TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Equipment for converting vinyl to digital?

  1. #1
    Should Get Out More Taipan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boerthal's hill
    Posts
    43,255
    Like
    10,856
    Liked 6,771 in 3,589 posts

    Default Equipment for converting vinyl to digital?


    TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    A strange request has filtered through to me at work, a client has some old LPs that they'd like converting to digital, which isn't soemthing we'd normally do, but i'd liketo have a go if the set up costs are low enough. A quick check on amazon finds one of these. Would this be okay, or does it need to be more elaborate than that. I've only got to provide MP3s, so what software would do this? Anything else I need to know?


  2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
  3. #2
    Should Get Out More Greenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On the Dancefloor
    Posts
    18,020
    Like
    944
    Liked 1,063 in 805 posts

    Default Re: Equipment for converting vinyl to digital?

    I do this via a Serato Rane SL2 box plugged into my main mixer as i already have decks, though i'm sure that USB turntable will do the job a lot easier for you.

    You could plug that into your PC via USB port and install audacity then record at your hearts content. Audacity will record anything coming through your input when you hit the record button.

    Make sure you whack your levels up as far as pos on your pc's soundcard and in audacity when recording them as it will make the overall qaulity a lot better.

  4. The following user liked this post made by Greenman:


  5. #3
    Should Get Out More GiantPygmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    20,179
    Like
    4,883
    Liked 3,870 in 2,116 posts

    Default Re: Equipment for converting vinyl to digital?

    You can get turntables with a USB port for not much money (or you could a couple of years back)

    EDIT: Now I've seen your link - yeah, that!

  6. The following user liked this post made by GiantPygmy:


  7. #4
    Should Get Out More Taipan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boerthal's hill
    Posts
    43,255
    Like
    10,856
    Liked 6,771 in 3,589 posts

    Default Re: Equipment for converting vinyl to digital?

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    I do this via a Serato Rane SL2 box plugged into my main mixer as i already have decks, though i'm sure that USB turntable will do the job a lot easier for you.

    You could plug that into your PC via USB port and install audacity then record at your hearts content. Audacity will record anything coming through your input when you hit the record button.

    Make sure you whack your levels up as far as pos on your pc's soundcard and in audacity when recording them as it will make the overall qaulity a lot better.
    Thanks. Another question for you; Does audacity recognise individual tracks, or do have to stop the recording each time?

  8. #5
    Should Get Out More Greenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On the Dancefloor
    Posts
    18,020
    Like
    944
    Liked 1,063 in 805 posts

    Default Re: Equipment for converting vinyl to digital?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    Thanks. Another question for you; Does audacity recognise individual tracks, or do have to stop the recording each time?
    Stop each time i'm afraid.

    Though you can easily see looking at the waveform where one stops and the next starts and you can can just copy and paste each one out into a new file.

    Or you could add label markers at each track start and use the 'export multiple' option which will export each track individually for you...

    https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/label_tracks.html

    The USB turntable might come with software that makes this even easier than audacity!

  9. The following user liked this post made by Greenman:


  10. #6
    Should Get Out More Editor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    23,687
    Like
    8,766
    Liked 1,371 in 952 posts
    Blog Entries
    43

    Default Re: Equipment for converting vinyl to digital?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    A strange request has filtered through to me at work, a client has some old LPs that they'd like converting to digital,
    Assuming that you can't simply buy the music digitally (have they actually checked...?) & they are old & in much the same kind of condition as everyone else's vinyl is by now then that USB is the easy win. Audacity is pretty damned good-IIRC it has setting exactly for vinyl too.

    If we're talking beautifully cared for vinyl with unobtanium top notch recordings then borrow a really good TT & and external sound card which has the right curve adjustments for phono moving magnet or moving coil cartridges. But it had better be a very clean piece of vinyl & a very detailed recording of something sophisticated. An early Erasure Album isn't really worth the effort

    A Deutsche Grammophon of something rare & beautiful OTOH....but I bet that's been properly done off the mastertapes eons ago.


    Go on-what's on these LPs? Tell us everything!

  11. #7
    Should Get Out More Greenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On the Dancefloor
    Posts
    18,020
    Like
    944
    Liked 1,063 in 805 posts

    Default Re: Equipment for converting vinyl to digital?

    Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    Assuming that you can't simply buy the music digitally (have they actually checked...?) & they are old & in much the same kind of condition as everyone else's vinyl is by now then that USB is the easy win. Audacity is pretty damned good-IIRC it has setting exactly for vinyl too.

    If we're talking beautifully cared for vinyl with unobtanium top notch recordings then borrow a really good TT & and external sound card which has the right curve adjustments for phono moving magnet or moving coil cartridges. But it had better be a very clean piece of vinyl & a very detailed recording of something sophisticated. An early Erasure Album isn't really worth the effort

    A Deutsche Grammophon of something rare & beautiful OTOH....but I bet that's been properly done off the mastertapes eons ago.


    Go on-what's on these LPs? Tell us everything!
    Abba and Kylie's greatest hits i recon...

  12. #8
    Should Get Out More Taipan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boerthal's hill
    Posts
    43,255
    Like
    10,856
    Liked 6,771 in 3,589 posts

    Default Re: Equipment for converting vinyl to digital?

    Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    Assuming that you can't simply buy the music digitally (have they actually checked...?) & they are old & in much the same kind of condition as everyone else's vinyl is by now then that USB is the easy win. Audacity is pretty damned good-IIRC it has setting exactly for vinyl too.

    If we're talking beautifully cared for vinyl with unobtanium top notch recordings then borrow a really good TT & and external sound card which has the right curve adjustments for phono moving magnet or moving coil cartridges. But it had better be a very clean piece of vinyl & a very detailed recording of something sophisticated. An early Erasure Album isn't really worth the effort

    A Deutsche Grammophon of something rare & beautiful OTOH....but I bet that's been properly done off the mastertapes eons ago.


    Go on-what's on these LPs? Tell us everything!
    I don't actually know that much about them Ed, other than they are from a music library's archive, and probably not anything special, just no longer available. I suspect a conservator has probably flagged up they are degrading, so they will look to digitise them, to at least keep the audio assets, if not the physical media. Our dept is often a first port of call for these places to see if we can do it, or if we know who can. I generally look into it and see if its even feasible to undertake the job, if so we'll price up the kit we need and include its costs in the bid.I suspect this will be outsourced to a specialist company as the monitoring of the recordings will take up too much of my time.

  13. #9
    Should Get Out More Editor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    23,687
    Like
    8,766
    Liked 1,371 in 952 posts
    Blog Entries
    43

    Default Re: Equipment for converting vinyl to digital?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    .. as the monitoring of the recordings will take up too much of my time.
    Ah, yes there is that.

    Still interested to hear what's on them though!

Go Back to Forum My Forum