Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: laptop not fast enough-what next pls?

  1. #1
    Should Get Out More Editor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    23,942
    Like
    9,289
    Liked 1,431 in 1,001 posts
    Blog Entries
    44

    Default laptop not fast enough-what next pls?

    Dell Inspiron 17 5767. This very one actually:
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/.../configuration

    Says Ram is DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 8GB, 2400, 1RX8, 8G, DDR4, S

    Can't see the bit about the Gfx card but it's supposed to be same as below:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Inspiron-17-5000-Laptop/dp/B01M4KL97V
    http://laptopmedia.com/review/dell-i...-your-desktop/




    OK it's only a dual core i7 but 2.7-3.5GHz. It now has a 500GB SSD. And it's STILL not as snappy as I'd have wished/ expected. I am stunningly impatient, but doing what should be piss easy like using MS Photo App is tedious, esp when it comes to saving a bunch of post processed photos. That said I find the Galaxy S7 Edge phone lazy, & I wish an ipad pro would sometimes get a shimmy on.

    What am I missing here, or is this as good as it gets within reason?? I swear to goodness an ancient Dell 5150 runnning Mint Linux on a Pentium D 3.4Ghz with only 4GB of DDR2 & no separate card is as fast. Or feels it. Which makes fuck all sense!




  2. #2
    Should Get Out More RiceBurner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hiding in your blind spot...
    Posts
    14,239
    Like
    2,621
    Liked 1,068 in 614 posts

    Default Re: laptop not fast enough-what next pls?

    Patience?

  3. #3
    Should Get Out More KungFooBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The Forest Moon of Endor
    Posts
    15,007
    Like
    360
    Liked 6,057 in 3,473 posts

    Default Re: laptop not fast enough-what next pls?

    Fresh install of the OS, alternative OS, etc...

  4. #4
    Should Get Out More Editor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    23,942
    Like
    9,289
    Liked 1,431 in 1,001 posts
    Blog Entries
    44

    Default Re: laptop not fast enough-what next pls?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    Patience?
    Actually this is my mum's machine. The patience thing is genetic...

    Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    Fresh install of the OS

    Aw bollocks. But yes it has to be. I've even taken off Dell's own stuff too.

  5. #5
    Should Get Out More ink ink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    27,421
    Like
    136
    Liked 3,495 in 2,369 posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: laptop not fast enough-what next pls?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    Patience?
    And Prudence.

  6. The following 2 users liked this useful post by ink ink:


  7. #6
    Expecting rain saga_lout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Essex, innit
    Posts
    25,869
    Like
    3,464
    Liked 4,272 in 2,860 posts

    Default Re: laptop not fast enough-what next pls?

    i9

  8. #7
    Should Get Out More Derek Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    28,100
    Like
    2,059
    Liked 1,980 in 891 posts

    Default Re: laptop not fast enough-what next pls?

    Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    Dell Inspiron 17 5767. This very one actually:
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/.../configuration
    Firstly - Is your Mum saying it's slow, or just you? If it's just you and she's not complained, then leave it alone.

    Ok, If that is the service tag of the actual machine it's reasonably new, in fact still in warranty for a month or so. It's got 8GB RAM and SSD storage so it shouldn't be sluggish so a couple of basic questions...

    What OS is it running?

    When you say you've removed the Dell proprietary software have you rebuilt the machine or just uninstalled programs?

    I always flatten and build machines from scratch with a clean OS and they always perform much better than those straight out of the crate with OEM images.

  9. #8
    Should Get Out More Mussels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Not in London
    Posts
    17,260
    Like
    1,244
    Liked 1,139 in 813 posts

    Default Re: laptop not fast enough-what next pls?

    It's got an i7 U processor not great but any i7 should be reasonable.
    Have you checked what speed the processor is running, under load I'd expect 3.1Ghz minimum and the full 3.5 on a single core if they haven't messed up the bios as they tend to do.
    If speeds are low have a look in the bios settings for Intel Speedstep and Intel turbo, I find both can be unpredictable on Dell laptops. Try disabling them individually and together to see what difference it makes.
    Do you ever hear the fan? Check power settings to make sure it's not on passive cooling only.
    Does it have the correct power supply, if it doesn't detect the correct Dell one (nasty trick) it will run slower.

    As you can probably tell I've had trouble with slow recent Dell laptops and the more I look into it the more shoddy they look, I'm now on an Alienware version that is still lacking. I'm waiting for some decent analysis software that can make use of the GPU, it exists in theory but really needs making user friendly.

  10. #9
    Should Get Out More Editor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    23,942
    Like
    9,289
    Liked 1,431 in 1,001 posts
    Blog Entries
    44

    Default Re: laptop not fast enough-what next pls?

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Badger View Post

    1 Firstly - Is your Mum saying it's slow, or just you? If it's just you and she's not complained, then leave it alone.

    Ok, If that is the service tag of the actual machine it's reasonably new, in fact still in warranty for a month or so. It's got 8GB RAM and SSD storage so it shouldn't be sluggish so a couple of basic questions...

    2 What OS is it running?

    3 When you say you've removed the Dell proprietary software have you rebuilt the machine or just uninstalled programs?

    4 I always flatten and build machines from scratch with a clean OS and they always perform much better than those straight out of the crate with OEM images.
    1 Me. Ma thinks it's great. I don't think it's even as fast as my own 10 year old Dell. See later though

    2 Win10 64

    3 I can see where we're heading here. Just unsintalled

    4 Ghosted the HDD over to the SSD. See later

    Quote Originally Posted by Mussels View Post
    It's got an i7 U processor not great but any i7 should be reasonable.

    1 Have you checked what speed the processor is running, under load I'd expect 3.1Ghz minimum and the full 3.5 on a single core if they haven't messed up the bios as they tend to do
    .
    2 If speeds are low have a look in the bios settings for Intel Speedstep and Intel turbo, I find both can be unpredictable on Dell laptops. Try disabling them individually and together to see what difference it makes.

    3 Do you ever hear the fan? Check power settings to make sure it's not on passive cooling only.

    4 Does it have the correct power supply, if it doesn't detect the correct Dell one (nasty trick) it will run slower.

    5 As you can probably tell I've had trouble with slow recent Dell laptops and the more I look into it the more shoddy they look, I'm now on an Alienware version that is still lacking.

    6 I'm waiting for some decent analysis software that can make use of the GPU, it exists in theory but really needs making user friendly.
    1&2. All configured in BIOS

    3 Yes. Power options set to performance

    4 Def-noticed that myself!

    5 Having had the backs & fronts off both this new Inspiron is pretty flimsy & thoughtless compared to my old Precision.

    6 Lost me there!


    See later bit. Mine is dual core really old i7 2.2, sammy SSD, but through some series of fortunate events it's got 24GB RAM in it. And yes, you're right. I had some trouble with windows after I'd ghosted it over, & as per FB advice bit the bullet & clean installed mine from scratch. End of any issues.

    The only reason I didn't do my mother's is because frankly I was getting a little tired of updating & configuring every last bit of tech & I was running out of time. But the approach is now obvious. What a bore!

  11. #10
    Should Get Out More Mussels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Not in London
    Posts
    17,260
    Like
    1,244
    Liked 1,139 in 813 posts

    Default Re: laptop not fast enough-what next pls?

    Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    1&2. All configured in BIOS
    Have you checked the speed it's running at in task manager?

    Ignore point 6, it's a moan that fast graphics cards have been around for ages and software designers are still mainly producing single core apps.

  12. #11
    Should Get Out More Greenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On the Dancefloor
    Posts
    18,051
    Like
    946
    Liked 1,070 in 809 posts

    Default Re: laptop not fast enough-what next pls?

    Check out task manager when it runs slow to see if any process is either using abnormal CPU/RAM.

    If they are, find out why using google...

  13. #12
    Should Get Out More Olly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Darlington
    Posts
    15,759
    Like
    502
    Liked 1,220 in 589 posts

    Default Re: laptop not fast enough-what next pls?

    With such a distinct lack of patience, one can only assume you are already proficient at multi-tasking... and therefore, additional machines is the solution, rather than aiming for lightning performance on ONE box.

  14. The following user liked this post made by Olly:


  15. #13
    Should Get Out More Editor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    23,942
    Like
    9,289
    Liked 1,431 in 1,001 posts
    Blog Entries
    44

    Default Re: laptop not fast enough-what next pls?

    Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    With such a distinct lack of patience, one can only assume you are already proficient at multi-tasking... and therefore, additional machines is the solution, rather than aiming for lightning performance on ONE box.
    I can wipe my arse with my phone & voice dictate my emails into an andrex loo roll with the best of them mate

Go Back to Forum My Forum