Thread: HP Pavilion keyboards, do they really differ that much?

Liked 7,570 in 3,971 posts

Question HP Pavilion keyboards, do they really differ that much?

I had a Glass of wine/Jack Russell interfface recently, with the resulting spillage killing the keyboard on my G6 notepad lappy. Ordered a s/hand one and it didn't work? Thought perhaps it was fault or the wrong one and tried another and that didn't work either. So assumed teh wine has done more damage. But then I got to thinking, i'm just looking at Paviallion G6 keyboards that look right, but not by specific model number, i.e. g6-2298sa. Are they likely to be different? The ribbon fitting was the same on the 2 I tried.

Should Get Out More Derek Badger's Avatar
    Liked 1,980 in 891 posts

Default Re: HP Pavilion keyboards, do they really differ that much?

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    I had a Glass of wine/Jack Russell interfface recently, with the resulting spillage killing the keyboard on my G6 notepad lappy. Ordered a s/hand one and it didn't work? Thought perhaps it was fault or the wrong one and tried another and that didn't work either. So assumed teh wine has done more damage. But then I got to thinking, i'm just looking at Paviallion G6 keyboards that look right, but not by specific model number, i.e. g6-2298sa. Are they likely to be different? The ribbon fitting was the same on the 2 I tried.
    Fluids aren't likely to kill a keyboard. It's just a bunch of switches effectively. Does it still boot properly? Have to tried an external USB keyboard?

3. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Derek Badger:

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Badger View Post
    Fluids aren't likely to kill a keyboard. It's just a bunch of switches effectively. Does it still boot properly? Have to tried an external USB keyboard?
    It workls with the little pop up one you can use. Cant remember how i found it now though

Liked 1,616 in 967 posts
    Blog Entries

It workls with the little pop up one you can use. Cant remember how i found it now though
    IIRC on screen keyboard can be found within the accessibility settings but that doesn’t solve the problem with the physical keyboard.

I’d be doing as the Badger suggests, try an external keyboard which will test the USB drivers and ports.

6. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Silly Car:

Liked 1,432 in 1,001 posts
    Blog Entries

I had a Glass of wine/Jack Russell interfface recently, with the resulting spillage killing the keyboard on my G6 notepad lappy.
    Oddly enough I have one of those torn down right to the base on my sofa atm. Going by the standards I've encountered I can't for one minute think HP would use anything differing in standard or connection if they could get away with it. Of course getting that wee film cable back in & aligned is invariably a bit of a sod. Well I say that, go at it carefully with good light, be precise & you should hit it right 1st time. You did of course clean off the actual connector-PCB cleaner spray & use the end of the original keyboard film cable (also cleaned) to work it in & out.

You'd be very lucky to have got off so slightly with fluids into a laptop though.

The 'good' news is it really isn't very nice or at all thoughtful inside. There are also known issues on the hinges on those too**. And the bastards have soldered the cpu in, so no chance of an upgrade. Actually I hate it-glad it isn't mine.

Maybe time for something newer. But not a HP, please!

** why this is stripped down here. Left has seized so solid it's torn the plastic mounting apart on the base. Needing rebuild, which means taking screen apart, which is something I've never done & as it isn't my own, I've been putting it off. Fucking fan is on the 'wrong' side too, so when that fails it's a total strip down to base. Nasty piece of design that is.

Liked 1,432 in 1,001 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Badger View Post
    Does it still boot properly? Have to tried an external USB keyboard?
    That, but leave USB keyboard in & use laptop for everything that it can do, so you know it hasn't killed some other piece of hardware. DVD, check all the USBs, display ports etc. And the charging/ power one. Especially that one.

But it is horrible!

New keyboard sorted it.

Go Back to Forum My Forum