Thread: RaspberryPi Home CCTV

Should Get Out More TheEnglishman's Avatar
    Liked 705 in 441 posts
    Blog Entries

Default RaspberryPi Home CCTV

Some dodgy people have been looking at garages around me lately so I'm going for a CCTV system - I've got some RaspberryPi's knocking around so thought I might utilise them.

Anyone played with this?
    https://github.com/ccrisan/motioneyeos

It looks reasonable and it'll e-mail me with alerts if motion is detected. It's not amazingly cheap once you've sourced cameras, SD cards, cases, power supplies, wi-fi adaptors etc but still a lot cheaper than a NEST cam and possibly more versatile, as it'll do IFTTT stuff, like turn on lights etc

Has anyone gone a different, homebrew, route?

At Work
    Liked 367 in 219 posts

Default Re: RaspberryPi Home CCTV

Hi Englishman

Sorry I cant help with your project but I am just getting in to Raspberry Pi's
    so I am interested in how this develops , please keep us updated.

Liked 705 in 441 posts
    Blog Entries

So far so good. The Raspberry Pi Zero and the Pi camera produce quality video - the guy has written a programme that utilises the power of the graphics processor. Quite neat.

The Pi B+ Central Server installed and configured just fine. It does need a proper 3 Amp power supply though - I had it rebooting constantly when it had to encode video as the first power supply I tried couldn’t cope

Today’s shopping list will be a few more Pi Zeros, cameras, cases, power supplies and cabling. I was going to store stuff on a NAS but it’s going to be quicker, cheaper and easier to just store videos in Google or Dropbox.

Screwdriver recommended getting proper CCTV camera cases as they act as a deterrent in themselves!

4. The following 2 users liked this useful post by TheEnglishman:

Liked 2,509 in 1,648 posts

Are you considering any 'hard' deterrents such as visible door locks. As opposed to sellers hungry dog deterrents..

Liked 1,431 in 1,001 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnglishman View Post
    Screwdriver recommended getting proper CCTV camera cases as they act as a deterrent in themselves!
    After our mam was burgled plod gave her a security audit. The crucial point about the above is to get power to them. The scrotes just point their phone cameras at them & if they 'flare' then they know they're active. If not....

At Work
    Liked 367 in 219 posts

Liked 2,509 in 1,648 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    After our mam was burgled plod gave her a security audit. The crucial point about the above is to get power to them. The scrotes just point their phone cameras at them & if they 'flare' then they know they're active. If not....
    Possibly ott and maybe technically awkward, but how about a [relatively] covert one at low level with IR lighting, to get their faces as they look down to avoid the overt one higher up. In fact, would an overt unpowered dummy camera pull them into a false sense of security stupidity?

Liked 705 in 441 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Possibly ott and maybe technically awkward, but how about a [relatively] covert one at low level with IR lighting, to get their faces as they look down to avoid the overt one higher up. In fact, would an overt unpowered dummy camera pull them into a false sense of security stupidity?
    Get the 940nm IRlights - the 850nm ones glow red

10. The following user liked this post made by TheEnglishman:

Liked 705 in 441 posts
    Blog Entries

Well I learned quite a few things.
    1. If you want something that works out of the box pay the money for a Nest or similar
    2. Linux is still as flakey as hell, 20 years after it was announced it'd take over from Microsoft
    3. I'd forgotten how much I like making stuff and bits and doing basic electronics
    4. If you can't make bits and do basic electronics see 1.

The indoor camera came out ok - I needed a better aerial and mounting that meant a bit of bodging. The additional lens is for mobile phones and isn't great. Which is why Canon 50mmf1.4 isn't 5.99

The outdoor boxes worked out ok too. The Pi Camera needed a bit of ABS plastic to get it to fit.

The Pi Zero fitted nicely on the back of the gimble. I'm trying one with an external WiFi adaptor and the other one is a Zero W with the wireless chip built onto the circuit board. My router says they're all 'Excellent' in the connection speed. I was surprised how much heat these things generate - the cameras run a Pi Zero at 75% CPU and also use the GPU to render video. I'm running the camera chips at 1296/972, which doubles up the CCTV pixels - so you get better low light images as there's less noise. So all in all a reasonable use of the functionality available.

And here's an outdoor box mounted. A wide angle lens adaptor gives a good 90 degree cone of vision - So perfect on the corner or a room etc.

Each camera box with everything to get it to work is about 50 - the Pi camera's about 20, the Pi Zero is 5, the wireless is 5, the box is about a tenner and a power supply about another tenner. I used a 12v power supply and a tiny 12v-5v converter for the Pi. The method is that I get 12W into box - 5w for the Pi and 5 or so for some Infra Red LEDs. All on 1A low voltage cabling, so no mains to worry about. The external camera boxes aren't watertight - they're kinda splash proof, which I think is fine. Especially as they heat themselves more than I expected.

The base unit(Central Server) is a Pi B+. That runs 3 camera easily - about 50% CPU and 50% memory.

The recommendation to run all of this over wired ethernet is a sound one - my 2.4G Wifi is pretty much maxed out running this. Which is what it's for as all the good stuff runs on 5G.

Next is to get a voice system on the front door with IFTTT technology.

12. The following 2 users liked this useful post by TheEnglishman:

Liked 1,431 in 1,001 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnglishman View Post
    Well I learned quite a few things:

1..Linux is still as flakey as hell, 20 years after it was announced it'd take over from Microsoft

the recommendation to run all of this over wired ethernet is a sound one - my 2.4G Wifi is pretty much maxed out running this. Which is what it's for as all the good stuff runs on 5G.

Next is to get a voice system on the front door with IFTTT technology.
    Nice write-up, thank you.

1 What did you have to do to 'torture' it into working correctly?

If you remember the old ways the burglars worked it was to cut the phone lines & then the power. I suppose today's equiv might be to bork your router's protocols or whatever, but cutting the power would bork everything except UPS & your mobile phones.

Liked 705 in 441 posts
    Blog Entries

It was just a lot of experimentation to get everything working.

Getting usb Wi-Fi adaptors working can be tricky.

It was trial and error to find the best resolution to set the cameras to.

You have to be careful with 5v power sources - one might charge your phone but not power a Raspberry Pi.

Liked 705 in 441 posts
    Blog Entries

Couple of more things:

If you're running a few cameras into a Pi B+ it needs heatsinks and a fan. I cut up on old heatsink and put a 60mm 12v fan into the top of the case. Run the fan from 5v and it stays quiet and moves plenty enough air around.

Get a really good quality 3A power supply for the B+. And I mean really good quality. High amperage does not equate to high quality.

Go Back to Forum My Forum