 series card, like a 1050.

The only way to tell any of this is to look at benchmarks and compare one card to another - it's a relative thing so it's important to compare two card types. I just go with GPUBoss and a couple other sites. I always check more than one benchmark site - power gaming snobs with more money than brains will get into wanky pissing fights about the usefulness of one site over another, but a sensible person is just looking for performance indicators and it's not hard to get a good idea of where the sweet spot is in terms of bang for buck.

After you've figured out what GPU card series you're going for, then it's what card manufacturer. The differences there are mostly things like quality of the fans and heat sink, or card size type things. The last 3 cards I've owned have all been MSI, because for a slightly higher price point they get consistently good reviews on all those quality related things compared to the cheaper end like Palit so I keep going back. I always shop around and research though in case things change, as one always does when doing a big spend on anything, no?

So my strategy is to simply do market research, but without getting bogged down in too much technical detail, because there generally is no need, at least in terms a single level of architecture. It becomes very apparent with little research what the sweet spot is in terms of popularity and bang for buck. The GTX970 was the one for the 9 series, the GTX1070 would have been the one for the 10 series were it not for the crypto thing, and now it's the 1060 due to the price hike.

Comparing benchmarks between the 970 and the 1060 still shows the 1060 to be the far superior card, but - if you've bought the right card from any given generation of architecture, you can find yourself skipping entire generations of architecture before you need to upgrade. So, as I've said, I'm unlikely to need a 10 series card as my 970 will see me through until the next gen. Had I bought a 960, I probably could still do the same but it would be a shittier experience - I'd have to compromise on lower graphics settings earlier, things like that. But the need to upgrade can be a varying thing depending on graphics technologies and the like and the whether the games drive the hardware or vice versa.

Case in point - my previous card to the GTX970 was a GTX260 - I bought that card in 2009, had it as my main for six years and skipped what, six generations of GPUs with that 260 (I don't think there actually were seven generations in between, CBA to check). But this was due to a number of things: 1) the 260 was the sweet spot card in the 2 series for bang for buck, no question. 2) 60fps in gaming wasn't much of a thing for much of the 260's lifespan, 30fps or even less was still fine for many (now if you can't get 60fps you know it and hate it, but it's not the power gamer thing it once was, easily achievable). 3) The XBox 360 and PS3 dominated gaming in that period and their replacements didn't come for a long time, so nothing drove the hardware. For me, the need to upgrade finally became unavoidable with next gen graphics that required hardware the the XBox One and PS4 supported. Games like GTA V and Elite: Dangerous wouldn't run at all without it. But had I bought the cheaper end of the 2 series architecture, say the 250 instead of the 260, I wouldn't have got nearly as far and there would have been another card required along the way.

Wow that's an essay on card buying strategy for someone who is looking for the best deal. Sorry I've not really answered your question Ed, but I'm actually quite ignorant of the hardware side and I think I'm trying to demonstrate that buying strategy doesn't need to be based too much about details of hardware - the market teaches you all you need to know if you look at it right. Indeed, I think the hardware details can be a distraction and lead you down the wanky path of power gaming and overspend. Simple rule: the slightly above mid range one is normally it, rather than the slightly below mid range one. I've not had buyer's regret on a PC build in 20 years or more, all gaming, so I must be doing something right.

21. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Pax:

At Work
    Liked 367 in 219 posts

Thanks Pax that was a good read

23. The following user liked this post made by Eclipse:

A Bit Bored
    Liked
    2/1

try to check whats the best and compatible for your mobo on newegg.com/global/uk

i usually use this to check the specs of video cards and mostly the do have comments there as well so thats all i could say

goodluck on finding a gc

At Work
    Liked 367 in 219 posts

I bought a budget 1060 6g , haven't read any bad news about it and it has an extended warranty (5 years)
    Can't get it in until Sunday but really looking forward to it.

26. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Eclipse:

Go Back to Forum My Forum