TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Anyone got experience of the most recent AMD Ryzen 3 CPUs?

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,602 in 794 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Anyone got experience of the most recent AMD Ryzen 3 CPUs?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Son wants a PC as part birthday present, part spending some money he has saved. It will be used for gaming mostly, but also schoolwork and stuff (I'll nick it too as I have some project management software that's PC only so can't use it on this Mac and my work laptop is locked down so I can't install it)

He's not into shooting cadillions of zombies over 4 screens simultaneously. Yet. Games mostly of the online ilk, Minecraft, Fortnite and the rest of it. And he doesn't have all the money in the world to spend on it

My minimum spec is 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, at least some separate graphics card (nothing too exciting, they eat cash and that's one thing that's always easily upgradeable). And if I can squeeze a 120GB SSD in there as well then I will, having experienced the performance revolution that a SSD has given this Mac

What I can't upgrade easily is the CPU. Now, I have always gone for the safe "Intel is best" option. However I can get a Ryzen 3 2200G for about the same as a Core i3. And I don't reckon a Core i3 is good enough personally and would want to stretch to an i5. Which would make the system about $100 more expensive than the same thing equipped with the AMD chip.

Online research seems to suggest I should go for the AMD item. Anyone got any personal experience?

Ta

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
    Should Get Out More TheEnglishman's Avatar
    Liked 685 in 426 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone got experience of the most recent AMD Ryzen 3 CPUs?

If youíre getting a PC to play games then intel is the way to go

Ryzen excels at multithreaded applications - which games arenít.

If heís just playing games why not an XBix/PS4 etc?

4. The following user liked this post made by TheEnglishman:

Liked 1,371 in 952 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dodgy View Post

1 Online research seems to suggest I should go for the AMD item. Anyone got any personal experience?

2 What I can't upgrade easily is the CPU.

3 Now, I have always gone for the safe "Intel is best" option. However I can get a Ryzen 3 2200G for about the same as a Core i3. And I don't reckon a Core i3 is good enough personally and would want to stretch to an i5. Which would make the system about $100 more expensive than the same thing equipped with the AMD chip.

4 And if I can squeeze a 120GB SSD in there as well then I will, having experienced the performance revolution that a SSD has given this Mac
    1 Not ryzens but I've kept an eye on them. Once upon a time I did EE at Uni & for some geeky reason try & keep vaguely up with developments in semiconductors. I use AMD a lot for my bang for me buck, but you need to check VERY carefully that when they say for example 4 core that they really are 4 discrete cores-not just emulated. Intels are 'proper job'. However that's an aside if we're focusing on gaming. See last para.

2 Yes you can-we're talking a proper tower yes? It's in a socket (they are too in decent laptops) & you just pull it out & put a better spec of processor for the same socket.

3 Latest lot are still with intel paired with a GFX card. Besides it's 'focus', like Kingston RAM, which means it keeps a value. The Skoda might be the canny choice new, but come to sell it you'll wish you'd bought a proper Golf or Audi. Consensus last time on here & elsewhere is fast i5 will do it fine. As you say forget i3.

4 IMO that's a must. Deal over here atm for those at £27. M2 slotted one would be better in a modern tower/ laptop though-faster see.

8GB RAM is fine for most things, might not be for gaming. Depends on how much DDR4 is now, IIRC it's quite pricey. Other things, new kind of GFX cards due this year & about time Intel released a Ryzen killer, which must surely be in the pipeline ().

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnglishman View Post
    Ryzen excels at multithreaded applications - which games arenít. ?
    I'm not quite so sure about that, but I have found the speed of the cpu is still significant. I have a proper 4 fat core but old i7 in my laptop. It sure is a slug compared to the fast but only dual core i7 I had in another one on day to day, photoshop, video editing off my S5 phone etc.

However, if you're running a gfx card then there is zero need for onboard graphics, & there if you're canny you can make a saving. I say I've kept up, but initially I thought those Ryzens had no gpu on board (kind of the point I thought). Having seen some deals come through into my inbox looks like some are.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answer...zen-2400g.html
    https://turbofuture.com/computers/Be...-for-the-Money
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...u,5503-11.html
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answer...ryzen-apu.html

A very canny choice might well be to pick up a system from someone who has made an error with what they thought they wanted, or has simply progressed to another level which their current rig cannnot provide.

What monitor will he be using? Gamers are very particular about that kind of thing.

6. The following user liked this post made by Editor:

Should Get Out More TheEnglishman's Avatar
    Liked 685 in 426 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    I'm not quite so sure about that, but I have found the speed of the cpu is still significant. I have a proper 4 fat core but old i7 in my laptop. It sure is a slug compared to the fast but only dual core i7 I had in another one on day to day, photoshop, video editing off my S5 phone etc.
    https://images.idgesg.net/images/art...7743-large.jpg

Intel, Intel, Intel in single thread scores. Unless anyone can name a multithreaded, popular, game?

OP - I'm thinking you're looking to spend well over a grand on a games machine, with a bit of MS Office thrown in.

Personally I'd still buy an XBox and a cheap, replaceable, laptop to do his homework on. Thus separating temptation from necessity.

8. The following 2 users liked this useful post by TheEnglishman:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,602 in 794 posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks

Probably right, I anticipate getting a cheap graphics card at present and upgrading later. So no need for the APU then and just go for the Intel.

It won't just be used for games, I did say that. Mostly that's what he wants it for, but it is also for him and me to do work on*. So not interested in a console + laptop ta. Also the sort of games he likes are more PC oriented than console type. Not bothered about temptation, all electronica resides downstairs and will do for a very long time, no TVs or computing devices allowed in bedrooms in our house

*I will, as well, as I fully intend to claim it back against tax which is allowed here. I pay enough of the fuckin' stuff

10. The following user liked this post made by dodgy:

Liked 1,371 in 952 posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks

Probably right, I anticipate getting a cheap graphics card at present and upgrading later. So no need for the APU then and just go for the Intel.
    I'm pretty sure (but do check) the intels come with onboard graphics. So you could wait on the separate Gfx card-just see what it can do on its own with the online games he's currently playing.

Another idea-what in detail is he using right now? Make, model, cpu etc. One of my fav 'tricks' with older & budget systems is to see how much the one down from top the range processor for that socket can be had from china on ebay? Sometimes it's not worth it, but other times, well a tenner for a cpu running double the speed makes for some real difference & breathes new life into something. IMLE it can make the difference from your home video clips looking a little choppy to being smooth, detailed & seemless.

BTW I had a brief look at the newest i3 chips. Not bad at all! But yes, that intel 7 at the top of The Englishman's photo is what the serious lot all go for, or would like to be able to do so. As said earlier things are in a slight hiatus right now-all are waiting to see what the stuff in the pipeline actually looks like when it arrives.

EDIT: IMO don't bother springing out the extra for a K unlocked intel. Few bother with overclocking the cpu these days-last time I did it with my own K I got all of about 3 more framerates. I'd spend the extra on the next faster locked one up.

See also this thread from only a couple months ago: https://www.therevcounter.co.uk/thre...ghlight=gaming
    Last edited by Editor; 14-05-18 at 11:32.

Liked 1,063 in 805 posts

I was at a conference we put on just after xmas and we had Intel and AMD do a presentation on their processors.

Although Intel did out perform the AMD's, AMD's processors were not that different in the grand scheme of things.

My theory is to buy a faster AMD processor that is a similar price to the Intel, that way you should get at least the same performance from the AMD as you would with the Intel at the same or a lesser price.

