Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I prep a set of carbs for ultrasonic tank?

Liked 936 in 605 posts

Default Re: How do I prep a set of carbs for ultrasonic tank?

Yeh, the caps will be part of the problem at least. You can sometimes stick a screwdriver in the cap and remove the insides which may allow you to clean it. If so there's a spring in there so be careful.

Liked 1,817 in 1,121 posts
    Blog Entries

I just did exactly that before seeing your post. Took just one coil off the bike so I don't mix 'em up. Have unscrewed lead from coil, cap from lead. Tested resistance on coil, primary and secondary, both good.

But then tried what you said (before you said it), and I've munted the screw so badly getting it out, was really tough. All corrosion now removed hahaha. I wouldn't trust it now.

Can I get replacement screws, or do I need to buy a whole new cap? I don't now how I'd get a replacement screw in without munting it same as getting it out .

Am now looking at replacement caps. Am not sure if I'm seeing what's right for my bike, hmm.

Liked 936 in 605 posts

The head doesn't need to be pretty, just clean, but you do need to be able to tighten it up properly.

New caps shouldn't be an issue to find. Go for NGK or other branded aftermarket rather than used OEM.

Liked 1,817 in 1,121 posts
    Blog Entries

NGK cap I allegedly want:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NGK-SD05F...MAAOSwqNBajwsc

Whereas my existing cap has an elbow joint to it. The spark plug is in a 5 inch deep hole on a ZZR600. I suspect the lack of elbow joint isn't an issue, and I can transfer the rubber bit that plugs into the hole so it's more secure (though on previous ZZRs I've had they have been useless and come off anyway). So I'll probably be all right.

I'll try spark plugs in the damaged screws first and see how they look anyway, but I'm not hopeful, proper munted them lol. Sadly, these aren't the most corroded ones either, so I suspect I'm going to end up buying a full set of the NGK caps. Twenty odd quid. Plus 30 quid odd for new set of plugs.

When I've done all that and presumably the piece of shit still isn't running right, then I'll resurrect this thread and get started on the carb overhaul.

Won't that be fun?

Thanks all for replies.

5. The following user liked this post made by Pax:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum