TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leathers vs. textiles in 60mph lowside

Not Much To Do
    Liked 79 in 56 posts

Default Leathers vs. textiles in 60mph lowside

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I know this isn't recent, but thought some could be interested in this German article, which tests various leathers versus textiles in a 60mph crash. However, could anyone help with the German translation?

Screenshot_2020-03-02 kombitest pdf.jpg

The test looks a bit like the sort of evolution that MotoCAP is considering, if I remember Spin rightly?

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 5,257 in 3,310 posts

Default Re: Leathers vs. textiles in 60mph lowside

3. The following user liked this post made by mrlongbeard:

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 5,257 in 3,310 posts

Maybe useful for track monkeys, but for road riders....

The slip travel of the dummy 100 km / h was usually about 50 meters
    ... you'll have hit a car or 2, a kerb and a road sign before you get to 50 meters travelled sliding on your backside

Liked 2,091 in 1,370 posts

Yeah 50m is a long way. Unless you were on a m way maybe. Can't see any textile lasting 50m with holes so you're then reliant on the armour helping abrasion. Tbf though most textile only gets A rating which is about 25mph isnt it?

Saying that I've just read an old (this time last year) ride article on denim riding Jeans. They dragged them from 0 to 30 and back 4 times. All but 2 got some holes at the edges of the aramid lining, but most stood up to 2 goes before any holes in the outer layers which I thought was pretty good. Most damage occurred on the 3rd and 4th drag.

Liked 1,659 in 972 posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrlongbeard View Post
    Maybe useful for track monkeys, but for road riders....

... you'll have hit a car or 2, a kerb and a road sign before you get to 50 meters travelled sliding on your backside

FWIW: IIRC, in most of my crashes I travelled in the same direction as the bike was initially travelling.... ie down the road. Physics actually means that that will happen - ie you'll keep travelling in the same direction as you were before the incident (depending on the circumstances of the incident, natch).

Liked 4,023 in 2,671 posts

Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    FWIW: IIRC, in most of my crashes I travelled in the same direction as the bike was initially travelling.... ie down the road. Physics actually means that that will happen - ie you'll keep travelling in the same direction as you were before the incident (depending on the circumstances of the incident, natch).
    Spin will be along shortly to mention the old claim that riders have been heard to make "I had to lay the bike down to avoid a crash!"

8. The following user liked this post made by Horse:

Liked 6,844 in 4,263 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Spin will be along shortly to mention the old claim that riders have been heard to make "I had to lay the bike down to avoid a crash!"
    That's bollox. If you lay the bike down, you HAVE crashed. If you stay on you MIGHT crash.

10. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Yorick:

Liked 4,023 in 2,671 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    That's bollox. If you lay the bike down, you HAVE crashed. If you stay on you MIGHT crash.
    Which is the second thing that Spin would point out

12. The following user liked this post made by Horse:

At Work
    Liked 516 in 279 posts

Just been onto Google maps to measure how far I slid, RD400 70/80mph, full leathers 17 and silly. I hit the kerb on the exit of an "S" bend and went over the ace bars. Did about 50m on my left shoulder arm initially, then onto my back/arse. This was about 1980/81 so no armour and only double layers of leather on the arse and elbows. The leathers didn't hole but I still have the scars on my arse where the lining moved internally and cuts on my arms and knees. Stopped on the opposite side of the road about 1m from a car which had fortunately stopped.
    The leathers where still usable and I sold them to a mate a few years later when I got too fat for them.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 79 in 56 posts

Smile Re: Leathers vs. textiles in 60mph lowside

Reading this translation, it looks like crappy leathers beat even the most expensive textiles. So here I am mowing the lawn.

Last edited by Zebedee; 03-03-20 at 21:54.

Liked 4,437 in 2,218 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Supermofo View Post
    Yeah 50m is a long way. Unless you were on a m way maybe. Can't see any textile lasting 50m with holes so you're then reliant on the armour helping abrasion. Tbf though most textile only gets A rating which is about 25mph isnt it?

Saying that I've just read an old (this time last year) ride article on denim riding Jeans. They dragged them from 0 to 30 and back 4 times. All but 2 got some holes at the edges of the aramid lining, but most stood up to 2 goes before any holes in the outer layers which I thought was pretty good. Most damage occurred on the 3rd and 4th drag.

As i may have mentioned before i might have been lobbed from my Multi on a dual carriageway at 70-80 mph and slid/tumbled for (estimated) 75-100m and this was result of the slide on my Dainese Goretex textile jacket which is fairly thin material and i am sure my older Rukka would have held up better.

As you cam see, it went through the material as supermofo suggested but the armour stayed in place and i didnt have so much of a scratch on my right arm despite the holes in the material and the ripped off panels on the shoulder

I should add it was pissing wet weather which contributed to the length i probably slid along the road which may have helped the jacket out as well as a dry road would have been more abrasive and a shorter slide

I keep the jacket at work now as a training aid to try and talk the yoof into wearing more than a hoody while riding

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,120 in 659 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
    I know this isn't recent, but thought some could be interested in this German article, which tests various leathers versus textiles in a 60mph crash. However, could anyone help with the German translation?

The test looks a bit like the sort of evolution that MotoCAP is considering, if I remember Spin rightly?

Chris Hurren's not actually tossing himself off a bike, he's built a pair of test rigs.

The lab test rig ensures the material is tested consistently - the conditions of each test are exactly the same. The photo in the article looks dramatic, but how you land and roll will differ each time and so the results will not be consistent.

What he has been working on - and I'm waiting to see results - is how his new test rig has performed. This is towed behind a car to check the wear against REAL road surfaces and thus calibrate the lab test results.

17. The following user liked this post made by The Spin Doctor:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,120 in 659 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bigyin View Post
    As i may have mentioned before i might have been lobbed from my Multi on a dual carriageway at 70-80 mph and slid/tumbled for (estimated) 75-100m and this was result of the slide on my Dainese Goretex textile jacket which is fairly thin material and i am sure my older Rukka would have held up better.

As you cam see, it went through the material as supermofo suggested but the armour stayed in place and i didnt have so much of a scratch on my right arm despite the holes in the material and the ripped off panels on the shoulder

I should add it was pissing wet weather which contributed to the length i probably slid along the road which may have helped the jacket out as well as a dry road would have been more abrasive and a shorter slide

I keep the jacket at work now as a training aid to try and talk the yoof into wearing more than a hoody while riding
    That's in line with Liz de Rome's work - she found that fabric material failed in low speed crashes quite regularly but the body armour took up the job of resisting abrasion, if it didn't move. It didn't do much to prevent fractures.

Liked 2,091 in 1,370 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
    Reading this translation, it looks like crappy leathers beat even the most expensive textiles. So here I am mowing the lawn.
    That's old news though isn't it? I remember several years ago reading a Ride article where Tesco jeans lasted about 0.5 seconds, textile about 1 second and a cheap basic set of leathers lasting around 4, and that was not double layered or very thick. Things have moved on since esp with some lined jeans, but my basic assumption would be leather would be better than textile at sliding in most situations.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,120 in 659 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Supermofo View Post
    That's old news though isn't it? I remember several years ago reading a Ride article where Tesco jeans lasted about 0.5 seconds, textile about 1 second and a cheap basic set of leathers lasting around 4, and that was not double layered or very thick. Things have moved on since esp with some lined jeans, but my basic assumption would be leather would be better than textile at sliding in most situations.
    You may also recall a 'Fake Britain' programme which tested some counterfeit leathers against the well-known brand they ripped off. They tested them against an un-named standard (probably the original Level 1 as it was some years ago) and the fakes JUST failed. The brand JUST passed. There wasn't much in it although the presenters spun it as showing how dangerous the fakes were. What it really showed was how poor the originals were! (Can't say the same about the fake AGV helmet - it just disintegrated when hit with an anvil weight on the test rig.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission