TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offline Navigation app

Not Much To Do
    Liked 69 in 46 posts

Default Offline Navigation app

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Hi,
    I used TyreToTravel to create an offline map (KMZ / KML format). I know that Google Maps doesn't allow navigation using offline maps but could someone recommend an Android app that does?

Cheers.

Liked 7,587 in 4,297 posts

Default Re: Offline Navigation app

Co-pilot is pretty good as a nav app, not sure how well it handles KMZ/KML files, but I'm sure google knows.

Liked 4,336 in 2,246 posts
    Blog Entries

Google maps can be used for directions offline. You just need to download the map in advance.

Liked 1,587 in 701 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    Co-pilot is pretty good as a nav app, not sure how well it handles KMZ/KML files, but I'm sure google knows.
    Ive got the paid-for (approx 20 for lifetime worldwide maps when I bought it ) version of Co-Pilot on Android, it's a little bit of a faff but you can import KML files, or was for me anyway until I worked out where to put the files to get them to show up through the UI) and it did some strange things with waypoints sometime- seem to remember there was a max limit of 20 or so, but it basically worked.

There was a major update to the Co-Pilot interface a year or so ago which in my (and it seems lots of others) opinions ruined it a bit, sort of dumbed it down with less options, but made it harder to use for anything but real basic stuff , if that makes sense- I greatly prefer google maps and use that on the bike through my helmet when I need it, I can only see me using CO-Pilot now if I need off-line nav on the bike

Liked 133 in 79 posts

Here Maps

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Liked 362 in 137 posts

Maps Me.. We use it in UK but had turn by turn navigation in Thailand, Morocco and Peru

Liked 1,024 in 443 posts

I've also used Here maps abroad, like a lot of these apps you may have to download an area beforehand.
    (Mine was on IOS but I think its the same on different platforms)

Liked 2,335 in 1,198 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reburner View Post
    Google maps can be used for directions offline. You just need to download the map in advance.

For navigation in the UK there are all sorts you can use. I like Waze for the speed camera alerts, but I don't think it does offline, as google does. Same applies in the EU of course, when you get the same data allowance as you do at home. Though that may be ending soon

Outside your data area (of where mobile phone reception may not be good) I don't think there's anything to beat a proper satnav.
    Last edited by Tomcat; 02-05-18 at 10:32.

Liked 362 in 137 posts

where are you going where you cannot access data? Is it for parts of the country where you have no data signal or are you going abroad?

Whatever country I go to outside of the EU, I have an unlocked uk mobile, and buy a local sim.

Just be careful using the EU roaming near non EU places, I've heard of people near Andorra getting shock bills as the phone has latched onto non Spanish masts.

Liked 2,176 in 1,470 posts

Quote Originally Posted by tarmacsurfer View Post
    Hi,
    I used TyreToTravel to create an offline map (KMZ / KML format). I know that Google Maps doesn't allow navigation using offline maps but could someone recommend an Android app that does?

Cheers.
    Yes they do, I have used it in the UK and South Africa. Perfect for when there is no mobile reception and it doesnt eat into your data.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 69 in 46 posts

Quote Originally Posted by LondonDRZ View Post
    Yes they do, I have used it in the UK and South Africa. Perfect for when there is no mobile reception and it doesnt eat into your data.
    Strange. I tried to do this last Autumn and although it displayed the offline map on my mobile, Google definitely wouldn't do turn-by-turn navigation from a custom offline route. When I checked the forums this seemed to be also the case.

To answer the questions, I can use data - but I want to follow a predetermined route for the Welsh Rally and perhaps another tour in Spain (not just end to end). I've done this old-skool before with paper maps but wouldn't mind a back-up.
    Last edited by tarmacsurfer; 02-05-18 at 12:49.

Strange. I tried to do this last Autumn and although it displayed the offline map on my mobile, Google definitely wouldn't do turn-by-turn navigation from a custom offline route. When I checked the forums this seemed to be also the case.

To answer the questions, I can use data - but I want to follow a predetermined route for the Welsh Rally and perhaps another tour in Spain (not just end to end). I've done this old-skool before with paper maps but wouldn't mind a back-up.
    Did you make sure you highlighted to offline map and then downloaded it? Also, they only last about a month so you need to remember to update them. Mine did turn for turn from Johannesburg Oliver Tambo Airport all the way to The Kruger Park in South Africa which is a pretty long journey. Then used it in Cape Town. It does take a decent sized chunk of memory though, fine if you have an Android phone with expandable memory or an expensive iPhone.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 69 in 46 posts

hmm..I'm not sure if we're saying the same thing or crossing wires. You can use Google for turn by turn navigation on an offline map, however if you've created a custom route in Google Maps (a nice scenic route with waypoints) then it won't navigate from it. Only display on the screen - so you have to keep scrolling around, zooming in out etc.

hmm..I'm not sure if we're saying the same thing or crossing wires. You can use Google for turn by turn navigation on an offline map, however if you've created a custom route in Google Maps (a nice scenic route with waypoints) then it won't navigate from it. Only display on the screen - so you have to keep scrolling around, zooming in out etc.
    Ah! Sorry yes. Dont know about the custom route option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission