Thread: Complicated Home Network setup

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 1,002 in 608 posts

Default Complicated Home Network setup

I am looking to remove the rather ad-hoc setup of my home networks and looking for a bit of advice.
    Current setup is 2 ADSL modems in the house that provide internet connectivity to 2 different networks that overlap to a large extent in the house.
    ADSL connection is around 6Mb/s down and 0.6Mb/s up. Can't do any better than that, hence I have 2 connections.

We have guests who tend to want just email/browsing/audio. No video streaming normally and mostly connected through one of the DSL modems, though sometimes provide through the other if it is acting up or we have specific requirements (e.g. Skype video conference).
    In the house we have 4 x Amazon Echo devices, various video streaming and assorted normal internet requirement...nothing too fancy. Mostly done through the other DSL modem but occasionally use the other.

The wifi access points have the bandwidth limited for guest access to try to stop any single guest hogging the bandwidth.

The 'Chocolate Factory' has one of the Ruckus WAPs from the main house but can also use the internet connection we have bridged from a friend's house (a shade under a mile away). I don't think I can reasonably ask to turn off the DHCP hosting from my friend's house.

We sometimes have to run the house off the friend's internet when the forestry cut through the BT cables, as they have twice so far this year, and normally takes about a week to get reconnected (the cable runs along the verge and through bits of the forest, but isn't on the maps...it also occasionally gets shredded when the cut the road verges).

What I'd like is to (probably) have VLANs so all the WAPs could be connected to the same Ethernet network and I could manage the RF channels better and not worry about which network I'm on to access the printers/NAS/etc.
    I have not used VLANs before though, so any pointers would be much appreciated.

Somewhat simplified network outline:
    House_NetworkTopography.jpg

Liked 1,922 in 1,167 posts

Default Re: Complicated Home Network setup

I would just use a layer 2 network switch to connect the lot up and setup the VLAN's / trunk ports / etc. It's probably the easiest route for you.

Liked 1,002 in 608 posts

Layer 2 wouldn't, among other things, even begin to allow me to isolate the DHCP hosts, would it?

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 2,396 in 1,423 posts

Buy a Checkpoint 730 and work out what you want it to do, they're about 500 and will do everything you want and a hell of a lot more
    I'm available at unreasonable rates to set it up for you, but what you want to do isn't difficult.

It'd probably help if you told us what you're trying to achieve and what your budget is.

6. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:

Liked 1,002 in 608 posts

I was hoping to do everything I want to do with no additional outlay at all!

Looking to have it so I can go over either DSL connection and have access to the printers (which are all either Ethernet or Wifi connected, or both, from each of the WAPs but have the guests not able to see anything on the internal network but have the internet at a limited speed.
    In an ideal world I'd like the remote DSL connection to be available to any of the WAPs also, but seeing as it can't be changed from being a normal BT HH6 (IIRC) with DHCP host enabled I assume that might not be so easy to do?

So, the World on a stick...or maybe just Scotland?

I've got half a dozen DSL modems of various vintage and could stretch to spending a bit on them.
    Oh, and I'd quite like to have VOIP prioritised but I'm not too hung up on that.

It sounds like you want one network for home/office and another network for guests, with both having access to both ADSLs, and neither network being able to get to the other, I'm assuming you have sepearate wifi access points for each network.
    I really doubt if you can do this with your current equipment, but I don't know BT Home Hubs, most layer 3 routers with multiple ethernet ports could do what you want, I built one a few years ago out of an old PC and old network cards running Linux, this cost 0 (I used to work for a very tight company), Google using PC as a router, you could also investigate running free firewall software on this, preferably with a graphical front end.
    What I think you want to do isn't unusual, and is pretty straightforward to do with the right equipment - your budget makes it challenging.

Liked 1,002 in 608 posts

Right. I've actually had a look and I misremembered which switch I had.
    I had ordered a couple of years back a 16 port Netgear, but it went pop, so instead of that I have an 8 port D-Link 1210-08P.

The Ruckus APs have standalone firmware loaded and can assign VLAN IDs depending on the wifi SSID a device is connected to.
    I assumed that I could set up the D-Link switch to isolate guest VLAN(s) to just see the DSL modem(s) but haven't looked properly into how to do so....

Slightly updated diagram:
    House_NetworkDiagram.jpg

Liked 1,002 in 608 posts

Minimum requirement, forgetting about the failsafe and choc factory is this:
    House_NetworkMinimum.jpg

Looks like I might be able to force the routing through the D-Link Switch, so long as the VLAN IDs from the Ruckus APs work with it.
    One of the modems is an Asus DSL-N16, which has a guest SSID function but isn't very flexible, and only seems to work through its own Wifi link.
    Unfortunately I need a minimum of 4 WAPs to get any kind of decent coverage.

The D-Link switch looks like a nice small switch for a home network, but if you want to share your ADSLs between both networks you need a layer 3 switch, router or firewall.
    If the D-Link does Dot1Q ethernet trunks and the APs also do the same you'll have no problem with VLANs (Dot1Q is the IEEE standard), but each VLAN will only be able to use one ADSL
    Guest WiFi is a pain and you could really do with one device controlling access to your WiFi network, we have devices here to do that but I suspect your budget and throughput are a lot lower than ours, have a look at the Draytek website they may do something that does what you need, you can also buy really cheap access points and put portal firmware on them that does this, I can't remember the name of the firmware though.

12. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:

Liked 1,002 in 608 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    The D-Link switch looks like a nice small switch for a home network, but if you want to share your ADSLs between both networks you need a layer 3 switch, router or firewall.
    If the D-Link does Dot1Q ethernet trunks and the APs also do the same you'll have no problem with VLANs (Dot1Q is the IEEE standard), but each VLAN will only be able to use one ADSL.
    I've had a ferret on the D-Link switch and the Ruckus GUIs and it looks like I'll be able to have what I want, at least with the 2 ADSL connections.
    They both operate 802.1Q and the Ruckus can do up to 8 SSIDs each with a different VLAN.

14. The following user liked this post made by Kneerly Down:

Go Back to Forum My Forum