TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Welsh National Rally 2018

  1. #1
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London SW
    Posts
    3,183
    Like
    971
    Liked 342 in 225 posts

    Default Welsh National Rally 2018


    TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Never sure whether to put rally references into this forum or Rideouts and Events. Whatever.
    I'm doing it again for maybe around the 12th or 13th time (can't count). 5th May. It's pretty-much the highlight of my biking year. Yep, even when it rains (usually). Silver + Dragon is the aim this time. I thought about Platinum then said to myself, "This is supposed to be enjoyable".

    Anyone else doing it?

    If you fancy a last minute application this is the link:
    http://www.clivemcc.co.uk/

  2. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Scootabout:


  3. #2
    At Work TrickyDicky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Baarkshire
    Posts
    1,905
    Like
    814
    Liked 1,134 in 508 posts

    Default Re: Welsh National Rally 2018

    I've done it a few times and got a couple of Golds and had very enjoyable days despite the weather, and some distinctly dodgy sheep tracks
    I can't be there this year, but just clicked on your link, there's pics of me and my MT there last year, never seen them until today !

  4. The following 2 users liked this useful post by TrickyDicky:


  5. #3
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    6,754
    Like
    30
    Liked 1,293 in 828 posts

    Default Re: Welsh National Rally 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Scootabout View Post
    Never sure whether to put rally references into this forum or Rideouts and Events. Whatever.
    I'm doing it again for maybe around the 12th or 13th time (can't count). 5th May. It's pretty-much the highlight of my biking year. Yep, even when it rains (usually). Silver + Dragon is the aim this time. I thought about Platinum then said to myself, "This is supposed to be enjoyable".

    Anyone else doing it?
    Not me. When one has achieved platinum on an LE, there's no challenge anymore.

    The real truth, other things keep getting in the way of my riding but maybe one day..........

  6. #4
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London SW
    Posts
    3,183
    Like
    971
    Liked 342 in 225 posts

    Default Re: Welsh National Rally 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Breaker View Post
    Not me. When one has achieved platinum on an LE, there's no challenge anymore.

    The real truth, other things keep getting in the way of my riding but maybe one day..........
    I found gold quite challenging, on the one occasion that I did it. How you managed an extra four landmarks to get platinum on that machine I really don't know. (I assume it was 12 unmanned LMs for you not 15, as you were on a 'vintage machine'?)

    Anyway, I'll catch up with you one of these days...

  7. #5
    Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nearly at the dawn of Britain
    Posts
    13,816
    Like
    844
    Liked 2,495 in 1,484 posts

    Default Re: Welsh National Rally 2018

    I did it in 2007, turned out to be quite a challenge on a bike with a range of 70 miles (Husqvarna 610), it didn't help that I had a stinking cold and had ridden 250 miles the day before just to get to the start.
    I'll probably give it another go one day, bikewise my advice is use a bike that's all day comfortable and easy to ride, not a bloody Supermoto.

  8. #6
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    6,754
    Like
    30
    Liked 1,293 in 828 posts

    Default Re: Welsh National Rally 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Scootabout View Post
    I found gold quite challenging, on the one occasion that I did it. How you managed an extra four landmarks to get platinum on that machine I really don't know. (I assume it was 12 unmanned LMs for you not 15, as you were on a 'vintage machine'?)
    You are right and wrong.
    In 2003 they had a bronze award with the start, 12 unmanned controls, 4 manned ( the one at the Gower being compulsory for everyone) and the finish at Aberystwyth. The earliest start time was 9am and latest finish 11.30pm. The silver started no earlier than 10 pm from Aberystwyth for 8 unmanned and 4 manned stops, plus reaching the finish before 9am on the Sunday. A gold was awarded for doing the bronze and silver, with hour break between the two. There was no platinum then.
    In 2004 , following complaints from some riders, there were two daytime options, one of 8 unmanned plus 2 manned and a longer one of 12 unmanned and two manned. The night stage hadn't changed but the addition of 4 dragon points enable a platinum by riding the long day, the night and the dragon.
    Since then, the night stage has been dropped, more stops have been added and I believe the starting time has been brought forward to give a wee bit longer for the ride. Therefore, taking the daytime ride only, you are right in saying that the number of controls were fewer. I did ride a few times after they'd dropped the night stage but I can't remember how many controls it required. Where you are wrong is that there were no concessions then for inadequacies in the bike be it old, a sports bike or moped. Everyone had the same rules.

    Anyway, I'll catch up with you one of these days...
    Going on previous experience, I think you'll need a faster bike to catch up with me.

  9. #7
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London SW
    Posts
    3,183
    Like
    971
    Liked 342 in 225 posts

    Default Re: Welsh National Rally 2018

    Flippin' heck. Ralliers were tougher in those days Probably my most challenging year was when it rained virtually incessantly all day. I dropped from a target of gold down to silver, and was pretty grateful to get even that. The only consolation was bumping into a couple of IAM-ers from Somerset who were staying in the same B&B, had set off early and had said they were going for platinum. This was about 75% of the way round. Like me they had dropped their sights to silver....

  10. #8
    Not Much To Do
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    559
    Like
    36
    Liked 54 in 37 posts

    Default Re: Welsh National Rally 2018

    I'll be there again. About 6th year I think.
    KTM Adventure (before Dementia).

