TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone know about (flying) drone racing.

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 954 in 576 posts

Default Re: Anyone know about (flying) drone racing.

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    That's the good thing about having a group with more people than quads!

Do the regs mean there has to one 'line of sight' spotter for each quad flying FPV or is one spotter for a group of quads acceptable?

nb: don't really like using the word 'drone' unless it means something that flies unaided. Quadcopter is too long and quad means quad bike here.
    Is there a word that is coming into parlance (or that we can bring in ) that's more useful?

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
    Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 3,818 in 2,449 posts

I think you'd need to ask the CAA for clarification, or find a quad / drone / UAV forum which may have guidelines and interpretations of the requirements, all I have to do is point clients at the regs. and the exemption from permission requirements and let them make up their own minds.

About permissions from CAA; https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unma...drone-flights/

Exemption from permission requirements; https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/1226.pdf

If'n if it were just you, Pax of Joe Blow playing silly buggers in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere I probably wouldn't worry about it, but if you're trying to do things in a community group type environment you might want to get some guidance.

At Work
    Liked 346 in 203 posts

You might want to look for quads which are sub 250g as there is meant to be a new regulation coming out next year
    requiring registration and tests for pilots of 250g and over quads

"from 30 November 2019, all owners drones that weigh at least 250g will have to register with the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and take an online safety test.
    Anyone who fails to register or sit the competency tests could face fines of up to 1,000.
    Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/uk-drone-laws-2018-3146402#BlzBUMBGy4A46TcI.99"

Myself and a couple of friends went out with quads and cars at the weekend I made a video from the pics and footage
    Last edited by Eclipse; 15-06-18 at 12:06.

5. The following user liked this post made by Eclipse:

Pax

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 954 in 576 posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrlongbeard View Post
    ...but if you're trying to do things in a community group type environment you might want to get some guidance.
    This is the Highlands. Guidance from the TRC massive is plenty!

Liked 1,741 in 1,070 posts
    Blog Entries

Yeah, what longbeard is saying is probably right. I was mostly talking about line of sight flying as beginners, which in my experience was the most dodgy time, even with the toy grade ones. I did some things that, despite considering the danger and not being entirely reckless, I still regretted because things didn't go the way I expected - in one case simply sending the thing skywards and then not being able to control it as already mentioned, in another case putting the wrong software setting in and the throttle being stuck on full when I powered it on, again skywards very fast. In both cases had I FPV I could have brought them back, but instead I had to cut throttle and let them drop, which was awful. Thankfully they both landed in the immediate area and hadn't covered any lateral distance at all, which was a good thing as there was stuff about. Now I fly where I would have to be supremely unlucky to land on a dog walker in the same situation.

If KD's lad is doing racing, then FPV is obviously going to be thing, and in groups of people at "organised" events, flying through hoops and things like that, you're probably in more danger as you're going to be bringing it back to where everyone is standing, and at least crossing a bearing at high speeds/turns that might have the thing come towards you if crash/control loss at the wrong moment. Because I just fly FPV in elongated circles (the most adventurous I get is ground skimming for snazzy videos), if I want to give it some beans I'm doing it on the downrange bearing where I know there's nothing to hit (a spotter serves to help tell me if a dog walker has wandered in to that area, though I chose that bearing for the fact that they don't go that way, plus I would likely spot them in the goggles anyway). I'll pull a high-G turnaround maneuver thing, possibly do some flips if I'm not using self-levelling mode (which I often do 'cos I'm not so good), then complete the elongated circle at a more sedate pace always at a very moderate altitude.

So, as I say, yer ornery flying and where to do it (the best, safest and most legal place is going to be at an RC flying club) involves a good appraisal of stuff. Learning to race or do freestyle (which means flips and stunts and deliberately flying up/down/around ground objects, and which far too many idiots on Youtube do in places they shouldn't) is obviously very aggressive and will involve crashes and danger, so should be undertaken by folks who know in a place where nobody is (KD land I imagine).

At which point I should add - recovering the thing after a crash. Make sure you get a buzzer on the thing that will go off when connection to transmitter controller is broken and that the props will stop too. The thing comes to ground, you instantly switch off the controller to prevent motors burning themselves out (or the props chewing things up). Then the buzzer will be sounding too for when you go look for it. You'd be amazed how difficult it is to spot something in a wide open level field with short cut grass. You'd think you'd see it easily - nope. You'd think that the image still being received in the FPV goggles would help you find it - 90% of the time, nope, you can only see grass. Make sure you've got that buzzer fitted. Another case there for a spotter.

Liked 1,741 in 1,070 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
    You might want to look for quads which are sub 250g as there is meant to be a new regulation coming out next year
    requiring registration and tests for pilots of 250g and over quads

"from 30 November 2019, all owners drones that weigh at least 250g will have to register with the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and take an online safety test.
    Anyone who fails to register or sit the competency tests could face fines of up to 1,000.
    Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/uk-drone-laws-2018-3146402#BlzBUMBGy4A46TcI.99"

Myself and a couple of friends went out with quads and cars at the weekend I made a video from the pics and footage
    Cheers I didn't know that.

9. The following user liked this post made by Pax:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum