Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Making a living of the stock market

Liked 2,088 in 1,157 posts

Default Re: Making a living of the stock market

I wouldn't know more than a little, as the number of millionaires I know can be counted on one hand and all have become that way through professional work, not wheeling and dealing etc.

However, if they went bankrupt, they would still have a considerable network of contacts and levers that they could pull to get back up off the floor. They're not levers and contacts that are routinely available to someone with only 5k in savings who has lost the lot.

2. The following user liked this post made by NyseriA:

Liked 2,509 in 1,648 posts

Quote Originally Posted by icarus1859 View Post
    How much do you need before itís ok to go bust?
    Assuming that bust means bust.
    Do you mean "How many dependants and what responsibilities"? It probably also needs the question answered "What's your fall-back plan?" ie who's settee will you be sleeping on?

Really Bored
    Liked 876 in 505 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Do you mean "How many dependants and what responsibilities"? It probably also needs the question answered "What's your fall-back plan?" ie who's settee will you be sleeping on?
    *cough*

Liked 2,509 in 1,648 posts

Whosupsetnow?

Whose Who'd have thought it . . . ?

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,560 in 948 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NyseriA View Post
    I wouldn't know more than a little, as the number of millionaires I know can be counted on one hand and all have become that way through professional work, not wheeling and dealing etc.

However, if they went bankrupt, they would still have a considerable network of contacts and levers that they could pull to get back up off the floor. They're not levers and contacts that are routinely available to someone with only 5k in savings who has lost the lot.
    :Plusone:

The few very wealthy folk I know have got that way by actually "doing stuff" for want of a better term.

Liked 5,455 in 2,837 posts

I'm genuinely curious to know what you mean?
    Like "Hey, I lost all my money, house, wife, etc - so please can you lend me a mil to get started again" type stuff?

If the Axe's go bust then they declare bankruptcy and start again, loads of people have done it.
    Like I said, it's not for me, I grew up in a northern town with an old man who was an Engineer and I'm programmed to only collect what I've earned in graft, but for some people (maybe Axe's missus) they're exceptionally driven and intelligent and some get very rich. However, I did go and work in places were getting shot and blown up were a daily hazard, so in the grand scheme of things I risked literally everything, including my life and it turned out ok.

All I'm saying is that perhaps you're doing Axe's burd a disservice, maybe she isn't a nutter, perhaps she's chasing what she knows she's worth.

On another thread you've got Pax saying he's going to pack in being a warehouse man and try to start a career in IT at 40-something. To me that sounds about as thrilling as waiting for a bus in the pissing rain in February.
    At least Axe's missus is reaching for the stars.

Liked 8,764 in 5,024 posts

All I'm saying is that perhaps you're doing Axe's burd a disservice, maybe she isn't a nutter, perhaps she's chasing what she knows she's worth.
    MAybe after Page 1 she said "Oh, i didn't know that, i better stop"... We've got no idea but there seems to be a lot of assumptions on here about Mrs Axe and her risk perception towards her family without actually knowing what she did or didn't do when given the information

9. The following user liked this post made by Weeksy:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,560 in 948 posts
    Blog Entries

But then again I'm assuming this is the same Mrs who wanted to build a dodgy loft conversion that at best would make your house very hard to sell and at worst would be a severe fire hazard...

Liked 8,764 in 5,024 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dazzle View Post
    But then again I'm assuming this is the same Mrs who wanted to build a dodgy loft conversion that at best would make your house very hard to sell and at worst would be a severe fire hazard...
    But didn't after she was given that information?

Liked 2,088 in 1,157 posts

I'm genuinely curious to know what you mean?
    Like "Hey, I lost all my money, house, wife, etc - so please can you lend me a mil to get started again" type stuff?
    There may be an element of that, but what I mean is they still know all the people to make a given revenue stream start up again. You see it all the time with company directors, for example - hit the skids (for whatever reason) then lose the lot and then back as a director within a year or so.

I am suggesting that there's more risk to losing everything from a standard employment where you haven't networked extensively than from falling up high and bouncing.

What I haven't done is give an opinion on Ax's partners activities. If she is going into it with an informed approach then I wish her the best of luck.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 325 in 206 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dazzle View Post
    Slap that bitch!

Liked 5,455 in 2,837 posts

There may be an element of that, but what I mean is they still know all the people to make a given revenue stream start up again. You see it all the time with company directors, for example - hit the skids (for whatever reason) then lose the lot and then back as a director within a year or so.

I am suggesting that there's more risk to losing everything from a standard employment where you haven't networked extensively than from falling up high and bouncing.

What I haven't done is give an opinion on Ax's partners activities. If she is going into it with an informed approach then I wish her the best of luck.
    Do you mean company owners, going bust, then putting the business in the wife or kids names, then carrying on?
    Yeah that happens.

But otherwise I don't know what your point is, a director could go bust and then get another job as a director? Maybe, sometimes, depends whether he did anything criminal. If he's a director of a PLC then he might not get another job with anyone else. In a year or two he could be right back where he is now.
    But equally Axe could go bust and then in a year be back in the same job he is now, with his missus doing the same thing.

Axe has got a few grand and a bit of equity in a house, I'd perhaps be more inclined to gamble that than I would a couple of million.

I think you're just hung up on numbers, for all we know Axe is well connected in his industry and could get a job no problem, just because he isn't earning millions and hob knobbing with Richard Branson doesn't mean he's dead in the water if something happens. In a year or two he could be right back where he is now. In fact the less you have to lose then the easier it might be to get it back.

Liked 3,959 in 2,087 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MsignorMartinez View Post
    Slap that bitch!
    Straight into the TRC top ten misogynistic posts of the year.

16. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Reburner:

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Go Back to Forum My Forum