  11. The following user liked this post made by tarmacsurfer:


  12. #9
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London SW
    Posts
    3,183
    Like
    971
    Liked 342 in 225 posts

    Default Re: Welsh National Rally 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by tarmacsurfer View Post
    I'll be there again. About 6th year I think.
    KTM Adventure (before Dementia).
    The IAMers were on KTMs. One had to be trailered back to Somerset. Wasn't you, was it?

  13. #10
    Not Much To Do
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    559
    Like
    36
    Liked 54 in 37 posts

    Default Re: Welsh National Rally 2018

    Lol no, I'm definitely not an IAMer. 😂

  14. #11
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London SW
    Posts
    3,183
    Like
    971
    Liked 342 in 225 posts

    Default Re: Welsh National Rally 2018

    I hardly dare say this, for fear of tempting fate, but the weather forecast looks abnormally dry by Welsh standards

  15. #12
    Not Much To Do
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    559
    Like
    36
    Liked 54 in 37 posts

    Default Re: Welsh National Rally 2018

    Fantastic weather! Had a great ride.
    The new start location is a lot better I think but running it on a Bank Holiday meant traffic was a bit of a mare.

  16. #13
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London SW
    Posts
    3,183
    Like
    971
    Liked 342 in 225 posts

    Default Re: Welsh National Rally 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by tarmacsurfer View Post
    Fantastic weather! Had a great ride.
    The new start location is a lot better I think but running it on a Bank Holiday meant traffic was a bit of a mare.
    Enjoyed it massively, too.
    The start was 'efficient' at getting people in and out, as I suppose you'd expect from a livestock marketplace designed to accommodate hundreds of people. Maybe it lacked a bit of 'character', but that's a secondary issue.
    Oddly enough I didn't find the traffic too bad, even though I went along the coast to Barmouth and later to Aberystwyth. But most of the time I was inland, often with no other traffic. You don't get a huge amount of it on the Tregaron to Beulah road, for example - although I did encounter a largish group of dirt riders. I didn't stay ahead of them for long
    Silver and Dragon for me. That was about right - a full day without being knackering, and allowing a choice of some nice minor roads.
    I stayed for the Sunday, too, and did some Round Britain Rally landmarks. I headed south from Welshpool down the glorious A483, off to Hay-on-Wye then into the Valleys, ending finally near Ross-on-Wye.

    Brilliant long weekend. One of the best ever.

  17. #14
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Your friendly local advanced trainer :)
    Posts
    8,251
    Like
    570
    Liked 736 in 435 posts

    Default Re: Welsh National Rally 2018

    I did it the once, finished joint first overall

    Not only could I throw quoits straighter than most, it seemed that I knew more Welsh history than most on the tie-breaker LOL

    That was back when it was a 24 hour event, too. I'd ridden to the start from Oxford, so I'd already done about three hours riding before the rally started.

    It was pretty good weather that weekend too - a bit of early rain down in the Gower, then wonderful sun right up to sunset at Aberystwyth... then a quick shower sometime around midnight, and the rest of the ride was dry.

    I was navigating via a combination of Psion IIIa and an early Garmin III Plus GPS with a black and white screen, that didn't do routes, but had a black and white map that showed where you were plus a line pointing in the direction of the next waypoint - it only stored one waypoint at a time IIRC, hence the Psion which also had the precise location of each control.

    Mind you, I only finished because Bike Breaker woke me up at 7am when I fell asleep halfway through breakfast with about 50 miles to ride to the final control.

    I was still half-asleep when we left. That was one of the slowest 50 miles I've ever done and it wasn't because Bike Breaker was on her Velocette LE - I could hardly keep my eyes open. Dangerous really.

  18. The following user liked this post made by The Spin Doctor:


  19. #15
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London SW
    Posts
    3,183
    Like
    971
    Liked 342 in 225 posts

    Default Re: Welsh National Rally 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    I did it the once, finished joint first overall

    Not only could I throw quoits straighter than most, it seemed that I knew more Welsh history than most on the tie-breaker LOL

    That was back when it was a 24 hour event, too. I'd ridden to the start from Oxford, so I'd already done about three hours riding before the rally started.

    It was pretty good weather that weekend too - a bit of early rain down in the Gower, then wonderful sun right up to sunset at Aberystwyth... then a quick shower sometime around midnight, and the rest of the ride was dry.

    I was navigating via a combination of Psion IIIa and an early Garmin III Plus GPS with a black and white screen, that didn't do routes, but had a black and white map that showed where you were plus a line pointing in the direction of the next waypoint - it only stored one waypoint at a time IIRC, hence the Psion which also had the precise location of each control.

    Mind you, I only finished because Bike Breaker woke me up at 7am when I fell asleep halfway through breakfast with about 50 miles to ride to the final control.

    I was still half-asleep when we left. That was one of the slowest 50 miles I've ever done and it wasn't because Bike Breaker was on her Velocette LE - I could hardly keep my eyes open. Dangerous really.
    When I were a lad we used to *dream* of Psion IIIa's
    I once did the overnight version of the (English) National Road Rally and, yes, I remember being very tied and not very safe at one point, which is one reason why I've never done the all-nighter since. The others are that it rained much of the time and my poor old eyes ain't as good in the dark as they used to be.

    I quite fancy doing the daytime again this year, though, after a few years' lay-off. It'll never beat the Welsh, though.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission