Thread: Help! Windows update hanging.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,322 in 1,586 posts

Angry Help! Windows update hanging.

I let Windows do an update lat night at about 8:00 pm. At 11:00pm it was only at 84% so I left it overnight. This morning it is still at 84%.
    Despite the screen warning I have tried switching it off - that does nothing, it just reboots to the blue 84% screen. Nothing else on the keyboard works!

Help!

Should Get Out More

Default Re: Help! Windows update hanging.

Panic over.

I managed to force a stop by switching off, removing the battery, and then rebooting. Windows automatically restored to the previous version.

Liked 6,059 in 3,474 posts

Pressing the power button will just put it to sleep... if you hold the power button for approx 10 seconds it will properly power off (just like you did by removing the battery).

4. The following 2 users liked this useful post by KungFooBob:

Should Get Out More

Update.

Bollocks! After several attempts to defer the damn update indefinitely it sneaked through again last night - and hung at 84% again same as last time. AFAIK it is a 'features' update, and I don't give a stuff about the new features so am happy to miss it.

Anyone know how to turn updates off, or (preferably) go back to the old ways of being able to select which updates to allow?

Liked 1,431 in 1,001 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
    Update.

1 AFAIK it is a 'features' update, and I don't give a stuff about the new features so am happy to miss it.

2 Anyone know how to turn updates off, or (preferably) go back to the old ways of being able to select which updates to allow?
    1 features is a big bastard & yes it can take a while to prepare to download, then actually download, & then install.

2 Old way is def out. You can fool it by telling it you're on metered connection for your wifi. But you know what a bastard 10 is for resetting itself.

TBH I'd comply with the bastard & keep it updated. It'll only keep bleating on at you if you don't & one day you'll miss some vital security one.

Run the windows update troubleshooter. IME that usually sorts it all out. Just type 'troubleshoot' into your box, click on the best match (says system settings below it) & 4th one down in 'Get Up & Running' is Windows Update.

7. The following user liked this post made by Editor:

Liked 2,579 in 1,870 posts

There was a big update about a month ago that i had issues with. My laptop also hanged and it turn out to be my laptop was set to sleep after half an hour so the update did not fully happen. I could not do anything either but a reboot was all i needed and switched the sleep off in safe mode and went back to windows update to start again.

9. The following user liked this post made by 1888:

Should Get Out More Derek Badger's Avatar
    Liked 1,980 in 891 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    1 features is a big bastard & yes it can take a while to prepare to download, then actually download, & then install.

2 Old way is def out. You can fool it by telling it you're on metered connection for your wifi. But you know what a bastard 10 is for resetting itself.

TBH I'd comply with the bastard & keep it updated. It'll only keep bleating on at you if you don't & one day you'll miss some vital security one.

Run the windows update troubleshooter. IME that usually sorts it all out. Just type 'troubleshoot' into your box, click on the best match (says system settings below it) & 4th one down in 'Get Up & Running' is Windows Update.
    I shared a Microsoft tool with you when you were having a similar issue. It allows you to 'hide' updates so they don't prompt you to download/install them again. I take it from this post you didn't use it...

11. The following user liked this post made by Derek Badger:

13. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Derek Badger:

Should Get Out More

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Badger View Post
    I shared a Microsoft tool with you when you were having a similar issue. It allows you to 'hide' updates so they don't prompt you to download/install them again. I take it from this post you didn't use it...
    I did, but it seems to expire after a bit. Either that or I'm a numpty (and that can't be true).

Go Back to Forum My Forum