TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Do You Hack A Wi-Fi Password?

Liked 3,870 in 2,116 posts

Default Re: How Do You Hack A Wi-Fi Password?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEnglishman View Post
    Is google broken?

Or is google not available on desert islands?

Or is the OP really that bored he can’t be bothered to search?
    Maybe he's asking this community to keep some activity going in TRC ?

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
  3. The following 2 users liked this useful post by GiantPygmy:

Liked 4,281 in 2,685 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnglishman View Post
    Is google broken?

Or is google not available on desert islands?

Or is the OP really that bored he canít be bothered to search?
    Thanks for that. Now piss off and try to annoy somebody else

Liked 1,241 in 794 posts

google backtrack distro.

reever can crack wep enabled... the one where you press a button on the router and type in an 8 digit number.

a much easier way is a man in the middle, you copy the ID of the transmitting router, send out your own signal at the same as making the real router drop all it's connections. they then connect to you and in doing so tell you the router password.

some or none of this might be true. I can't remember.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Liked 938 in 802 posts

It kinda depends on what you mean by WiFi password. Couple of different options:

'Open' Access Points(APs) - These are the type offered by shops/cafes etc. They often have a 'web portal' that requires a password but you can connect without a classic 'network' password. Hovering up these password is simple enough.

Protected APs - These actually have a password configured and so are not considered to be 'open'. There are two main technologies around, WEP and WPA. WEP is the older protocol and simple to crack/bypass/hack (google it). WPA is a little better, but if you have a simple 'pre shared key' it can be cracked/bypassed/hacked etc.

Client Attacks - Are you sure the person is collecting WiFi passwords? A common attack is to setup a 'rogue access point' whereby you pretend to be legitimate network. Your laptop will continually sent broadcast traffic looking for saved networks. Got a network at home called: 'GSXERS ROCK'? Your laptop will be looking for that wherever you go. Anyone can see this and pretend to be your home network. Your laptop won't know the difference and will connect, perhaps sharing passwords and data without you knowing (there are some complexities here)

So it depends really on what the person is hovering up.

7. The following user liked this post made by joe19:

Liked 1,371 in 952 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    google backtrack distro.

reever can crack wep enabled... the one where you press a button on the router and type in an 8 digit number.

a much easier way is a man in the middle, you copy the ID of the transmitting router, send out your own signal at the same as making the real router drop all it's connections. they then connect to you and in doing so tell you the router password.

some or none of this might be true. I can't remember.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by joe19 View Post
    It kinda depends on what you mean by WiFi password. Couple of different options:

'Open' Access Points(APs) - These are the type offered by shops/cafes etc. They often have a 'web portal' that requires a password but you can connect without a classic 'network' password. Hovering up these password is simple enough.

Protected APs - These actually have a password configured and so are not considered to be 'open'. There are two main technologies around, WEP and WPA. WEP is the older protocol and simple to crack/bypass/hack (google it). WPA is a little better, but if you have a simple 'pre shared key' it can be cracked/bypassed/hacked etc.

Client Attacks - Are you sure the person is collecting WiFi passwords? A common attack is to setup a 'rogue access point' whereby you pretend to be legitimate network. Your laptop will continually sent broadcast traffic looking for saved networks. Got a network at home called: 'GSXERS ROCK'? Your laptop will be looking for that wherever you go. Anyone can see this and pretend to be your home network. Your laptop won't know the difference and will connect, perhaps sharing passwords and data without you knowing (there are some complexities here)

So it depends really on what the person is hovering up.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    A computer/laptop within range of the wireless network, running some packet sniffing software that looks for repeated patterns and pieces together the encryption key.

It can take quite a while with WPA, kind of leave your PC on for a year and you might get next doors code.

If the wireless is using the old WEP standard it could take minutes.
    Blimey. OK, turning this on its head, what should I be doing to secure my Sky (not cable) router then please? And my mum's BT one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Badger View Post
    That. A list of common admin passwords
    That I have done!

Liked 5,626 in 3,233 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    Blimey. OK, turning this on its head, what should I be doing to secure my Sky (not cable) router then please? And my mum's BT one too.

That I have done!
    1. What are the chances of someone targeting your wifi specifically?
    2. Just because they're on your network doesn't mean they can get all your files (if you run firewalls on your pooters and use NTFS permissions, etc..)

Liked 1,371 in 952 posts
    Blog Entries

1. What are the chances of someone targeting your wifi specifically?

2. use NTFS permissions, etc..)
    1 Remote, but then again there's a few places around here with some decent looking cameras. I guess if you were going to burgle them you'd be wanting to at least knockout the internet, & pref the wifi between cameras & router

2 Que?

Liked 938 in 802 posts

Make sure you have WPA2 enabled with a nice long pre-shared key (PSK). For example:

thedogsatandwatchedthecatsrunpast<some_random_crap _here>

It's a PITA the few times you need to associate with the network, but after that you can forget. TBH the Sky device should come with a decent PSK by default, but it's not a bad ideal to change it. Avoid anything based on a common word or keyboard combination (for example: qazwsxedc). You want some good quality 'randomness' in there. Car reg, parts of phone numbers etc TBH with a wireless network you can just write it down and forget, so it doesn't have to be memorable.

With regards to some of the other attacks. If you are worried then disable WiFi when not in use, but it's a bit of a faff/easy to forget.

Liked 1,063 in 805 posts

Quote Originally Posted by joe19 View Post
    Make sure you have WPA2 enabled with a nice long pre-shared key (PSK). For example:

thedogsatandwatchedthecatsrunpast<some_random_crap _here>

It's a PITA the few times you need to associate with the network, but after that you can forget. TBH the Sky device should come with a decent PSK by default, but it's not a bad ideal to change it. Avoid anything based on a common word or keyboard combination (for example: qazwsxedc). You want some good quality 'randomness' in there. Car reg, parts of phone numbers etc TBH with a wireless network you can just write it down and forget, so it doesn't have to be memorable.

With regards to some of the other attacks. If you are worried then disable WiFi when not in use, but it's a bit of a faff/easy to forget.
    Setting the SSID not to broadcast is also a good idea.

Liked 5,626 in 3,233 posts

A lot of routers will do Mac filtering too, however it can be admin intensive if you change devices often or let friends use your wireless, etc..

Liked 1,063 in 805 posts

A lot of routers will do Mac filtering too, however it can be admin intensive if you change devices often or let friends use your wireless, etc..
    Now were talking, but then it's down to how secure your password is for the router...

I know loads of teachers who i sort their home internet issues out who have super secure wireless passwords but their password for config on the router is 'password1' or something easy.

Does make me laugh.

Liked 938 in 802 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    Setting the SSID not to broadcast is also a good idea.
    Yeah the thinking is mixed on that one. It doesn't actually hide anything, you can still view the network and 'attack' it. But say if someone wants to target the users of you network, not the network itself, then they can broadcast the same SSID and 'pretend' to be your network. As the 'pretend' network is not hidden it came come across as more legit to the user/device/phone.

MAC Addresses Filtering - Not really worth anything, the MAC addresses can be harvested from association requests before authentication occurs - just more faff.

Liked 1,043 in 742 posts

That I have done!
    I haven't got them so hard to say, some ISPs hardwire poor security into them. BT set password based on an algorithm from the SSID, the algorithm became public and they were simple to hack. I hope they have changed now but won't be surprised if they haven't. Plusnet (also BT) have a crappy system where they pre-set the password and don't allow it to be changed, if you find the back door to change it then it sends it back to Plusnet for their support to read in plain text. Appalling system.
    Istr sky don't let you change the password either.

Liked 516 in 311 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Londongal76 View Post
    A lot of cheap routers have the same preset admin passwords. 9/10 people don't change them, and i'm sure they're all over google. That would be my first guess.
    Or his mate just goes into all the bars and asks them what the wifi password is. Sometimes the old ways are also the easiest

Should Get Out More Kebab The Cat's Avatar
    Liked 105 in 64 posts
    Blog Entries

I've done a man-in-the-middle attack at my place of work, just because the sysadmin had changed some passwords and not told me, in order to further his own importance.
    It wasn't very difficult. Do not do important things in coffee shops and airports.

19. The following user liked this post made by Kebab The Cat:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum