Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: ***Car Thread***

Liked 4,275 in 2,863 posts

Default Re: ***Car Thread***

I saw a "proper" Mini on the road today. I'd forgotten how small they are compared with the modern, maxi Minis.

2. The following user liked this post made by saga_lout:

Liked 1,307 in 836 posts

There is nothing Mini about the BMW version.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,562 in 950 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    . I did read about the leccy tech in F1 which not only gives things a bit of a boost, but esp gets that wee bit before the turbo happening & preps up the turbo itself. I wonder?

F1 engines have two electric motor/generators (MGUs).

The MGU-K is what you might think of as a traditional hybrid motor - it drives direct to/from the crank to provide power and recover braking energy.

The MGU-H sits directly on/in the turbo and spins at ~100k rpm. It recovers energy from the exhaust gases to either pass directly to the MGU-K, or to a battery for later. It can also spin up the turbo and/or provide more boost than the exhaust gases alone.

I'll let you work out what the K and H stand for

Lots of cars have the equivalent of an MGU-K now, it was on the road before it was in F1. AFAIK no road car has an MGU-H yet...but they're pretty common in industry. They will be in the new AMG Project 1 Hypercar though.

The biggest thing F1 has done is drive some development of small highly boosted engines. More subtle things like combustion chamber or fuel injector design. In fact F1 engines use an idea called "Turbulent Jet Ignitoon" (Google it, fascinating stuff) that does away with the spark plug in the cylinder. That idea was originally dreamt up for road cars.

5. The following user liked this post made by Mr. Dazzle:

Liked 1,151 in 821 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dazzle View Post
    That idea was originally dreamt up for road cars.
    And I suspect all the road car manufacturers are waiting for the patents to run out.

Liked 6,059 in 3,474 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mussels View Post
    And I suspect all the road car manufacturers are waiting for the patents to run out.
    I'm guessing Fords heated screen patent ran out sometime in the 10's because my BMW Mini has one.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,562 in 950 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mussels View Post
    The two guys who thought it up worked at Marhle IIRC...one of those sort of firms anyway. One left to go to Ferrari, one to Mercedes HPP (i.e. the F1 engine bit) hence why those two teams got it first.

Mercedes and Ferrari both feed their F1 engine tech directly into road cars. That's not just marketing hype BTW.

I should imagine the hold up is just making it work in a road car long term, plus having an engine to put it in. Not the kinda thing you can just bolt on.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
Go Back to Forum My Forum