Liked 1,049 in 746 posts

Processor speeds haven't changed much for years, I got my son a ten year old (but top of the range at the time) Core2 processor & MB and put it into a shiny case with neon lights and a new power supply all for about £100. Then for his birthday he got a 2nd hand beefy video card that cost about the same that made almost all his games run well.
    It uses more power than modern PCs but runs pretty much as quickly for a fraction of the cost, the video card is key rather than the processor. The hard drive lets it down a bit but just means longer load times than affecting the gameplay, I did get a SSD for it but it failed and I haven't got around to fixing it as he hasn't moaned about the speed.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,602 in 794 posts
    Blog Entries

Changed my mind again after trawling round the Spiv shops down in chinatown yesterday. One of them had a bunch of rigs set up so you could try before you buy, so to speak. Ryzen 5 performance pissed all over anything else in budget and matched up to an i5 with a 1030 GPU. At half the price. So that’s settled. Buy the R5 with a decent overclockae and expandable motherboard and it can be upgraded later with a better GPU, more RAM etc

The only thing that is grating is the price of Windows 10. OS will end up costing over 15% of the price of the whole system

15. The following user liked this post made by dodgy:

Liked 1,049 in 746 posts

You could try buying a licence from eBay for a tenner.
    Even without that Windows will install and run, just with an occasional nag screen that pops up.

Liked 1,371 in 952 posts
    Blog Entries

The only thing that is grating is the price of Windows 10. OS will end up costing over 15% of the price of the whole system
    You should be able to get that through your children's school/ education at a vastly reduced rate.

Useful post that-cheers.

EDIT looks like from your post you've already sussed this, but I'd get a good quality motherboard. Lots of interesting things in the pipeline

e.g. https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-threa...gen-hedt-cpus/ Yes I know that's prob a different socket. Just for illustrative purposes
    Last edited by Editor; 20-05-18 at 10:42.

Liked 42 in 28 posts

For £500 I built one for the daughter.

Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB NITRO+
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor With Wraith Spire
    Powercool High Efficiency 550W Modular Power Supply 80 Plus
    Corsair CMK8GX4M2A2666C16 Vengeance LPX 8GB
    MSI AMD B350M BAZOOKA AM4 Ryzen MicroATX
    SanDisk PLUS 240GB,Internal,6.35 cm (2.5") (SDSSDA-240G-G25) Internal SSD
    Aerocool Dead Silence Cube Case Window Black + White Edition

Came it at better than 50% of PC's when I benched it. I had 6 months as she wanted one for her birthday, so just bought a bit a month if I saw something on offer, then I sat down one evening and built it.

Win 10 was a code off ebay, and Office 2016 was the same.

runs everything @ ultra in 1080p (well did, there are probably newer games it won't). She's well happy and her boyfriend is well Jealous

Liked 4,293 in 2,692 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mussels View Post
    You could try buying a licence from eBay for a tenner.
    Even without that Windows will install and run, just with an occasional nag screen that pops up.
    Mine only cost a fiver

Liked 1,063 in 805 posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    For £500 I built one for the daughter.

Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB NITRO+
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor With Wraith Spire
    Powercool High Efficiency 550W Modular Power Supply 80 Plus
    Corsair CMK8GX4M2A2666C16 Vengeance LPX 8GB
    MSI AMD B350M BAZOOKA AM4 Ryzen MicroATX
    SanDisk PLUS 240GB,Internal,6.35 cm (2.5") (SDSSDA-240G-G25) Internal SSD
    Aerocool Dead Silence Cube Case Window Black + White Edition

Came it at better than 50% of PC's when I benched it. I had 6 months as she wanted one for her birthday, so just bought a bit a month if I saw something on offer, then I sat down one evening and built it.

Win 10 was a code off ebay, and Office 2016 was the same.

runs everything @ ultra in 1080p (well did, there are probably newer games it won't). She's well happy and her boyfriend is well Jealous
    I do this too.

My last 3 computers have been custom builds in my old chassis.

If you look at my PC it looks like it's about 10 years old, but once you look inside you realise that it isn't.

I'm looking to do a new build in the summer actually, want to go i7/16gb and SSD, also going to get myself a new graphics card so i can add a third monitor to me music setup...

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,602 in 794 posts
    Blog Entries

Well, it’s ordered now so fuck it. Ryzen 5 2400G, 16gb RAM, 240gb SSD. Will add a gfx card if necessary later as an upgrade but judging by what I’ve seen, not required immediately.

22. The following user liked this post made by dodgy:

Go Back to Forum My Forum