Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kawasaki ER-5 unable to start, advice needed

Liked 1,896 in 977 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Kawasaki ER-5 unable to start, advice needed

Disconnect the heavy lead from the starter, put a voltmenter between that and the starter and press the button. That'll tell you if power is getting through to the starter motor. Actually if you have jump leads you can power the starter motor directly from a battery to check if it's working.

Liked 1,685 in 781 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Disconnect the heavy lead from the starter, put a voltmenter between that and the starter and press the button. .
    And watch your £5 Maplin voltmeter go up in a pile of smoke....

3. The following user liked this post made by nidge:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 4 in 4 posts

Ok rebuilding the starter motor looks pretty daunting so I have bought a cheap used starter online to tide me over for now - hopefully will get the bike back up and running for next week.

The haynes manual makes a right meal of it, instructing to remove the fuel tank and carburettor before getting to the starter motor removal.. This will of course give plenty of room to work with, but I am wondering if I can get away with leaving the carbs on. Have any fellow er-5 owners on here had experience with this?

Liked 1,685 in 781 posts

I canít remember the last time I heard of a starter motor going south. Iím not saying it isnít that but, If it were me, Iíd want to be 100% sure before I started to rip it out. Have you tried shorting the solenoid terminals with a screwdriver yet? Or as Tomcat suggested, connecting the battery directly to the starter motor with jump leads?

A Bit Bored
    Liked 4 in 4 posts

Yes, tried shorting the solenoid with a screw driver - no life at all from starter.

Liked 8,553 in 4,907 posts

Quote Originally Posted by daws0n View Post
    Yes, tried shorting the solenoid with a screw driver - no life at all from starter.
    Did you connect a jump lead directly from battery to starter motor ?

A Bit Bored
    Liked 4 in 4 posts

No Weeksy, that's the one thing I haven't tried... Got some hefty car jumper leads here though so doable.

Is is just a matter of hooking up a cable to the positive terminal of the battery and the other end to the starter positive input? Should I disconnect anything first? Best performed with ignition key / kill switch in on or off position?

Cheers

Liked 8,553 in 4,907 posts

Liked 4,603 in 2,887 posts
    Blog Entries

Hook the jump leads to a car to check the battery.

Liked 1,896 in 977 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nidge View Post
    And watch your £5 Maplin voltmeter go up in a pile of smoke....
    When you connect a voltmeter across the terminals of a battery does it go up in smoke, or does it measure the voltage as it was designed to do?

Liked 1,896 in 977 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daws0n View Post
    No Weeksy, that's the one thing I haven't tried... Got some hefty car jumper leads here though so doable.

Is is just a matter of hooking up a cable to the positive terminal of the battery and the other end to the starter positive input? Should I disconnect anything first? Best performed with ignition key / kill switch in on or off position?

Cheers
    Disconnect the starter motor feed lead. Connect the black jump lead to the engine or frame of the bike (not a painted bit, a bare metal bit - engine bolts are usually good for this). Then touch the red jump lead to the feed terminal of the starter motor. This applies 12V directly to the starter motor and it should turn over. If it doesn't then it's died. Just be careful not to touch the red lead to the chassis of the bike anywhere else. It may spark as you touch it to the terminal but you only need to know if it kicks the starter into life.

Liked 1,685 in 781 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    When you connect a voltmeter across the terminals of a battery does it go up in smoke, or does it measure the voltage as it was designed to do?
    Nope, but I’m not trying to draw 100a through the skinny wires... actually I don’t really know what would happen but surely you couldn’t draw starter motor current through a standard multimeter could you

Should Get Out More
    Liked 3,424 in 1,994 posts
    Blog Entries

Nope, but I’m not trying to draw 100a through the skinny wires... actually I don’t really know what would happen but surely you couldn’t draw starter motor current through a standard multimeter could you

IME there's a fuse somewhere in the meter. Sometimes it's also used as a circuit board.

15. The following 2 users liked this useful post by cheb:

Liked 99 in 61 posts

The internal resistance of the meter won't allow more than a few uA to flow. As TC says, it will just give you a voltage reading as the solenoid operates.

17. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Doc:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 4 in 4 posts

Ok, got the new (old) starter fitted and have been back up and running for a month + fresh MOT.

Over the past few days the same symptoms have been happening with this new starter (a little unresponsive, having to press the button a few times to get it to fire up). I was thinking maybe the replacement starter motor might be on it's way out too, and this evening I couldn't get it to go at all for my commute home (a couple of seconds of firing up, then nothing).

I still had my tool kit under the saddle, and luckily shorting the solenoid got it going right away! Starter sounds healthy, so I'm thinking there must be another fault elsewhere now. I've just ordered a replacement solenoid online but it will take a few days to arrive. It it safe in the meantime to keep on shorting the cables to get it go or should I leave it be?

19. The following user liked this post made by daws0n:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum