TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Is the Moto 6G phone any good ?

At Work
    Liked 373 in 223 posts

Default Is the Moto 6G phone any good ?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    My current phone is a Lexus 4 which I bought new about 4 years ago and replaced the battery 2 weeks back
    at the same time I reset the phone and it did all the updates and stuff but now randomly turns itself off,
    it might happen once every few days or each day but it does it often enough to be frustrating and I now
    remember this used to happen a few years ago too when it updated to 5.1.1. Back then i put 4.4.4 on it and it
    behaved itself but i forgot all about.
    I could go back to Kitkat but I think it's time for a new phone anyway.

At first I was considering the Moto G5S but then started looking at the G6 Play and now the G6.
    The G6 is 3G ram 32GB storage but for an extra 20 Amazon are doing a deal and you get
    4G ram and 64G storage and at 239, that's quite attractive.

Are there any other Android phones I should be considering around that price ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...KL5A1OLE&psc=1

Liked 4,337 in 2,907 posts

Default Re: Is the Moto 6G phone any good ?

I used https://www.productchart.co.uk/smartphones/ when I was looking for a new phone last year. I'm not sure how up to date it is but it should help you to narrow the field down a bit.

3. The following user liked this post made by saga_lout:

Liked 1,303 in 664 posts

Take a look at the Nokia 8. It's a premium phone with a spec that compares with stuff twice the price, it's pretty much the same inside as a Google Pixel. None of the Android bloatware you'll get on a lot of stuff so compares well to the Nexus and can be had for a shade under 300.

5. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Pirahna:

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 4,046 in 2,589 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pirahna View Post
    Take a look at the Nokia 8. It's a premium phone with a spec that compares with stuff twice the price, it's pretty much the same inside as a Google Pixel. None of the Android bloatware you'll get on a lot of stuff so compares well to the Nexus and can be had for a shade under 300.
    The 2018 model is running at 650, wonder if it's worth the extra over last years..

7. The following user liked this post made by mrlongbeard:

Liked 1,303 in 664 posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrlongbeard View Post
    The 2018 model is running at 650, wonder if it's worth the extra over last years..
    You're talking about the new Nokia 8 Sirocco model. It's not a replacement for the Nokia 8, it's a different phone, both models are in production. The 2 stand out differences are RAM goes from 4 to 6gb and the screen is OLED with wrap around edges compared to the flat LCD. It says the screen is larger but the phone is slightly smaller so I assume they give the size of a flattened out screen. Would I pay an extra 350 for 2gb of memory and a curved screen, probably not.

9. The following user liked this post made by Pirahna:

Ahh I thought the 8 had ceased and the Sirocco was its replacement, didn't realise it was still in production.
    Which in itself is a bit daft, whilst the Sirocco is a flagship model more akin to Pixel, S9, 1+6 etc, it's not (imho) worth the step up from the plain 8.

All this tiny incremental 'improvement's BS is probably why I wait at least 3 or more years before getting something new

11. The following user liked this post made by mrlongbeard:

Liked 955 in 615 posts

Just bought a 2017 a5. Waterproof was important for me, as my last one drowned. Works well for me.

13. The following user liked this post made by a_morti:

At Work
    Liked 373 in 223 posts

Quote Originally Posted by saga_lout View Post
    I used https://www.productchart.co.uk/smartphones/ when I was looking for a new phone last year. I'm not sure how up to date it is but it should help you to narrow the field down a bit.
    Thanks for the link saga_lout, unfortunately it does not show the latest phones.

And thanks to everyone else, I ended up going for the G6 as it's the best new phone I could find for the price.

Them motos ain't bad, daughter had the 4 and currently has whatever the large version if the 5 is (I really should know as it's in my name )

If'n the 6 is owt like the past 2 the only advice I can give is to only turn it off when necessary because the stupid boot animation takes an age to load.

16. The following user liked this post made by mrlongbeard:

At Work
    Liked 373 in 223 posts

I am liking it so far, a cool feature (if you like that kind of thing) is slow motion video capture,
    I have been trying to find out what FPS the clips are but not been able to so far.

A couple of unedited slow motion clips

www.drop22.com/video/test.mp4
    www.drop22.com/video/test2.mp4

Liked 955 in 615 posts

I had a G4 as my first android phone. I wasn't a fan of it compared to the wife's relatively old S5 mini, as the stripped down version of android (no app notification badges!) seemed way too far pared down for my liking. I guess you could add all the missing stuff on (it didn't have a my files app FFS) with third party apps, but I just wasn't impressed. I lost it in a taxi barely 6 months after buying it, and decided I'd leave Moto alone.

19. The following user liked this post made by a_morti:

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission