TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Linux: clearing out gumf

  1. #1
    Should Get Out More RiceBurner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hiding in your blind spot...
    Posts
    14,069
    Like
    2,307
    Liked 987 in 564 posts

    Default Linux: clearing out gumf


    TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I'm trying to create a LiveUSB version of my current install of Ubuntu 16.04, mainly so that I can transfer it onto a new machine.

    I've achieved this before (over a year ago now !) using Systemback, which makes the process very easy. Systemback isnt in development any more so help is difficult to find. *

    The main issue I'm having at the moment is that the single file created is about 7Gb. Which is far too big to be converted to an ISO file.

    So, I need to shrink the overall size of the "distro" which is proving awkward, there's not a huge amount in it anyway.

    Current installation is:
    Ubuntu 16.04 lts (up to date with all updates)
    Chrome
    GIMP
    Sublime
    LibreofficeWriter
    LibreOfficeCalc
    LAMP

    and a few small utilities like Xpad, GColor2, Pulseaudio,BlueMan, UnityTweakTool.

    That's less packages than the original install!

    Most of the results in google for "shrink" involve systems or method to reduce the size of an existing ISO file, rather than reducing the overall install first

    So, any suggestions for shrinking the size of the "distro" before I generate the ISO?









    * geek-rant: wtf do half decent packages like Systemback seem to have such short lives? Its almost like the rest of the linux-geek society kill them off if they make life under Linux nice and easy. Bah!
    Last edited by RiceBurner; 15-05-18 at 15:01.


  2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
  3. #2
    Should Get Out More Yorick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lanzarote
    Posts
    34,790
    Like
    4,084
    Liked 4,281 in 2,685 posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Linux: clearing out gumf

    Tar.

  4. #3
    Expecting rain saga_lout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Essex, innit
    Posts
    25,047
    Like
    3,225
    Liked 3,976 in 2,666 posts

    Default Re: Linux: clearing out gumf

    Why?

    Why not just install Linux on the new machine and install anything extra you need that doesn't come with the distro? That's what I do.

  5. #4
    Should Get Out More RiceBurner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hiding in your blind spot...
    Posts
    14,069
    Like
    2,307
    Liked 987 in 564 posts

    Default Re: Linux: clearing out gumf

    Quote Originally Posted by saga_lout View Post
    Why?

    Why not just install Linux on the new machine and install anything extra you need that doesn't come with the distro? That's what I do.
    That's the obvious answer yes, but i have certain things setup nicely that i dint want to go through the hassle of setting up anew. (ssh keys to remote servers is just one simpler example)

  6. #5
    Expecting rain saga_lout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Essex, innit
    Posts
    25,047
    Like
    3,225
    Liked 3,976 in 2,666 posts

    Default Re: Linux: clearing out gumf

    Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    That's the obvious answer yes, but i have certain things setup nicely that i dint want to go through the hassle of setting up anew. (ssh keys to remote servers is just one simpler example)
    *Disclaimer: I use Linux but I'm no expert so I might be talking out of my arse*

    With that out of the way: doesn't Linux store stuff like that in your home folder? I have /home on its own partition, if I needed to install it on a new machine I'd set it up the same way and copy the old /home to the new /home.

  7. #6
    Should Get Out More Yorick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lanzarote
    Posts
    34,790
    Like
    4,084
    Liked 4,281 in 2,685 posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Linux: clearing out gumf

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    Tar.
    I built loads this way, but feel free to ignore me.

    5 years a Unix SysAdmin.

  8. #7
    Should Get Out More TheEnglishman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Woking
    Posts
    5,704
    Like
    12
    Liked 683 in 425 posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Linux: clearing out gumf

    RB - why not just copy the setup files back once you’ve installed from fresh? Much smaller?

  9. #8
    Should Get Out More Derek Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    27,897
    Like
    1,854
    Liked 1,764 in 797 posts

    Default Re: Linux: clearing out gumf

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    I built loads this way, but feel free to ignore me.

    5 years a Unix SysAdmin.
    whooooa 31337 H4X0R

  10. #9
    Should Get Out More RiceBurner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hiding in your blind spot...
    Posts
    14,069
    Like
    2,307
    Liked 987 in 564 posts

    Default Re: Linux: clearing out gumf

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    Tar.
    How do you use tar to create a liveUSB Iso?

  11. #10
    Should Get Out More RiceBurner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hiding in your blind spot...
    Posts
    14,069
    Like
    2,307
    Liked 987 in 564 posts

    Default Re: Linux: clearing out gumf

    Quote Originally Posted by saga_lout View Post
    *Disclaimer: I use Linux but I'm no expert so I might be talking out of my arse*

    With that out of the way: doesn't Linux store stuff like that in your home folder? I have /home on its own partition, if I needed to install it on a new machine I'd set it up the same way and copy the old /home to the new /home.

    I also want to set up a 'LiveUSB', that is - an entire OS on a USB stick that is either runnable "as is", or installable from the USB.

    As said - I've done this before, but previously the ISO was below 4Gb, so it worked fine. The ISO files I'm currently generating are over that and so don't work - hence wanting to reduce the size of the current installation BEFORE creating the ISO file to install on the USB.

  12. #11
    A Bit Bored
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

    Default Re: Linux: clearing out gumf

    What tool did you use to make the 7gb single file?
    Pinguy builder - pinguyos - should compress and build an ISO for you of your current system as is. This will run and install from a usb stick
    You can take the hard disk out of the old machine and plug it in to the new one, test to see if it runs ok. If you want to use a new hdd then minitool partition wizard will copy the old disc to the new one.
    Cleaning - var/cache/apt/archives - all the zip files in there can be removed.
    Web browser[s] caches [Not cookies if you use auto logins.]
    home/.cache/thumbnails/ - the subfolders can be emptied.

  13. #12
    Should Get Out More RiceBurner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hiding in your blind spot...
    Posts
    14,069
    Like
    2,307
    Liked 987 in 564 posts

    Default Re: Linux: clearing out gumf

    Quote Originally Posted by bitch View Post
    What tool did you use to make the 7gb single file?
    SystemBack.
    Quote Originally Posted by bitch View Post
    Pinguy builder - pinguyos - should compress and build an ISO for you of your current system as is. This will run and install from a usb stick
    You can take the hard disk out of the old machine and plug it in to the new one, test to see if it runs ok. If you want to use a new hdd then minitool partition wizard will copy the old disc to the new one.
    Might try that next time.

    Quote Originally Posted by bitch View Post
    Cleaning - var/cache/apt/archives - all the zip files in there can be removed.
    Web browser[s] caches [Not cookies if you use auto logins.]
    home/.cache/thumbnails/ - the subfolders can be emptied.
    Couldn't find the browser caches (but a good idea).
    The others seem to have done the trick - thanks for the useful suggestions.

Go Back to Forum My Forum